Sivaraman
i joined recently and i missed a lot. is it possible for you to u/l this

nithyashree ragamalika: "Ragathil sirandha ragamedhu":

Murralidharan_vra

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Murali,

Since most recordings of Nityashree are very likely copyrighted, no one will upload her recordings here. But you can visit other sites like MusicIndiaOnline.com to choose the recordings you want to listen.

This time I have made the job easier for you...

The song you want is available in the album December season 2002 which you can access at http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/1/m/artist.108/

murralidharan_vra

Post by murralidharan_vra »

srkris

Thanks a lot

MBK

Post by MBK »

http://quickdump.com/files/108878549.html

Maharajapuram Santhanam

Enjoyable!

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Kindly requested repost of non-copyrighted "tyAgarAja pAdAbje" rAgamAlikA of maisUr vAsudEvAccAryA with thanks.
Last edited by kmrasika on 05 Sep 2006, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

While Ragathil sirandha ragam may not qualifyas a great classical composition,many other popular songs also fall in this genre.Kurai onrum illai is one of the most popular songs now .While the song was elevated to a status of a grand composition because of M.S. S and the music,it according to me does not ahve lyrical value or beauty.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I do not mean to start a debate on whether Kurai Onrum Illai deserves the prominence or not, but a few things about this piece that caught my attention when I heard this first long time ago... The common place tamil lyrics convey the commonly understood and relatable religious concept in a direct way and it does that from the point of view of contentment. I am conjecturing that these things along with MSS and the nice tuning made it a great and popular thukkada item.

arasi

Post by arasi »

baboosh,
As for kuRai onRum illai, in my view too, it is not a great lyrical piece. Wait, the great Rajaji wrote it! An outstanding man, a skilled writer of prose and of short stories--I mean, shortest stories. He was not a song writer--perhaps wrote this one song (don't know of any other) at nearly the end of his life. To me, it is a soul searching of a man who had spent his entire life in first fighting for the freedom of the land and then in dedicating his life to a political cause. A philosophical man who had no time or bent of mind for a religious life who finally reached the stage when there were no pressures of the outside world. His spiritual side must have come to the fore and memories of his childhood too, of a traditional upbringing. I may be off the mark--forgive me--but it was his own spirituality and sense of religion (gOvinda as a diety sitting on a particular hill) that brought out these lines like tiraiyin pin niRkinRAy kaNNA!--You are behind a screen--not the kind of screen tyagaraja refers to in tera tIyaga rAdA? but as in obscurity--intellect and bhakti wrestling in him raises this question? Again, I may be way away from understanding the song. A moving set of questions the lyrics are, both personal and universal. The popularity of it I agree has to do with MSS singing it soulfully, the ragas in it and of course, Rajaji being the author of it. His prose writing is terse and to the point (vyAsar virundu and chakravarthi thirumagan in tamizh are well known. His little short stories were stunning with a frugality of words. Don't read me wrong. I have the greatest regard for this freedom fighter, leader, author and individual. It is just kuRai onRumillai I am speaking of here...
Last edited by arasi on 05 Sep 2006, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
Can't you just hear Rajaji say:

Even if people cast aspersions
Even if they doubt it's quality
Even if they don't think too highly of it,
Edum tara maRukkAda karuNai kaDal annai
un mArbil enRum irundiDa,
yEdu kuRai enakku?
(kuRai onRum illai maRai mUrti kaNNA!)
:P

Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
You ARE starting a debate, it seems.
I am glad you have your doubts too. You use the key word 'contentment' which agrees with my view(??) that questions hit me more than the rest of it in the song. Tyagaraja and Bharathi, nAyanArs and AzhvArs and others have asked many questions, pleaded, got annoyed with their subject, but 'surrender' is the key element in them which in singing out to the Almighty knows no bounds. When you listen to them, you are moved and find a sense of contentment (your word). As with human love too, with a child who is an object of your unconditional love or with a perfect mate, you get away with all the above modes of expression (both parties)...
I can say, I feel for Rajaji. He had to wrestle with his intellect in his quest...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I knew it! Like hanumAn, you would come with evidence! Agreed. The conclusion or resolution is very much there in those lines. You KNOW the lines! A good moment for Rajaji, those concluding lines. Yet, I get a bit pensive about some of the other lines. May be because I see him in it...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Our posts collided! Could I say, it applies to friends on the forum as well--'knowing no bounds?' You have forgiven me I suppose:)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
I agree with your feelings about this composition, but whenever I listen to this song, I always remember the words that Sri Rajaji used to introduce Sri Adi Sankara's 'bhaja gOvidam' rendered by Smt MSS's: he says, 'if Adi SankarAchArya himself, who drank the ocean of gyAna as easily as one sips water from the palm of one's hand, sang in his later years hyms to develop devotion, it is enough to show that gyAna and bhakti are one and the same" - I always think of 'kuRai onRum illai' as an attempt by Rajaji to go a step further, and say that even without gyAna (unnai maRai Odum gyAniyar maTTumE kANbAr), bhakti is possible (kali nALLukkirangi, kallilE irangI)....
Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

On another note, I don't think the popularity of this piece has anything to do with it's quality, or it's rAga choices. I think that most musicians have begun to rendder it at the end of concerts just before, or in lieu of the 'maNgaLam' as a tribute to Smt. MSS, and this signature pieces of hers lends itself to be tagged on without disrupting the flow of the concert. At least, that is what some of the artists I have spoken to have said.
Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Once again, goes to prove the subjective nature of rasanA. You have given me more to mull over. That's great. Each layer of experience and exposure to more views makes us grow as rasikas...

