A snippet from Sruti magazine

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kvchellappa

A snippet from Sruti magazine

Post by kvchellappa »

From Sruti magazine:
Shekhar Sen and Pappu Venugopala Rao assured us that since our roots are based on the sheer science of Nature, the soul of our music is indestructible. “We always tried to know, not to believe,” reiterated Sen.

Sachi_R

Re: A snippet from Sruti magazine

Post by Sachi_R »

Amazing, but true. Consider that all the 22 srutis in our system, starting out with Shadja (Sa), its third harmonic Pa, fifth harmonic, Ga, and so on, all derive from Nature: a simple vibrating string!

http://www.22shruti.com/research_topic_22.asp

Sa leads to Pa (3rd harmonic) and Ga (5th harmonic), in turn we get Ri (3rd harmonic of Pa) and Ma (Tara Sa will be the 3rd harmonic of Ma)..and so on!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Why would music not derive from nature?

It's like "research shows that your cat understands what you say." Whoa. But I knew that and I didn't need "research!"*

But I'm not trying to say it is any less wonderful. Whether we just listen, or enjoy the mathematical aspect too, indeed, music is a miracle of nature. :)

*I made this one up. But... I know it's true anyway :lol:

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Why, even mechanical things, like the hum of an AC or the revving of the bus, can be construed as music! Everyone knows the story of how Semmangudi replicated a baby's crying musically during an alapana of Shankarabharanam, and even the hum of an LG air conditioner seems to be like the prathi madhyamam being repeated in Tishra Nadai!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Semmangudi replicated a baby's crying musically during an alapana of Shankarabharanam
I have heard an artist do that. Some people don't seem to mind!

:twisted:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Melam,
An unrelated question: What do you think of Rohan, the famous mridangist?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

But be careful, lest you infringe a patent!

(kvchellappa: any more in the worm-can cupboard? :twisted: :lol: )

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Could ShaDja mean - the one from which the other 6(ShaT) are born (ja)? May be that makes sense in the grama system - i.e. ShaDja is born out of them!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Confession: I sing in 2 pitches-one to my Washing Machine and the other my Dryer.My wife's Hair Dryer Pitch is too high for me!! Most of the appliances have specific pitches-my dishwasher has MDR's pitch!!! The advantage with all these appliances is that they "drown" out my Sruthi infractions.

Ofcourse nothing beats my shower sruthi! I let my imagination fly! Today it was Kannada Gowlai!!!!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

kvchellappa wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 20:25 Melam,
An unrelated question: What do you think of Rohan, the famous mridangist?
Let him row his way to glory. Let him become the Asthana Vidwan of the Kalamazoo Samasthanam. Let him make a biopic about him, and call it 'Ayalnattu Percussion Chakravathy'.

Let him do all, of this...
As long as he doesn't Ro(han) up my alley :lol:

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: 13 Apr 2017, 21:10 Ofcourse nothing beats my shower sruthi! I let my imagination fly! Today it was Kannada Gowlai!!!!
I was singing a Pallavi in Bhavapriya in the shower today!