Favourites in the Big 6

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
annamalai

Post by annamalai »

vasanthakokilam wrote: kAruvelpulu krithi is new to me and it figures in a few people's lists. I need to check it out.
Karuvelpulu - Kalyani has been rendered by Alathur Brothers. Superb. The only other rendition I have heard is by Prof. SRJ. This krithi is almost out of concert circulation.

Mari Mari Ninne - Kamboji was also out of circulation, until recently.

BTW, the brothers have also sung - Rama Nee Vadu - Adi talam tisra nadai; not heard in concerts.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

annamalai wrote:
vasanthakokilam wrote: kAruvelpulu krithi is new to me and it figures in a few people's lists. I need to check it out.
Karuvelpulu - Kalyani has been rendered by Alathur Brothers. Superb. The only other rendition I have heard is by Prof. SRJ. This krithi is almost out of concert circulation.

Mari Mari Ninne - Kamboji was also out of circulation, until recently.

BTW, the brothers have also sung - Rama Nee Vadu - Adi talam tisra nadai; not heard in concerts.
Yes, the only rendition of Karuvelpu I have heard (SRJ), was thanks to Rasika forum. (Prashant? probably) - It is so refreshingly different than other Kalyani kritis.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 23 Feb 2009, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

link to Alathur Brothers karuvelpulu

http://sangeethamshare.org/gvr/kalyani/ ... Ji_PMI.mp3

vijay

Post by vijay »

Pantula Rama also sang Karuvelpulu at a concert in Vani Mahal. Bangalore MS Sheela sang it at the Academy last season. Both were very fine renditions. Latter is available at sangeethapriya.

vijay

Post by vijay »

I heard TMK sing Rama Nee Vadukonduko on a couple of occasions but not recently

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Oh my.. this karuvelpulu krithi is wonderful. Quite sweet, in an uncharacteristic fashion for kalyani ( meaning I do not associate that much sweetness with Kalyani ). Also, what a great rendition by AB!! During the singing of the krithi, the thought that came to me is 'It is like how paridanamichithe is for bilahari (raga)' :) The way the 'adukku' style of packing of swaras into a beat in the composition is similar in construction to paridanamichithe, I thought.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks for the info about MS Sheela's recording. Nice rendering, but I liked SRJ's rendition better.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

is Prof SRJ's karuvelpulu available online? thanks!

vasanthakokilam

ramakriya/vijay: If you happen to have the sangeethapriya link for the Sheela's karuvelpulu, please post. I could not find it with their search facility. Thx.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

M S Sheela: http://sangeethamshare.org/tvg/SEASON_2 ... arAjar.mp3

I must have SRJ's rendition; I can look up and upload. Give me some time :)

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 25 Feb 2009, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

Venkatpv / Ramakriya - Here are the youtube links to SRJ's kAruvElpulu nIku sari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfN4xItZTh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscN9RP4j0M

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

thank you!

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

It's such a different kalyani in this song!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

wow! SRJ sing kAruvElpulu.. :)

however the most moving rendition i have heard of this song in a concert, was by the son of Subbu Iyer of the brothers, Alathoor Sri S Venkataraman at PS High School Auditorium sometime ago....

vijay

Post by vijay »

OK as per VK's suggestion, I am summarizing results - for both ragas and popular krithis. A total of 23 responses were received

As far as ragas are concerned Thodi rules with the lowest average rank. The order is 1) Thodi, 2) Bhairavi 3) Kambhoji and Shankarabharanam (tied), 5) Kalyani and 6) Kharaharapriya.

Thodi is also the favourite raga of the maximum number of people (10), followed by Bhairavi (7). Funnily, no one has listed Kambhoji as his/her favourite raga - every other raga has at least one votary! Expectednly Kalyani and Kharaharapriya are at the bottom of the list for the maximum number of people (6 each)

Coming to Krithis, about 150 krithis were named across the 6 ragas. Thodi was once again the topper with 39 being listed and the least was in case of Kharaharapriya (14). I have calculated results based on all krithis names unless one (or more) krithis were speficically indicated as being the favourites.

Thodi - The Swarajathi takes the top spot followed closely by Koluvamaregadha and Sree Krishnam

Kalyani - Deekshitar walks away with the credits here, accounting for the top 2 spots with Bhaja Re Re Chitta and Abhayamba (surprise entry at the top). Pankaja Lochana and Nidhi Tsala are tied at the third spot

Shankarabharanam - Deekshitar again - Dakshinamurthe and Akshaya Linga Vibho tied at the top. Swara Raga Sudha is in third position, not too far behind.

