VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Bharatratna.... Kunjamma....1936

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Chithoor Nagiah as Thyagayyaa.....

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Sangeetha Bhoopathi.....Viswanathapuram Maharaja!! (as he was called) in concert..a still of 1944.
(imagine his darbar... mukhari and kambhoji...)

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Veena maestro Sangeetha Kalanidhi K.P.Sivanandam Pillai 1944 (hailing from the tanjore quartert parampara!)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That kunjamma and MLV take the cake !

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Scanned Review of a madurai somu radio concert - 1954

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Young and handsome VV Sadagopan

Where did he disappear?

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Vidwan Mayavaram Rajam Iyer

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Someone must be having a clearer version of this famous picture circa 1954.

Flute Mali at Thyagaraja sangeetha vidwath samajam, with Chembai on Violin, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer on Mridangam....

VISHNURAMPRASAD

GNB with Master T.N.Krishnan and Mylatoor Ramachandran

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Here he is...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VVS never disappeared! He merged within our hearts!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

To conclude:

Melody Master Madurai Mani Iyer singing for a mridangam arengetram of Master Srinivasan son of Dr.Varadachariar at Mayavaram with Thiruvalangadu sundaresa Iyer on the Fiddle. The report says that the boy played very well (Circa 1953)

Now who is this Srinivasan (He must be 66 years old by now!), I think he did not come to the limelight...

This picture reminds me of the great Thiruvengad Jayaraman, who sang for several arangetrams with full of joy to encourage young talents.... I have been fortunate to attend a few of them during 80s.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:1951 - Chembai - with young vellore ramabhadran in mridangam - can some let me know who the violinist is?
The violinist is Shri T K rAmachandran (son of lalithadAsar aka T G krishna Iyer ), of pAvana guru (hamsanAdam) fame.

courtesy : came to know from one of the photographs where manakkAl sriram showed me when I visited his home. I think it is the same T K rAmachandran.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 Jun 2007, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

rajeshnat wrote:The violinist is Shri T K rAmachandran (son of lalithadAsar aka T G krishna Iyer ), of pAvana guru (hamsanAdam) fame.
I am sure u meant HamsAnandi...:D
-bhaktha
Last edited by bhaktha on 01 Jun 2007, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Vishnu, thank you very much for the lovely pictures. Each one is a gem indeed. There's a beauty in these vintage photos that seems to be missing in most modern, high-tech pictures.

Again, many thanks.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

bES balE sabAS
Whenever I seen MMI's photo, I can't only imagine - aaaan kAlinil chilambuuuuuuuuuu
Last edited by ksrimech on 02 Jun 2007, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:Chithoor Nagiah as Thyagayyaa.....
Isn't this from the opening scene of the movie in which nAgayyA gAru is singing rAma mantrava japisO? You should see the brilliance in his face and the twinkle in his eyes. If cittUri nAgayyA had this much, then imagine how much more the real tyAgayya would have?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vishnuramprasad,
VVS, as CML aptly said, lives in our hearts. There were two articles about him in the Hindu a few years ago (one by Sujatha Vijayaraghavan) which Meena posted on our forum several months ago. You would get the story from there.
A true renaissance man.
In your blaze of pictures, there are two from the same family (Rukmini Sunderajan, his sis-in-law, with Pattamma
at the MA concert)!

As for the caricatures you put up earlier--they are by the inimitable Mali, the staff cartoonist of Ananda vigaDan.
Last edited by arasi on 02 Jun 2007, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I just could not resist posting this! Pl post the context if any of you know!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

http://www.siliconeer.com/past_issues/2 ... y2005.html says

"M.S. Subbulakshmi (l) receiving an honorary degree from erstwhile Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi."

meena

Post by meena »

geetham yeh ;)
I just could not resist posting this! Pl post the context if any of you know!
MSS receiving an honorary degree from PM Indira Gandhi.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Food for goose is food for gander :)
That is quite clear. Where and when ?
How come it is not MS awarding an honorary doctorate to Indira Gandhi :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

While we are at MSS-IG

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

some more fun

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

and a sizzler

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

VK,
The pic of Smt. MSS and IG that you posted predates the latter's premiership, IIRC...this was from the times when she was Pt Nehru's official hostess...
CML,
The ceremony that your pic shows, is it the awarding of the Viswabharati?

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

wrt #79, While Dwaram and the Keeranur Bros are known. any info about the two ladies in the picture.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

1) CML-Your comment on MS (giving award to IG) is superb !!!
2) In Madurai Somu's scanned review- "Saarirathil Ravai Jaathigal Niraya Pesina"-I want to know the meaning of this....."Ravai Jaathigal"...
3) MLV and MS (1936) photos are gorgeous. Could not take my eyes off...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bharath,
One is Vasundara, Vyjayanthi Mala's mother. The other woman, I read the name as Manikkam on the sleeve...

