Why the offspring not as popular or can't make it big

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
jodha

Why the offspring not as popular or can't make it big

Post by jodha »

I was pondering over the title after listening to a recording of a famous CM musician's son who is extremely takented but struggling for a firm foot in the concert arena along with a friend.Spontaneously the title discussion took off.We find that it happens not only in CM but film music as well.The offspring of TMS SG SPB or even KISHORE or MUKESH couldn't make it big.
I don't have any idea about the gharana based HM.But I persume it to be better than CM.
What could be the reasons.....

MaheshS

Re: Why the offspring not as popular or can't make it big

Post by MaheshS »

:: Sigh :: another anon thread with no meaning context to comment on.

How are we supposed to know that this offspring of this "famous CM musician" is "extremely takented"[sic]?
What could be the reasons.....
For this kind of generic question, I reckon Kali Yugam is the best answer.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Copying his father blindly so much so that there is little difference between father and son remaining (except, of course, shruti fidelity) is one reason.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

There are plenty of counter examples for offspring being more popular than their parent. No hard & fast rule one way or the other.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

If I had to quote Robert Green's 48 laws of power it would be "Law 41 : Avoid stepping into a great man's shoes"

"...What happens first always appears better and more original than what comes after. If you succeed a great man or have a famous parent, you will have to accomplish double their achievements to outshine them. Do not get lost in their shadow, or stuck in a past not of your own making: Establish your own name and identity by changing course. ..."

http://48laws-of-power.blogspot.in/2011 ... -mans.html

Doesn't help if your dad or mom happens to be a once in a century phenomenon -- no matter what you do, you're either a copycat or less than them. Besides, since people tend to live long, their shadows only keep getting bigger with time. By the time you're no longer seen as Jr., you might very well be close to being a grandparent yourself -- in the meantime your parent would have lived long enough to become an all time legend. In contrast, your parent might have been seen as a renowned authority when he / she was half your age.

The only solution is to ultimately become a distinct tree out of the shadow of the parent tree -- for that one needs to create one's own space, which might not even be in the same countryside.

Tradition in this case really doesn't help as it essentially demands that you follow instead of a lead or create (and that's the scary side of it -- tradition to perpetuate requires you to be the beta and not the alpha, that role is reserved only for the one who established it).

The result is one of two things happen - 1) The descendants either never rise to the heights of their ancestor as judged by society or 2) The descendants just go find their own way, which might result in them leaving music or their parent profession altogether.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It does sometimes happen that the offspring living in the shadow of the parent get dragged onto the stage. In fact, perhaps it is not even unusual. Promoting the family business.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Even in the case of extremely talented Children Lalgudi Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi,there is a selective following.I have seen improvement in recent years.But being a legend's children,the recognition is hard to come by.But today the most melodious Violin duet pair.

Music

Post by Music »

When the parent has excelled in something, we always make the following assumptions:
1. The child has the same talent and interest as the parent
2. Therefore the child should excel in the same field
This happens not just with music, can be anything.

Its very likely the child had other interests, but got into the same profession because of the environment. Then the child would not achieve as great heights as the parent because its not exactly his/her thing.

If you notice any legendary artist, it is almost always the case. Their children either choose other professions, or are not 'legendary'.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Let's for a moment imagine that there's a youngster who comes from such a family, and is reading this thread now. Is he going to be benefited by this? I doubt it. Hopefully, he/she can think his/her own way through. As the child inherited the talent for music, other assets in the family like clear thinking could also be his. We wish them all well and hope for the best for all of them :)

varsha

Post by varsha »

If you consider all fields of endeavour ( except politics- and I am one who gives a politician his due ) , THIS success rate is pretty much the same.
What is true is that offspring may have a better head start or access to knowledge .
But then in Arts especially , it is the Art that picks up the Artist first .
My Dad used to often remark
Goddess Saraswathi is different from the rest .
Fascinates to the point of inviting many .But ends up accepting, only very very few.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Many of the "popular" artistes of today are probably offspring of parents who couldn't "make it big".

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I can think of one youngest brother of a musical family who seemed remarkably unskilled. I thought, poor man probably desperately wanted to be an accountant!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

@Nick: are you thinking of MSG Suresh?

varsha

Post by varsha »

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

melam72 wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 13:00 @Nick: are you thinking of MSG Suresh?
No. I am not even thinking carnatic,

But no more clues as I see no point in being gratuitously hurtful. If I had just been to the concert, I might well review in blunt terms, but this was years ago. He might even have learnt to tune, play, etc, by now. Or have become an accountant :D