Kambhoji - Expected results with Sri Subrahmanyaya and O Rangasayee tied at the top. Maragavathavallim and Evari Mata are tied at third but way below (6 counts as against 13 each for the other pair).

Kharaharapriya - Not too many surprises again given the number of krithis. Chakkani is easily the favourite. Pakkala Nilabadi comes up next but is well down the list. Rama Nee Yeda and Rama Nee Samanamevaru are tied for third close behind Pakkala

Bhairavi - The contest was really between the Swarajathi and the varnam. The Swarajathi wins with 16 followed by Viribhoni (11). Balagopala is in third spot (8) with respectable mentions for Koluvaiyunnade and Tanayuni Brova (6 each).

Surprising to note that both the Swarajathis in the big 6 bagged top honours in their respective categories. Also

I will try and compile a list of all krithis mentioned a little later.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Please note the above are quick calculations and I am not making any claims for accuracy!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Another striking observation is that the top 3 krithis are all compositions of the Trinity except for Pankaja Lochana and Viribhoni!

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

Tyagaraja's Enduko ni manasu in Kalyani is a favourite of mine. Apart from Hyderabad Bros. and Charulatha Mani, I haven't encountered it in concerts.

vijay

Post by vijay »

I have heard Sudha and Priya Sisters render the song.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Nedunuri Sir's endukO nI manasu is captivating to say the least...

vijay

Post by vijay »

Will try and d/l - it is a fantastic song. I thought Priya sisters did a decent job - esp neraval at Thyagaraja Hrudaya..

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

prashant wrote:Nedunuri Sir's endukO nI manasu is captivating to say the least...
I can well imagine any Kalyani rendition of Nedunuri Krishnamoorthy being captivating! I enjoy his recordings of Amma Ravamma, Nammi vaccina, Kathaya kathaya, Himadrisute and other Kalyani pieces.
Is there a clip of his Endukoni available online? thanks!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vijay wrote:OK as per VK's suggestion, I am summarizing results - for both ragas and popular krithis. A total of 23 responses were received

As far as ragas are concerned Thodi rules with the lowest average rank. The order is 1) Thodi, 2) Bhairavi 3) Kambhoji and Shankarabharanam (tied), 5) Kalyani and 6) Kharaharapriya.

Thodi is also the favourite raga of the maximum number of people (10), followed by Bhairavi (7). Funnily, no one has listed Kambhoji as his/her favourite raga - every other raga has at least one votary! Expectednly Kalyani and Kharaharapriya are at the bottom of the list for the maximum number of people (6 each)

Coming to Krithis, about 150 krithis were named across the 6 ragas. Thodi was once again the topper with 39 being listed and the least was in case of Kharaharapriya (14). I have calculated results based on all krithis names unless one (or more) krithis were speficically indicated as being the favourites.

Thodi - The Swarajathi takes the top spot followed closely by Koluvamaregadha and Sree Krishnam

Kalyani - Deekshitar walks away with the credits here, accounting for the top 2 spots with Bhaja Re Re Chitta and Abhayamba (surprise entry at the top). Pankaja Lochana and Nidhi Tsala are tied at the third spot

Shankarabharanam - Deekshitar again - Dakshinamurthe and Akshaya Linga Vibho tied at the top. Swara Raga Sudha is in third position, not too far behind.

Kambhoji - Expected results with Sri Subrahmanyaya and O Rangasayee tied at the top. Maragavathavallim and Evari Mata are tied at third but way below (6 counts as against 13 each for the other pair).

Kharaharapriya - Not too many surprises again given the number of krithis. Chakkani is easily the favourite. Pakkala Nilabadi comes up next but is well down the list. Rama Nee Yeda and Rama Nee Samanamevaru are tied for third close behind Pakkala

Bhairavi - The contest was really between the Swarajathi and the varnam. The Swarajathi wins with 16 followed by Viribhoni (11). Balagopala is in third spot (8) with respectable mentions for Koluvaiyunnade and Tanayuni Brova (6 each).

Surprising to note that both the Swarajathis in the big 6 bagged top honours in their respective categories. Also

I will try and compile a list of all krithis mentioned a little later.
He He I was not aware that was to be the ranking order :) and I went as per the mELa number! And some others might have done the same thing too. That probably explains tODi and kalyANi's position in the results!

