Re: Veena Dhanammal 150th birth anniversary

Post by thanjavooran »

Wishing the function a grand success !
Thanjavooran
03 08 2017

melam72

Post by melam72 »

How come the Cowherdess doesn't make her appearance? Being Brindamma's disciple sounds nice on Hindu interviews but is too difficult to live up to ;) ???

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I attended a few events and the going is great so far.

N Ravikiran's chitraveena concert on the opening day (6 Aug), true to type of the Brinda Mukta repertoire, was a great experience.
This was preceeded by a fine PowerPoint presentation of Dhanammal's music by Bharat Sundar and Soumya.

The same day evening S Soumya, T Girish and Aruna Ranganathan rendered a couple of Padams and Javalis famed by the school.
The sort of Jugalbandi between A Hariharan and T Girish (Dwijavanti, Latangi and Khamas) was entertaining (I left once Khamas started due to prsonal reasons) Hariharan's exposition of Latangi was illustrative of the range of Brindamma's music.

Sri Ram Parasuram's lecdem (8 Aug) on the Dhanammal Bani was superb.
He talked in detail about the music of T Viswanathan (under whom he had learnt while at USA) and T Brinda.

I couldnt attend the concerts on 7th. Trichy B Sivakumar (Veena) followed by T M Krishna. No reports yet from any forumite!

I should be attending today (concluding) evening for the panel discussion on 'Bani' and of Soumya's concert.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Soumya's concert on the concluding day (09 Aug) was very good. (I had to leave after the first 2-3 items)
it included Seetavara sangita(Devagandhari), Ekkalatthilum (Purvikalyani) etc.

The panel discussion which preceded the concert was another great source of information. N Ravikiran, Tiruvarur Girish, Sriram Parasuram, Anuradha sriram and Aniruddha Knight were the participants.

I request forumites (whoever attended the event/s) to contribute their views / observations as the series was a notable one.