Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2017

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hnbhagavan

Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2017

Post by hnbhagavan »

The other great exponent of carnatic Music is Madurai G S Mani .his concerts are of a kind much above the standard of even very famous and popular artists.He gives very few concerts and held in high esteem in music circles,but Music academy has not thought it fit to confer Sangeethakalanidhi.
Last edited by hnbhagavan on 31 May 2017, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Sachi_R wrote: 31 May 2017, 03:58 A sudden brainwave.
Why not Music Academy lay to rest all controversy and accusations of chicanery by focussing for the next ten years on conferring POSTHUMOUS awards of Sangeetha Kalanidhi?
So now we should actively debate the order. Who should get it first?
Mali/TNRP/Somu/MDR/SB/Palani/Lalgudi/Voleti/SK/TKR/.....
who would conduct proceedings of morning session ? This will never happen...

For us, all of these gaints are sangeetha kalanidhi and beyond !!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 31 May 2017, 12:56 The other great exponent of carnatic Music is Madurai G S Mani .his concerts are of a kind much above the standard of even very famous and popular artists.He gives very few concerts and held in high esteem in music circles,but Music academy has not thought it fit to confer Sangeethakalanidhi.
He was too involved in movie circles.

It is onr of the reasons Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan didn't get SK.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

MS Amma, MLV, DKP, GNB, Musiri, papanasam sivan to quote a few, were associated with movie circles too..

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Movie point can be taken/not taken depending on whether Music Academy wants to confer the SK or not.Madurai GS Mani's musicianship is far superior to many Vidwans who got SK title.His vast Knowledge,Balanced Concert Paddathi and even in movies his interest is to promote classical Music in younger generation which is to be appreciated.
As pointed out by Madam several people have at various point in their musical career have taken to films.
It is however not too late if Vidwan GS Mani is indeed conferred the title.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Has been discussed ad nauseam and beaten to death, still there is a thread for this year after year. How about folks like Nadopasana Srinivasan, Perambur Sangeetha Sabha Sethuraman, Asthika Samajam Narasimhan, SAFE Ramabhadhran & all those unknown holy souls who have painfully recorded great music of the 50s to the 80s era and shared it selflessly to others!!

Again as someone told here before, Discussion on SK is like discussion on the fate of civilization, akin to the art of knitting- can be Taken up every now and then when there is nothing much to talk about!!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

pattamaa wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 09:31 MS Amma, MLV, DKP, GNB, Musiri, papanasam sivan to quote a few, were associated with movie circles too..
But not to the extent of GS Mani. PS preferred to do Namasankeerthanam, and he got it so late anyways. Musiri starred in 1-3 movies; same for GNB. DKP refused to sing anything but devotional or patriotic. MS quit after Meera (a brilliant move from a publicity viewpoint). MLV too quit after 10-ish years.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Listen to a wonderful lec-dem by GS Mani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rclf1mGHixA

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Nadopasana Srinivasan,SAFE Ramabhadran etc did yeomen service to the cause of music.
There should be a different award which may be instituted by the Rasikas for such organisers.Because of them you are able to have concert reviews,discussion etc.In fact locally present Rasikas should take lead as such leaders are in Chennai,Cleveland,bangalore,New Delhi,Hyderabad etc.
Why restrict to Chennai?In fact S V Narayanaswami Rama Navami festival completed 79 years in Bangalore.Similarly in Mumbai there are several people in Shanmukananda Fine Arts,chembur Fine Arts etc organising music programs.
Sangeethakalanidhi is for performing musicians and let it be so.Come on Rasikas chip in and honor the great organizers who facilitate music concerts.
Arkay Ramakrishnan is doing a tremendous job in Chennai.
Last edited by hnbhagavan on 01 Jun 2017, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

hnbhagavan wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 20:15 Arkay Ramakrishnan is doing a tremulous job in Chennai.
Hear hear!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Typo error-Should be tremendous. Corrected my post.
Perhaps Age is showing up in my posting.

devan

Post by devan »

Arkay Ramakrishnan,and ragassudha hall jaya are doing a great job.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

How much is SK award worth? Depends. Look at this:
"When Carl Sagan won the Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction in 1978, I dismissed it as a minor achievement for a scientist, scarcely worth listing. When I won the same prize the following year, it wondrously became a major literary award of which scientists should take special note."
Edward O. Wilson in "The meaning of human existence".

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Why don't we establish a 'Sabha Secretary Kalanidhi' (or the equivalent thereof in Sanskrit)?

varsha

Post by varsha »

PLAYWRIGHT Robert Bolt, who won an Oscar for his screenplay of A Man For All Seasons writes : "Money makes you more greedy. But it is something more than that. It is not a matter of being corrupted. It is that, when you are earning very little, you must value yourself for what you are. When you are offered fortunes, unless you are very mature you are tempted to value yourself for what you're earning. And you can fall into this temptation just when you are congratulating yourself for not having done so.

