- Pantula Rama
- Sowmya
- VV Subramaniam
- Vikku
- Neela Ramagopal
- OS Thiagarajan
- Dr TS Sathyavathi
- TM Krishna
Add to this list with votes and your comments!

CHELLAM

Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2017

Post by CHELLAM »

my vote for smt Aruna Sairam or sri Ravikiran or Neyveli Sri Santhana Gopalan

CHELLAM

Post by CHELLAM »

my vote is for
ARUNA SAIRAM
NEYVELI SANTHANA GOPALAN
RAVIKIRAN

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It's long overdue.
Haha... It is not often that is said of a fifty-year old!

But true.

I support giving the Marketing Kalanidhi to Aruna. Seriously, actually: she certainly gets people into concert halls.

(I did say that some back biting was inevitable in this thread, and I am not innocent of it!)

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

I campaign for Bombay Jayashri

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Sri NSG is a highly deserving candidate . He gives me the impression of a modern day Narada or Tyagaraja while he sings , I don't mean to say anything wrong about them.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Nick H wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 20:43 Seriously, actually: she certainly gets people into concert halls.
'People', eh?

I refuse to call them people. They are bovines, of the highest class, who chew on the Cowherdess' Naughty Boy song or her Epic Rap.

No, not people.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Well, they can be sherple, people, bovine, or asinine, and we are know who belongs to which group. Self-evident (truth).

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

Sri. Ravikiran or Sri.T.M. Krishna.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I wonder whether insulting an artist or rasikas is the done thing in this forum.Sad indeed.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

kvchellappa wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 07:47 I wonder whether insulting an artist or rasikas is the done thing in this forum.Sad indeed.
Insult is all about perception. If you choose to be insulted, or see insult where there is none, then it your fault, not mine.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

rshankar wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 06:37 Well, they can be sherple, people, bovine, or asinine, and we are know who belongs to which group. Self-evident (truth).
You missed out one group - the porcine, like moi.

We porcine roam around, looking for true Karnataka sangeetham in Tamil Nadu (pun intended, and existent) and elsewhere.

We are akin to Snowball from Orwell's Animal Farm, where we try to use logic to separate truth from jabberwocky.

People may call us trolls, but it hits us not. We shall continue, whether we are fed or not, for that is the porcine path.

*oink* :lol:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

kvchellappa wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 07:47 I wonder whether insulting an artist or rasikas is the done thing in this forum.Sad indeed.
It is tradition in the annual SK thread. So who should dare alter it?

As an off-topic aside, it should be pointed out that, in the current political climate, bovine is where it's at. Humans are nothing on the scale. :twisted:

Seriously about insulting artists: I don't think we should be vindictive or hurtful. But if they are artists, then criticism of their art, by both the informed and the uninformed, is part of the deal and they must be able to deal with it.

Personally, I would rather keep quiet about those I do not like and talk about those that I do. But I don't mind being blunt about the likes of Boy Racer or the Kickboxer, because I find their antics, whether of voice face or arms, simply inappropriate and unacceptable. That, to me, is not where this music should be going and people should say so. But I bet there's at least one future SK in the couple that I mention. :evil:

And... just in the past couple of weeks, I have found out what Harimau had against abhangs. And subscribed to it. :lol:

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

melam72:

You missed out one group - the porcine, like moi.
We porcine roam around, looking for true Karnataka sangeetham in Tamil Nadu (pun intended, and existent) and elsewhere.

We are akin to Snowball from Orwell's Animal Farm, where we try to use logic to separate truth from jabberwocky.

People may call us trolls, but it hits us not. We shall continue, whether we are fed or not, for that is the porcine path.

*oink* :lol:
Welcome back :mrgreen:

So I guess this is the next avatar we have all waited for -- Team Varaha? Or Team Oinkie?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. - George Bernard Shaw

melam72

Post by melam72 »

And, Mr Chellappa, may I add that this forum has witnesses, is witnessing, and witness, affronts?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

sureshvv wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 14:35 I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. - George Bernard Shaw
and...

Do not try to teach a hippopotamus to sing: it is a waste of time and only annoys the hippopotamus.

(Perhaps not particularly relevant. But hey, one of my favourites!)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Here we go round the Kalanidhi bush--an annual ritual, a tad early this year, it seems...
Porcines smelling out (or spreading??) trouble rather than truffle, folks :(

Now, along with varAhA, comes into view a hippotomus rolling a pea.
Ah, our annual celebration in the hallowed hall of CM :roll:

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nick H wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 13:33
It is tradition in the annual SK thread. So who should dare alter it? Seriously about insulting artists: I don't think we should be vindictive or hurtful.
Right..I have been seeing the thread title but did not have time to get into it but figured/feared that this tradition may rear its head going from good satire/putdowns to ugly muckraking. Keep it with in the bounds of good taste, folks.

devan

Post by devan »

Wait till the name is announced. We will have great fun.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

devan ,
I think you already know the name of who's getting sK !

vasanthakokilam

devan wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 21:28 Wait till the name is announced. We will have great fun.
Thanks for the warning.. like politicians getting anticipatory bail, we will have to set up anticipatory moderator watch,, Given your bANI of only posting satirical and caustic one liners, i am sure you are gearing up for the event ;)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The trouble is that rasikas.org swings the pendulum between being overly offensive and overly prissy.