Vasundara Devi had a very nice voice (so does Vyjayanthi).

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

grsastrigal
as her (IG) father remarked MS was the alltime Queen of Music and she was just a Prime Minister of India !

Thanks arasi
now I recognize Vasundhara!

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:This picture is not relevant to carnatic music.. but am compelling myself to insert this one.... a rare picture of the great Theppurumaanallur Annadhaana Sivan (1852 to 1920s). The title Annadhaana Sivan was bestowed by the public! the late kanchi Maha periayaval has given a great account about this selfless soul. If somebody has more information about this mahan, please do share it with me. (sorry for the deviation.. could not avoid it:))

http://i18.tinypic.com/4p0l91d.jpg
Sri.Theperumanallur sivan or Annadhanasivan as he was known was working in the Madapalli of Tribhuvanam Khampaharesvara temple.He used to organise mammoth annadhanam during temple festivals including Mahamahams.was very much devoted to Sri.Mahaperiyava and when he passed away Mahaperiyava wa supposed to have commented that he had been liberated from the cycle of births and deaths.He used to collect curd and buttermilk in wooden barrels and put them in the Mahamaham tank to preserve them from turning sour.
When Kanchi mutt was facing a financial crisis he gave all the collected groceries and Srimatam was able to overcome the temporary crisis.He breathed his last in the agraharam in Tribhuvanam

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

cmlover wrote:I just could not resist posting this! Pl post the context if any of you know!
http://i7.tinypic.com/503ebg4.jpg
This was when MSS was awarded Doctorate by Delhi university in 1976 or so

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

cmlover wrote:grsastrigal
as her (IG) father remarked MS was the alltime Queen of Music and she was just a Prime Minister of India !

Thanks arasi
now I recognize Vasundhara!
I have a souveneir published byThe Music academy about MSS where a rare photo of MSS witha veritable Whos' who of Carnatic music right from ARI,Musiri,Semmangudi,Maharajapuram,Chembai,Alathur and all mahavidvans of earlier era are there.I shall try to post it soon.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

grsastrigal wrote:2) In Madurai Somu's scanned review- "Saarirathil Ravai Jaathigal Niraya Pesina"-I want to know the meaning of this....."Ravai Jaathigal"...
could this have reference to the gamakkam 'ravai'...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks baboosh for the clarification!
Look forward to your post!

arasi

Post by arasi »

bharath,
What you have guessed it right. 'kuralil-SarIraththil- ravai puraLugiradu' is an expression (the voice swills around). Good examples of this: GNB and Rafi. jAthigaL has nothing to do with castes! Of that genre, of that kind is what it means here. One meaning of ravai besides the ingredient for uppumA and dOsai is--possessing a fine quality--a voice which displays grades of finesse, one could say...

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

ravai (with its fine grainy particle size) is a good lubricant just like graphite--ball bearings except in much smaller size. I think it is used figuratively here for the frictionless rolling voice box.
Last edited by mahakavi on 05 Jun 2007, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Dear Baboosh
Please upload the picture of MS iu mentioned...
waiting for it :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:1951 - Chembai - with young vellore ramabhadran in mridangam - can some let me know who the violinist is?

http://i14.tinypic.com/5xhpa51.jpg
The violin Vidwan appears to be Mysore Chowdiah. This also appears to be a studio recording of AIR .(Look at the banner behind !)
Last edited by cienu on 21 May 2008, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rshankar wrote:VK,
The pic of Smt. MSS and IG that you posted predates the latter's premiership, IIRC...this was from the times when she was Pt Nehru's official hostess...
rshankar

Sorry. Just happened to see this thread today and hence the late posting. :)

You are right . This picture of Indira Gandhi predates her Prime Ministership. Infact this was taken at the Kalki Gardens , sometime in mid 1950's. The flowers which adorn Indira Gandhi's hair must have been specially strung for her from the Jasmine creepers of Kalki Gardens.
Last edited by cienu on 21 May 2008, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri cienu,

Thanks for confirming!

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Baboosh ji .. please post the pic of ms wih gaints ARI,Musiri,Semmangudi,Maharajapuram,
Chembai Alathur .......
Eagerly waiting for the pic ... :)

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

Aditto wrote:Baboosh ji .. please post the pic of ms wih gaints ARI,Musiri,Semmangudi,Maharajapuram,
Chembai Alathur .......
Eagerly waiting for the pic ... :)
Shall locate from my collections in attic.Please bear with me for a couple of days

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Dear Baboosh

I was waiting since 1 month for the pic !!!!!!!Can u upload pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

sangeeta chandrasekar

Post by sangeeta chandrasekar »

great work vishnu.....fantastic n wonderful pics....thanks a lot.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Sangeetha Shastra Visharadha Mysore Sri K. Vasudevacharya (front left sitting with Mysore style turban) and Mysore T. Chowdiah (siting next to Vasudevacharya) along with Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam and his desciples.