True for Awards too
When you are offered awards , unless you are very mature you are tempted to value yourself for what you're awarded.
:D

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

melam72 wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 08:12 Why don't we establish a 'Sabha Secretary Kalanidhi' (or the equivalent thereof in Sanskrit)?
Why not SABHAAPATHY (The Lord of Sabha/s)?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Going back to SK...

Ever-increasing respect and enjoyment of his music makes me propose RK Sriramkumar for our rasikas.org SK list. SKRKSK is a little confusing, but I can live with that :)

devan

Post by devan »

Academy election is to be held in June last week. Sk.announcement maybe delayed. Suriaprakash,tns. Krishna,Unnikrishnan,nityasree are not singing. Vidyakalyanaraman has been promoted

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick H wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 16:04 Going back to SK...

Ever-increasing respect and enjoyment of his music makes me propose RK Sriramkumar for our rasikas.org SK list. SKRKSK is a little confusing, but I can live with that :)
Very funny! But in all seriousness, I agree. Been listening to some of his compositions- also lovely!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

devan wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 23:39 Sk.announcement maybe delayed.
One momentarily forgets that India runs on Indian Standard Time :D
devan wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 23:39 nityasree are not singing
She never sung to begin with :lol:

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Sk.announcement maybe delayed
Decision has been made long ago... much before this forum wakes up every yr for this annual tamasha! :D

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Vidyakalyanaraman has been promoted
Bharat Sundar too...

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear melam72,

I would like to see the list of musicians who sing.Most of the persons you seem to differ regarding capability including the recent kalanidhi singer.
Request you to include only the current musicians who sing!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Among the reserved-for-youth SK awards already allotted over next few years must be for one for on-stage muscular workout and one for F1 concert driving.

More seriously.... Oh wait, unfortunately this is serious, and inevitable.

More sensibly, Yes, Ravikiran, but I am adding RKSK to my recommendations. But, just like the rest of us, I am still waiting for the committee to request them. Of course... we will wait for ever! :)

Oh! There is now an app. Maybe we can all now award SK with just one click! :lol:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

hnbhagavan wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 09:38 It is however not too late if Vidwan GS Mani is indeed conferred the title.
A true vaggeyakara, he has around 600 compositions to his credit, including some of his own invented ragas.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

sureshvv wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 10:33 A true vaggeyakara, he has around 600 compositions to his credit, including some of his own invented ragas.
HIs mudra is Rajapujitar (and not Bhaskar :lol: :lol: )

sri_rek

Post by sri_rek »

Yes. True ! Ravikiran is the most deserving from my perspective...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravikiran--not old enough in chronological age, true, but in his musical years, he is a jAmbavAn. A fine researcher, composer, teacher and communicator...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasi avl,
I totally agree with you.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran,
12 06 2017

vilomachapu

Post by vilomachapu »

I think they should give SK this year to Unnikrishnan. He is also senior and also popular.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

vilomachapu wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 18:29 I think they should give SK this year to Unnikrishnan. He is also senior and also popular.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

OS Tyagarajan,Neyveli Santanagoplan and Vijaya Siva have undiluted performances and never went forayed into film music.
It will be grave injustice if any other vocalists are conferred ahead of these Jambavans.In fact Madurai GS Mani should be considered ahead of others.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Is it such a sin to have ever had anything to do with the film-music world? Whilst I have a probably-unreasonably strong dislike of film music, I don't see that it matters if an artist who sings perfectly "chaste" music on Mondays to Fridays performs rap on Saturdays!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Singing film music is not a criterion for eliminating a candidate, if indeed there are criteria. MS, MLV, DKP, GNB, BMK, even Musiri (he acted also) - that is a strong list to be an exception. Perhaps singing CM like FM must be a disqualifier!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

kvchellappa wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 17:07 ... Perhaps singing CM like FM must be a disqualifier!
:lol: --- as opposite-sex mridangist and violinist chase each other around stage-set trees behind him or her. :twisted:

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Sangeetha KalAndhi for Unnikrishnan ?! What a joke ?! Let him first learn to sing with his mouth open instead of lipsinging.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

When i mentioned OST,Vijaya Siva and Madurai GS Mani,i did not mean they get SK because they did not do film music.May be i Conveyed wrong reason.In fact Madurai GS Mani has worked with MS Viswanathan Music Director.
Foraying into Film music should never be a criteria for not giving SK.
I feel these three musicians are great musicians and performed for decades.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Even in this forum, I do not think we can have a consensus on who should get it. Whoever gets it, there will be many deserving ones left out. Even if say, one of the three get it, what about the other two? The only solution may be to give it on seniority basis, and the committee will do well to know in advance when someone is likely to retire, so that he may be chosen, as it is not possible to give it posthumously!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

