Ranjani and Gayathri answer questions

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kvchellappa

Ranjani and Gayathri answer questions

Post by kvchellappa »

I have been thinking of this for a long time and I find it true:
"As for your question whether mastery over music comes in the way of enjoying a song, our answer is, certainly.
One is conditioned by one’s experience, knowledge and pre-set ideas of what and how music should be. The more the experience and knowledge, the more the barriers to free and easy enjoyment. So an untrained person, who doesn’t have a strong opinion, can enjoy the music without constraints."
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 153146.ece

srikant1987

Re: Ranjani and Gayathri answer questions

Post by srikant1987 »

It certainly does! That's I believe the origin of the expression "musician's musician". When a learned, accomplished musician can enjoy X's music just as much as an ordinary person, X can be called a "musician's musician".

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sri Ravikiran in one of his lectures on common mistakes ( CM ) in CM takes a different nuanced view. If an untrained singer or singer with (common) mistakes sings, he could possibly appeal to a learned musician, but he cannot to an untrained listener!

Vid(s) R&G are talking about a full rounded musician ( by training) who may as a performer emphasize presentation over technical nuances! That musician's sAdhana and vidvat may get fossilized in that mode over time and they may not venture naturally into technical nuances as a result.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

They speak even better than they sing :)