Let us be neither. But let us be blunt.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
What can I say except ask: remember Roger Moore's hit in the sixties 'England swings like a pendulum do' ?

Well, sing the following to that tune :)

sangItam swings like a pendulum do
rasikAs are ready for jousting too!
Music Acade..my, the tower of CM--the
Burning cheeks of the volatile force... :D

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

And have a bit of perspective.
1. What's it? An annual title for lifetime achievement in CM
2. Who awards it? The most reputed sabha in CM.
3. Is it like Oscars? No way, since there are umpteen sabhas and no two people will agree on who deserves it most in any year. (even Oscars are ridden with controversy)
4. Is it a make or break for a musician? No way

arasi

Post by arasi »

How true, Sachi. I'm with you, but when they make it a burning question, I hope (and pray?) that they bring it down a few notches--from arson to just burning cheeks, that's all...:)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

arasi wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 23:19 Nick,
What can I say except ask: remember Roger Moore's hit in the sixties 'England swings like a pendulum do' ?
Yes, I do. Well sung!

And, elsewhere, 76-year-old Joan Baez is admitted to Rock And Roll Hall of fame. Did they have Music Academy members on their committee for the past forty years? :twisted: :lol:

Sachi, just one correction: it is awarded by the most self-important sabha.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Sachi_R wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 23:34 1. What's it? An annual title for lifetime achievement in CM
It is given importance only because of the Music Academy's first-mover advantage in establishing this award. In fact, the first actual Sangeetha Kalanidhi was awarded in 1943, and the Indian Fine Arts Society beat them to the chase by awarding the Sangeetha Kalasikhamani first, which inspired the award of the Sangeetha Kalanidhi.
Sachi_R wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 23:34 2. Who awards it? The most reputed sabha in CM.
The most arrogant, condescending organisation in CM.
Sachi_R wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 23:34 3. Is it like Oscars? No way, since there are umpteen sabhas and no two people will agree on who deserves it most in any year. (even Oscars are ridden with controversy)
Yes, because musicians think so.

vasanthakokilam

Nick H wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 14:08 The trouble is that rasikas.org swings the pendulum between being overly offensive and overly prissy.

Let us be neither. But let us be blunt.
This thread will be fine since the offensive comments that will inevitably be made are about the senior artists and they will have to deal with it.
Not to go too far off topic, but in the concert review threads of up and coming artists, sometimes comments are made which affect them deeply. Especially if they think the comment is factually wrong and it put them in bad light professionally. I do feel for them. There is this tension between anonymous members who have nothing to lose making comments against artists who have a lot to lose. That asymmetry is a real problem not just here but in any other open social networks. Further, artists do not feel comfortable getting in the pit here which can get muddy quickly. The only viable and scale-able answer is counter opinions posted by other members. Some of it is growing pains which only they have to deal with.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Undoubtedly and perhaps considering the stature of the institution, 'Sangita Kalanidhi' could be the 'Oscar' of Carnatic Music. I have said this on several earlier occasions; possibly the first to compare it with the 'Hollywood birudu'. (Give me a 'nidhi' for this!)

Notes:
I am not related to any of the MA functionaries
I am not related (other than as a rasika) to any past awardees
Not on any occasion MA has asked my opinion(!)
Not on all occasions I have been happy of the choice

Shall we now leave the floor to the Academy?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

MY VOTE FOR RAVI KIRAN.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

While Ravi Kiran superbly deserves the award, it is unlikely that he will get it THIS year for, the previous year it was awarded to an instrumentalist, Kanyakumari.
Although Ravi Kiran is an all rounder, he is well known as ChitrveeNa Ravi Kiran, an instrumentalist. If it is not him, I would like to recommend the senior vocalist O.S.Thyagarajan for this year's award.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

OST

varsha

Post by varsha »

OST
+1
If the establishment is sensible
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5x44npd9a ... stream.mp3

pvs

Post by pvs »

OST
+1
beats me how he has been not recognized yet.

Thanks VarshaJi for another peek into your treasure trove of recordings! Please open the flood gates :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Varsha,
What a nugget! How mellifluous! A lec-dem like no other--a sheer joy to listen to. Scholarship many have. That, with a spontaneous presentation like this is somewhat unique--at least for me. GNB comes to mind, but with even more depth if I make any sense. His scholarship and involvement with music simply shines. All greats of yore are seen here. I am listening to it again without stop.