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Among songs some more are "Adalai pADuvOm thriu viLayA", the wonderful "madurai arasalum" and "nALai endROrunAL" sung by Somu, "Adiya pAdam" by MMD, Panchanada Iyer's "Arabhimanam" (esp. by the incomparable KVN), MLV's impeccable reditions of "ArupaDai vIDamarnda" and "bArO krishnayyA", MSS singing "kanDu kanDen" of Poontanam Namboothiri (I like the choice of lyrics here, more than the rendition)...

slokams: Semmangudi's "Moulav ganga", MMI's "vEyuru thOli", GNB with "vandE mAtaram", DrSR "kunitha puruvamum", MDR's amazing and touching "sugreevamitram" preceding the even more amazing and even more feeling redition of "satrE vilagi"....

I can post these if necessary.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

VK,
You ARE starting a debate, it seems.
I am glad you have your doubts too. You use the key word 'contentment' which agrees with my view(??) that questions hit me more than the rest of it in the song.
Well, while I would still like to maintain I did not mean to start a debate :D, what I had in mind when I said 'common lyrics' 'direct expression' etc. is, one does not need much interpretation philosophically to understand the song. But based on what you two (Arasi and Ravi) wrote, I guess there are multiple layers here as well.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

kmrasika wrote:Kindly requested repost of non-copyrighted "tyAgarAja pAdAbje" rAgamAlikA of maisUr vAsudEvAccAryA with thanks.
If you meant "srI rAmachandra pAdAbjE", I can upload a fantastic version of Sri MDR that Sri Coolkarni posted a while back.

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

sriram

please do, anything from the great MDR is welcome

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

srI_rAmachandra--rAgamAlika--Adi--mysOre_vAsudEvAcharya--MDR

http://file.uploadr.com/9460

Lyrics, meaning and other information available at

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=655
Last edited by mnsriram on 06 Sep 2006, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

mnsriram: thank u for all your replies to my requests for audio, particularly the Spencer Venugopal thread. ANd yes, pardon my typo, the song is ShrI rAmacandra pAdAbjE.
Last edited by kmrasika on 07 Sep 2006, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.

shrinik

Re:

Post by shrinik »

Lakshman wrote:For what they are worth, here are the lyrics of the two rAgamAlikAs:

rasattil uyaranda. rAgamAlika. Adi tALA. Composer : Unknown.

(rAgA: simhEndramadhyam)
P: rasattil uyarnda rasam enda rasam
puLi rasamA kanirasamA kambarasamA inba rasamA
A: inba sarasam virasam koTTum murasam
inji surasam miLagu rasamA
(rAgA: mOhana)
C1: adirasam Anandarasam anbu rasamA
anda rasam pAghamuda rasam bhAgya rasam bhakti rasamA
kodi rasam takkALi rasam elumiccai rasamA
guNamAna paruppu rasamA pannIr rasamA
(rAgA: kAnaDA)

2: kAma rasam sOma rasam kalai jnAna rasamA
gAna, hIna, karuNA rasam shoka rasam
nEmamighu rAma rasam niratAkSi rasamA
pErAna nIrAna vendaya rasam kavi rasamA
karumbu rasam mysUr rasamA
kAviya rasaminri Oviya rasamA
bhuviyinil raudram arputam bhaya rasamA
samsAra sArasam inri minsAra rasamA
(rAgA: mAND)
3: urunDODiDum pAda rasam uyiruLLa nAdha rasam
OmkAra Oshai nirainda rasam shrngAra rasam
shiranda nADengum navarasam
sharavaNan tozhum samarasam

rAgattil shiranda. rAgamAlikA. Adi tALA. Composer: Kadalur Subramanian.

1: rAgatti shiranda rAgamEdu kalyANi-yA kAmbhOji-yA
2: aghattaik-kuLira vaikkum azhagAna tODi- yA ATTattirkkE ughanda nATTaikkuranji-yA
bhAvattODu pADa bhairavi-yA manam pAghAi uruga vaikkum ranjani-yA
3: cintaik-kuLira vaikkum simhEndramadhyamam-A santOSattait-tarum shankarAbharaNam-A
kAvEri pOl ODum sAvEri-yA manak-kaLaippai nIkka valla kApi-yA
4: paNNishaittup-pADa SaNmukhapriyA-vA paDutturanga sheyyum nIlAmbari-yA
adhikAramAip-pADa aThANA-vA akhilamellAm mayakkum Anandabhairavi-yA
5: tApam aghala Or dhanyAsi-yA dharaNiyai kAkka nalla darbAr-O
sarasa sallApattirkkE sArangA-vA shyAmaLanai ezhuppa bhUpALam-A
6: kalakalappAi pADa kharaharapriyA-vA karuNaiyE vaDivAna kAmavardhani-yA
bahudAri-yA shuddhasAvEri-yA panjamillAda hindOLam-A
dEvamanOhari dEvagAndhAri tEninum inikkum kAnaDA-vA
7: manadai mayakkum mAyAmALavagauLai madhuramAna Or vijayanAgari
vasantA-vuDan malayamAruta-mO mandahAsam tarum mOhanam-O
hamsadhvan- yuDan hamsanAdam-O Arabhi-mAnamum vENDum bilahari
8: pAngAghap-pADa Or bAgEshvari-yA shAntamAip-pADa sAmA-vA
shrngAramAna sindhubhairavi-yA mangaLam pADa or madhyamAvati- yA
9: shruti shuddhamAghavum svara shuddhamAghavum
sukha bhavattuDan pADum rAgamE shirandadu

Any audio available for rsattil uyarnda?