SYAMANTAKA Music Festival - an idea

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vijay.siddharth

SYAMANTAKA Music Festival - an idea

Post by vijay.siddharth »

As one browses Rasikas.org, one realises that every single thread has a reference to an unrecognised vidwan or vidushi of exceptional talent who couldn't make it big due to a variety of factors that have been discussed enough.

While we cannot right the mistakes of denizens, what we can do is to host a music festival where we invite artistes of great erudition to perform in small-to-medium sized halls in Central/South Madras in the fringes of the season (second week of January/second half of November-ish). The choice of vidwans can be discussed below.

Since these artistes are like vibrant gems who create gold as they go around, we can even call it the SYAMANTAKA music festival.

Tell me what you think!

shankarank

Re: SYAMANTAKA Music Festival - an idea

Post by shankarank »

Arkay and Parivadini are already at it. Year round! Have you tried listening and commenting?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

If Sabhas come together on the days of concurrent programming and operate special buses - just for the return trip - exclusively for rasikas (concert (attendance only - as they are free) tickets required to board the bus) to certain pocket suburbs in Chennai, they will see some increase in crowd!

Rasikas may be willing to pay for the trip cost!

Now that is a common political party/engineering college strategy! :twisted:

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

The idea is good.

The 'Jambavans' would need exclusive sponsors. The young stars of today may undertake this. They would attend to all requirements including logistics.

varsha

Post by varsha »

what we can do is to host a music festival where we invite artistes of great erudition to perform in small-to-medium sized halls
I dreamt rasikas.org built such a hall and started sponsoring such a series:
of Artists who have not been featured in Chennai
First concert
K.rangaswAmi iyengar_chArulatha
https://archive.org/details/07KaddanuvA ... iTyAgarAja
-----
On a serious note , there are tragic scenes of such vidwans singing to audiences of less than five.
I have been to concerts where I was the only guy in the audience ( not couting the 1 or 2 relatives)
Chennai can be cruel.
Very cruel

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I can mention the artists to be featured:

definitely Madurai GS Mani

vijay.siddharth

varsha wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 09:12 On a serious note , there are tragic scenes of such vidwans singing to audiences of less than five.
I have been to concerts where I was the only guy in the audience ( not couting the 1 or 2 relatives)
Chennai can be cruel.
Very cruel
In 1990-ish, my grandmother was forced to sing for an audience of two people in a temple in Mylapore (the audience were listening from their houses). She asked if she could stop, and the organiser refused, so she sung the full 3 hours. However, she never sung in Madras again. So it's not just the audience, but also organisers too.

vijay.siddharth

shankarank wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 19:33 Arkay and Parivadini are already at it. Year round! Have you tried listening and commenting?
They have made admirable efforts, but I was thinking of an annual festival dedicated just to these musicians.

vijay.siddharth

Artistes who may be featured include Smt Charumathi Ramachandran (an exclusive RTP concert), Manakkal Rangarajan, Thanjavur Shankara Iyer (a concert on just his compositions, perchance?)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Manakkal Rangarajan and Tanjore Sankara Iyer may not be in good form and health to give concerts now.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

vijay.siddharth, onw of the problems of the internet, and of youth (and of many not so young: I don't claim exemption) is the why doesn't somebody syndrome.

In fact, you'll find that some of the rasikas.org members already have done. And there is no reason why you should not, too.

Looking forward to the announcements :D

varsha

Post by varsha »

In fact, you'll find that some of the rasikas.org members already have done.
https://archive.org/details/ManakkalRan ... 25.08.2007

Exactly ten years ago :D

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Exactly ten years ago
Amazing.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

varsha wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 09:12 ..........of Artists who have not been featured in Chennai
First concert
K.rangaswAmi iyengar_chArulatha
https://archive.org/details/07KaddanuvA ... iTyAgarAja
-----
Never heard of this Vidwan! Strikingly elegant rendering! Listen to the comfort of the Kalyani Varnam or Pallavi of 'Vidajalatura' for an authentic Janaranajani!
Thanks for the link.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Varsha, Never heard of this Rangaswami Iyengar, (Is he Rangaramanuja Iyengar of Kritmanimalai) The concert is very good for the voice, manodharmam, planning and execution. Pl throw more light on this vidwan.

varsha

Post by varsha »

(Is he Rangaramanuja Iyengar of Kritmanimalai)
of course not !!!
:D
Pl throw more light on this vidwan
I know very little . This was a concert from a bunch I picked up from gAna sudha in hubli karnataka.
I can give you some other tidbits here ( and some more from this vintage if interested)
Late Sampath was a friend of mine who used to be part of this initiative.His son Sridhar Sampath may be a member here .He lives in Dubai and his wife is a singer as well.I attended one of her concerts in Raga sudha Hall.
Late Sampaths Widow , Mrs Sampath still continues to live in Hubli. She was fecilitated for decades of teaching CM IN Hubli by Gangubai Hangal.
The last time we met her , we asked : Why do you live alone here.With all your difficulties with age ( She is in her late 70s)
And pat came the reply
How can I leave my CM students and my unfinished work here ?
When my friend broached the subject of a Pinakapani special , she jumped with joy and began to share notes with him.
As they sang blissfully , I learnt a few more lessons on longevity and about keeping fires deep within , burning bright.