Big thanks :)

varsha

Post by varsha »

my pleasure
pvs .. Will look into the request :)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

OST gave a brilliant ritiGaula exposition reminiscent of the nasals of SSI on upper reaches. It was a memorable SSI model concert. Here is the Konnakol from that concert https://youtu.be/kSv7zdmeCW4?list=PLpLx ... beUb7b47c4

But as dvaitamu sukamA started, his lack of control on the timescale showed up and he could not produce that sukam. Each syllable can be held and released in this kriti esp. on the pallavi. Hold/pause/release is not something he has control over. His heccharika in 2 kaLai khanDa Ekam was not convincing. In both cases Akshay did phase adjustments.

In the TMT school I have seen only Raji Gopalakrishnan doing justice to time scale : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zar4ZGnk-Eo

Her rasikapriya pallavi in miSra nadai ( Cleveland 2000 IIRC - vInA gAna rasikapriYE - don't remember uttarangam) ) and a special sangati ( TMT pATam?) in mInakshi mEmudam , mE;;EEEEcA kA;; AAAAngi(Columbus Ohio 2001) done with verve and a bit of stridency is still something I savor.

Nirmala/Subhashini duo - different vazhi and different feminine style of yester-years!

OST if he had that edge in him - would be another Ramnad. His ravais in that Lec Dem sounds a lot like Ramnad.

That said , if Mridangists who could not sing have been awarded ;) and there are vocalists who lost their Sruti by the time of their knighthood @ the Mecca, OST certainly should be a candidate in the reckoning! Every musician has his flaws and weaknesses !

varsha

Post by varsha »

This thread will be fine since the offensive comments that will inevitably be made are about the senior artists and they will have to deal with it.
add left handed compliments to the list.
And remarks that have no connection with the thread. Sorry I posted my vote for OST . That would have avoided giving a foot in the door. May the best of average capabilities- across the spectrum of demands that cm makes , get it ( considering that cm is like a 20 band equaliser )
pvs , arasi mail me in private for more :D

varsha

Post by varsha »

3. Is it like Oscars? No way,
no way , in many other aspects..too
1.oscars are for the concluded year
2.oscars are decided by more than a group of people who are elected members of a closed society.

at least the oscar committee makes amends with its lifetime achievement awards to those who were unfortunate to lose over career spans in a system that had deficiencies arising out of the time frame of choice.

kalA nidhi ... what a beautiful term !!!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

varsha wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 11:00 at least the oscar committee makes amends with its lifetime achievement awards to those who were unfortunate to lose over career spans in a system that had deficiencies arising out of the time frame of choice.
So does the Aca-dummy, like it did for Lalgudi Jayaraman ayya and 'Baby' Kamala (the latter, of course, when she was NOT a baby :lol: )

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

While sangeetha Kalanidhi associated with Music Academy influenced by Sangeetha Pita maha Semmangudi ( as per reports) awarded the title to violin Maestro T N Krishnan in1980 itself.As per reports it was offered to Lalgudi Jayaraman post 1985,but was refused by the Maestro.
MS GopalaKrishnan was awarded the title in late 1990's or early 2000.
MD Ramanathan did not live long enough to get noticed by Music Academy pundits.However MDR was highly regarded had a regular slot in Music season.
Music Academy made late amends and granted Life Time achievement award to Lalgudi jayaraman.
Palghat KV Narayana Swamy in an interview after the SK title did regret That MDR was not awarded the title.
TV Gopalakrishnan was awarded with title a couple of years ago.
Time only can tell if the likes of OS Thyagarajan and Vijaya Siva will be awarded or not.
Getting the title definitely enhances and brings parity among the contemporary musicians perhaps psychologically.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 14:21 MD Ramanathan did not live long enough to get noticed by Music Academy pundits.However MDR was highly regarded had a regular slot in Music season.
He was noticed the year before he passed on, but Makku-demy (மக்கு-Demi) passed him over for Dr Pinakapani, IIRC.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I think part of the "rationale" had to do with rotation of the home state of the awardee :(

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, and his advancing years too...

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Selection criteria is purely based on a few guys sitting around a table in a closed room with a list of names written on a black board and they singing inky pinky ponky ...... The name which stands unstruck is the winner of the SK.

At least the last few years the way in which the awardee has been chosen definitely baffles many!

Least discussed the better !!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 02 May 2017, 00:49 Yes, and his advancing years too...
Shouldn't that have worked in his favor (am assuming we are discussing MDR)?

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I'm thinking Arasi ji meant Pinakapani garu's advancing age.