Exhibits of instruments handled by maestros

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
makham

Exhibits of instruments handled by maestros

Post by makham »

Is there any institution which exhibits instruments handled by maestros, say, a sitar used by Pandit Ravi Sankar, a mridangam used by Palakkad Mani Iyer, a Tabla used by Ustad Alla Rakha, a Shehnai used by Bismillah Khan, a Tampura used by Smt MS Subbulakshmi, a Flute used by Mali and so on?
Would such a collection inspire today's students of the respective instruments?

shankarank

Re: Exhibits of instruments handled by maestros

Post by shankarank »

MAK sir, you left out the violin!! :o . adan rahasyam ennavO? ;) :lol:

Would it be a theme ( both your question and my question) ripe for composing a padam? :lol: Surely yes!!! We should give music a chance before we give up and head to the museum ? :lol:

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I have noticed that instruments used by the greats are mostly retained/used by their descendants/prime disciples. Collecting vadyas / relics of celebrities to be exhibited in a museum could be near to impossible as sentiments would play unless the Vidwan died penniless. Even when one succeeds in collecting one such debates would rise on its originality!

Whether we are creating a museum or not, let people donate instruments lying unattended and gathering dust in their houses to those in need. I have actually seen Veenas & violins in the lofts in a few houses. One worthy grandson was kind enough to admit that he has stopped displaying the instrument in the Kolu (during navaratri) as it has developed huge cracks! The kind annual gesture is not going to there any more!

At least sell off the vadyas to craftsmen who may repair them skillfully and even market as vintage pieces for a price.

By the way anyone could give contact details of 'Melakartas'- don't worry- I mean those who come for doorstep Veena 'melam kattal'. The tribe is fast vanishing. Unless they are encouraged, wooden Veenas may disappear from circuit!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 20 Jun 2017, 10:27 I have actually seen Veenas & violins in the lofts in a few houses.
Sometimes it seems an instrument in the attic is indicative of something deeper!! ;) :lol:

https://youtu.be/z_F9rJlnGHs?t=3269

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I am fine with museums if the world operated with an idea of respect for other cultures. But it has not right through history!!

It is coming to head like this now: http://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/the-u ... on-illegal

The very museums one visits in Europe are the proof of this.

In this backdrop I would say that Indian musical systems have taken a lot from lower forms. But to our credit I would claim that there was no wanton destruction of the cultures that practiced those lower forms. Since we did not do a mass destruction or genocide of each other every cultural milieu within the India can take ideas across and no one would feel odd about it!

In fact the higher musical forms have somewhat stagnated from evolution due to drying up of such eco-systems (of lower musical forms) in modern times.

Musicians can take the music wherever - but if they create negative discourse and produce atrocity literature in the current conditions , we have to be cognizant and skeptical of such moves.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I visited the famous Kelkar Museum many years ago IIRC in Pune. The musical instruments exhibited there were numerous and rare and well maintained. They appeared to be 'well used during their life time'. But the source could not be ascertained.

Well, coming back to the original suggestion of makham, the institution / agency concerned of the Govt of India may contact the family members of the artists to obtain instruments / books / dress / other articles used by them. I believe already efforts would be on in this direction.