The Cleveland Aradhana Festival 2017

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: The Cleveland Aradhana Festival 2017

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Meenakshi: Great pics. The "shutterbug" that you no doubt are, you have managed to convey the diverse spirit of the Aradhana ambience.I really missed the festival this time being 400 miles away --so near and yet so far!!!
In the pics that you are in--especially the three-some with Lakshmi Rangarajan WHO is the other lady? I am afraid I may have met her before but am not able to place her. Your pic withBhushani has come off well.
Keep on the clicking!!!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I don't really begrudge their visits :D

It is good for you; good for them. :D :D

(Sushi and I are now listening to a youtube video of an amazing concert by TNK with Trichy Sankaran, in California, 2002. Thanks to the internet, it is a small world. Or, of course, as some might say, a big ghetto! :twisted: :lol:)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

arasi wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 09:10 Happy that you could catch bits of the younger set singing today. I tried to stay near my maDik kuzhandai as much as I could.
That is quite an endearing reference to the laptop, Arasi! Very nice :)

I am still wondering why this year my overall perception of the Cleveland Aradhana was a notch up. May be the increased mix of dance programs throughout the two weeks? Granted i did not watch a lot of it but it felt that way.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Kokilam,
I don't now about that. For two reasons. 1. I couldn't watch that much as I did in the previous years.
2. Every year, I have nothing but admiration for all that is made possible at Cleveland where they run a festival of its kind happen. No mystery about that. It's like a mega movie production of yesteryears.
A Ringling Bros circus too. Different acts, different folks, from different places...What I mean to say is that it's a huge undertaking. Needs chutzpah and all the planning, endless pairs of helping hands AND moola! That's why I'm amazed each year I spend time watching it for two weeks :)

Also, the stuff you watched must have been made available by choosy rasikAs. Just a guess...

meenaakshi

Post by meenaakshi »

MKR, That is Subhashini Parthasarathy, daughter of Nirmala Sundararajan.

Missed you :(
Last edited by meenaakshi on 28 Apr 2017, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Thanks everyone for your comments and info on the Aradhana. This year, I am not feeling upto it and I have not listened to any concert. When I feel better, I may listen to them. Hope to be back in circulation soon.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Meenakshi,

It's nice to see your pictures from Cleveland. Thanks!

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Thanks to Sridhar and Shankarabharanam for the beautiful pictures. Nice details on the happenings there too. Nick, like Arasi says, the Cleveland Aradhana concerts are like a lifeline to India for me.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Thanks all for the excellent reports on the Festival and those who made the event grand as usual.

-from me at Chennai-the capital of Carnatic music

srikrishna

Post by srikrishna »

before they had this singing Aradhana it was only a simple affair - somebody in tyAgaraja's lineage doing a ritual ( not sure for a person who took sanyas - what that could be) - downplaying the importance of somebody expressing gratitude in his remembrance.

Aradhana is the counterpart of the annual Remembrance Day (Abdikam or divasam) for sanyasis. It is a ritual conducted by the sons or sishyas (especially if the sanyasi did not have any sons in his purvashram).