Oscar Wilde on art

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kvchellappa

Oscar Wilde on art

Post by kvchellappa »

‘In art there is no such thing as universal truth. A Truth in art is that whose contradictory is also true.’ Oscar Wilde.
If one agrees on this, what would it mean in music?
Frivolously,
• Would it mean that music is true whether it is in vilamba kalam or SSI speed? (I heard in GNB documentary how his father complained to ARI that GNB sang too fast. ARI asked GNB to sing and appreciated his singing and remarked that it is more difficult to sing in that speed).
• Would it mean that lyric is important as well as not important?
• Would it mean that Bhakti is the heart of music and is irrelevant to it?

Sachi_R

Re: Oscar Wilde on art

Post by Sachi_R »

KVC,
If the Ultimate Truth itself is beyond rational thought and defies black/white, positive/negative logic, Art can be no exception.
Art is for me is the emotive connect to Truth. As long as it invokes rasa in the onlooker/listener, it fulfills itself. Its exact opposite, in another place, time, and audience, will do the same perhaps.
We worship Kali, and Durga.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

kvchellappa wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 21:39 • Would it mean that music is true whether it is in vilamba kalam or SSI speed? (I heard in GNB documentary how his father complained to ARI that GNB sang too fast. ARI asked GNB to sing and appreciated his singing and remarked that it is more difficult to sing in that speed).
According to this video, raciness of early ARI and and GNB as a whole are traceable to Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar: https://youtu.be/b7J6HAfZWyw?t=752 . You can wind back a bit to hear more on Poochi!
Last edited by shankarank on 16 Aug 2017, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sachi_R wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 22:04 We worship Kali, and Durga.
We also worship suDalai ( the grama devata) and Siva.

In Valliyoor ( towards Nagercoil from Nellai) in my ancestral street, there is a bramhin sect that holds the street end grAma dEvata as their family deity. The other sect constructed more veda/Agama based temple some two streets down. The installation was on a wooden palagai ( not sure if any copper chakras were there in addition) - no lingam was there originally and was installed in a refurbishment around 1989.

The latter will NOT step into the grama devata temple.

The important thing to note is that the grAma dEvata is left alone - not demolished :!: :idea:.

Instances such as this point to very early interaction way south , of two different set of people!

The family chart traces us to one Srinivasa bhattar of Ganapathy Agraharam in Tanjore - which is also where GNB came from I heard.