Music and monsoon

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

Sachi_R

Re: Music and monsoon

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear KVC,
There is a detailed description of monsoon in the Valmiki Ramayana. Rama has crowned Sugriva, and has repaired to the forest with Lakshmana. As the monsoon descends, Rama describes it to Lakshmana. There are many verses, but let me quote just three of them:

नवमासधृतम् गर्भम् भास्कारस्य गभस्तिभिः |
पीत्वा रसम् समुद्राणाम् द्यौः प्रसूते रसायनम् || ३-२८-३ ||

मन्दमारुतनिःश्वासम् संध्याचंदनरंजितम् |
आपाण्डुजलदम् भाति कामातुरम् इवांबरम् || ३-२८-६ ||

एषा घर्मपरिक्लिष्टा नववारिपरिप्लुता |
सीता इव शोकसंतप्ता मही बाष्पम् विमुंचति || ३-२८-७ ||

Having conceived with the sun's rays, and carried it full term of 9 months, the sky has sucked up for nourishment the juices from the ocean, and is now delivering its nectarine child of showers.

Breathing heavily with its languid breeze, ablush with evening's golden rays, the white-glowing raincloud filling the sky appears to be besotted with carnal love.

This earth, scorched till now by summer's relentless sun, and presently. totally flooded by waves of fresh descending rain, seems like Sita, deeply affected by sorrow, and is shedding copious tears.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Yes. It is one of the very romantic set of verses.
Here is a post in my serial on thoughts on Ramayana in FB:
"Rama tells Lakshmana describing the beauty of spring in Risymuka hill on the banks of Pampa, with many a lake around, how his separation from Sita torments him at the sight of the romantic setting. The poetic fancy of Valmiki is explicit in, ‘The tree tops everywhere are loaded with flowers and are held in tight embrace by the climbing vines which themselves have burst into bloom. Look at that peahen, mad with love, joining in step with her dancing husband.
And the peacock, full of love and with his lovely feathers spread out, follows her running, with cries that seem to make fun of her. Assuredly no Rākshasa has carried off the beloved of the peacock from the forest, and so he can dance with his beloved in the beautiful woods. It is very difficult for me to live without Sita in this month of bloom. Look how impassioned even the simpler forms of life are; even the peahen importunes her mate, impelled by desire. Jānaki would have come to me likewise, all aflutter with her longing for love, if only she had not been carried off. The sight of this Kāraṇḍava bird splashing in the pleasant water and playing with its mate inflames my desire.’ The epic is explicit in describing srngara."

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kvchellappa wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 19:52The epic is explicit in describing srngara."
Hence 'SRngAram, kshiti nandini viharaNE'... :)

varsha

Post by varsha »

An outstanding RaghuRai Profile of Mansur and Monsoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuTKvTDmJ1Q

a brilliant fusion portrayal of the cycle of Life-Giving-Water