You guys don't listen. I already suggested that the next ten years should have only Posthumous awards.
1. Bhatkhande - 2017
2. Begum Akhtar
3. Prayaga.. dasa
4. Rajarathinam Pillai
5. Mahalingam
6. TK Rangachari
7. MD Ramanathan
8. S. Balachander
9. Gauhar Jaan
10. Mandolin Shrinivas - 2026.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Before someone jumps in and questions Sachi's list (even the dear-departed will not be spared!), and routinely squashes down all other suggestions--why not IMAGINE that Rasikas.org starts its own awards (mind you, to match the SK award which alone becomes the bone of contention every year) and then imagine how bricks come flying in our direction! A sobering thought...:)

Imagine, I said. No problem there. Even a rasikA badge stays an imagined thing to this day :lol:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

kvchellappa wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 22:06 Even in this forum, I do not think we can have a consensus on who should get it. ... ... ...
Even the Music Academy committee probably doesn't. At least, not until the day they formally vote. Then, as we know from the announcement, it will be unanimous.

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

The voices of Ariyakudi, MDR, Semmangudi , to name a few, are best suited to sing classical music; one can not imagine they sing light music and definitely for films.
However Chembai can not be included in the above list as he has acted and sung in a film but his singing in the film was far from being ‘light’.
MLV has sung for a number of films and they are memorable ones. Whether her being a classical musician helped her in the singing for films (or) adapting to the requirements while singing for films helped her in developing impeakable voice culture; we, the rasikas have enjoyed her singing both in concerts and films.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sachi_R wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 22:51 You guys don't listen. I already suggested that the next ten years should have only Posthumous awards.
If you searched all over youtube there are so many remembrances on various artistes - you are trying to convert a music festival into one of those. I think that should be left to near and dear ones and those others committed to doing that, to organize that - more appropriate and fitting.

My suggestion would be a middle aged artiste who may be flying high or low - either way will get enhanced stature to further the reach of sangItam for the rest of his/her life!

They could get elders who didn't make it to share knowledge through presentations to increase the "kala" nidhi within the musical commons. If they are not good presenters , qualified young scholars must be guided by them to do presentations on their material with additional research around their knowledge!

varsha

Post by varsha »

the trouble with rasikas is
as someone said about economists
if you lay them all end to end
they will still point in all directions

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Varsha,
Can't lay them end to end. They mouth such nonsense that the stench is unbearable for any alignment!

(Of course I am talking about that egregious breed called economists.)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Your PS helped! I became a little uneasy and I thought I would cease to pretend to be a rasika. I am not an economist anyway. So that does not hurt!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Sachi_R wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 11:47 (Of course I am talking about that egregious breed called economists.)
There is no point in blaming economists.

They are trying to do the impossible of predicting the future, and are using the most scientific methods and models to do so. Of course, politics influence their economics, making them less objective in general (look at Manmohan Singh for example, though, in case, it was his willingness to be controlled by Sonia Gandhi which made him that way). Historians are no different (refer to that raging unprincipled imbecile Romila Thapar as an instance), so mea culpa.

However, what we historians and economists do is far more objective compared to the jothidars and fake and famous swamis patronised by many Rasikas...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sachi_R wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 11:47 Varsha,
Can't lay them end to end. They mouth such nonsense that the stench is unbearable for any alignment!

(Of course I am talking about that egregious breed called economists.)
The visceral reaction after my post is poignant :? . The long space between the statement and the post script - redundantly parenthesized - smells like :

aSvattAma hatAhata

(....(...(..(.(narOvA kunjarOvA).)..)...)....)!!

:evil: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

P.S: Increasingly redundant parenthesis simulate the drowning sound of conch! Dramatization in social media 8-) :lol:
Last edited by shankarank on 16 Jun 2017, 10:35, edited 6 times in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

melam72 wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 04:39 what we historians and economists do is far more objective compared to the jothidars
Well now jothi in jothidar and jyOti in jyOtisha is the objective truth about our origin and fate linked to stars ( makara jyOti for e.g) which it is - a way for sages to draw (even) a materialist in distress into satva - through continuous cycle of frustration and inquiry ;) !

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well I was more respectful of remembrances than SSI who was quoted before in this thread referring to the entire proceedings as 13 day kAryam :shock: even for a living nidhi! :twisted: :lol:

As regards the stench - I even clarified that there is no recourse to Ganga , Yamuna or Cauvery even though they still retain their holiness! :lol: