Music Academy Library

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vijay.siddharth

Music Academy Library

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Esteemed Members of this exalted community,

I would like to check - is the Music Academy Library (KR Sundaram Iyer Memorial Library) open to the public? And if so, what are their hours? Also- do they allow you to photocopy/photograph pages of their collections? I am a music student thirsty for notations, and I have heard that they have an impeccable collection...

Thanks in advance,

Siddharth.

bhakthim dehi

Re: Music Academy Library

Post by bhakthim dehi »

It is open to public. You need to pay some nominal amount ( I am not sure about the amount) as a registration fee to access their collection. You can take photographs, but I feel you should take some special permission to photocopy a book.

vijay.siddharth

Respected sir,

I thank you so much for this immense help you have done to me.

I would like to clarify this: how friendly are library staff? My previous experiences with Music Academy staff always have had them coming off as slightly arrogant (I was buying tickets on stage for Jayanthi Kumaresh last season, and the clerk said something to the effect of 'why sit on the stage when practically the entire hall is going to be empty?'). It is not something which will stop me from going or anything- I just want to mentally prepare myself.

Cheers

Siddharth.

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

I have seen only a lady librarian there. She is very friendly and helpful.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I used the library last time in 2013. I paid RS. 400 for the yearly membership. I had to submit a passport size photograph. The chief librarian is smt Latha who is very helpful. You have to ask the lady assistant for help with the books and she will locate the book and give you one book at a time. I photographed some pages. I don't know if they allow scanning with your own unit as they have no scanning or copying facilities.

vijay.siddharth

Thank you so much sir for this invaluable advice and information :)