I definitely prefer kalyANi to Kharaharapriya, for eg, but I did not post it in that order

=Ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

vijay wrote:Please note the above are quick calculations and I am not making any claims for accuracy!
You mean, the firm of Ernst and Young did not oversee the counting! Tsk...tsk...tsk...:P

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

vijay wrote: Thodi - The Swarajathi takes the top spot followed closely by Koluvamaregadha and Sree Krishnam
There is the death knell for the grand shri subramanyo mam rakshatu!! Goes to show that a certain legendary musician is a better tunesmith than MD himself ;)

vijay

Post by vijay »

Ravi - one can't be too careful these days!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Just heard Sri Subrahmanyo...a truly unique creation in Thodi - the only one I've heard which employs the rishabham so prominently - SRJ's version I felt emphasized this note a whole lot more than DKJ's

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vijay wrote:Just heard Sri Subrahmanyo...a truly unique creation in Thodi - the only one I've heard which employs the rishabham so prominently - SRJ's version I felt emphasized this note a whole lot more than DKJ's
Vijay,

Where did you find SRJ's version? Is it available on Sangeethapriya?

-Ramakriya

subhiksha rangarajan

Post by subhiksha rangarajan »

to choose between ragas is a tough question..but as a regular music listener ,i would like to share my favourite compositions herewith...
1 kharaharapriya - cakkani rAja[t.n.krishnan], saumitri bhAgyamE [tns]
2 tODi - koluvamaragada[dkj]
3 bhairavi - (amba) kAmAkshi[all time favourite], koluvaiyunnADe, upacharamulanu
4 kAmbhOji - O rangaSAyee[tns], maragata vallim [dkj]
5 SankarAbharaNam - akshaya linga vibhO [tns], enduku peddala[semmangudi mama]
6 kalyANi - abhayamba ,birana brova,yethavunara

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Subhiksha,

Welcome - I think you are being a little to modest when you call yourself a mere listener (I assume that you are 'that' Subhiksha, who is also a performing artist!)

cienu

Post by cienu »

Well, I am a late entrant to the "big six" poll and my views will no impact on the results declared by Vijay.

Nevertheless here goes :)

Todi: Swarajati, Sri Krishnam, Kadhanu Variki, Karthikeya, Vandinam Muralum.
Sankarabharnam: Sankaracharyam, Sadasiva Upasmahe, Saroja Dala Netri, Akshaya Linga Vibho, Dakshinamurthe, Aartha Piravi,Enduku Pedhala,
Kambodhi: O ranga sayee, Thiruvadi Charanam, Subramanya Namaste, Margatha Valli
Bhairavi : Viriboni, Enati , Yaaro Evar Yaaro, Koluvaiyunade, Odi Baraiya
Kalyani: Talli Ninu Nera, Nidhisala Sukhama, Birana Brova, Bhajare Re Chita, Needu Charana, Ata Thala Varnam
Kharaharapriya: Pakkala Nilabadi, Samanam Evaru , Chakkini Raja, Okapari kokapari vayyaramai (Annamacharya)

vijay

Post by vijay »

Ramakriya, yes, I did find it on Sangeethapriya. It is a fairly elaborate rendition with an alaapana...

Cienu/Subhiksha we can always have a final poll later! Interesting to note that TNS has rendered Mithri Bhagyam...

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

My favourite raga - by two performing artistes
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/02/15/stor ... 330800.htm
"We have a special affinity for ragas such as Bhairavi, Sahana, Mukhari, Sankarabharanam, Khambodi, Kalyani, Thodi, Suruti, Begada"¦ could just go on and on."

sandhyafny

Post by sandhyafny »

The songs from the Tamil movie Pokkisham composed by Sabesh movie have songs based on carnatic ragas. For more view the trailer of Pokkisham movie here

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

1. bhairavi - viriboni -(MSS)
2. SankarAbharaNam - Saroja Dhala Netri (MSS)
3. tODI - thanithirundhu Vazhunnai Thavamaniye ( K.B.Sundarambal)
4. kAmbhOji - O Ranga Sayee- (MSS)
5. Karaharapriya - Okapari Kokapari(MSS)
6. kalyANi -Vanajakshi

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

Seriously, i cannot believe nobody thinks of thanithirundhu Vazhunnai Thavamaniye ( K.B.Sundarambal)
when they think of thodi !!!! I know this is not a regular song, but for me it is such a classic !!!

BTW, I think Violinists love love love thodi..
They can play that raga ALL NIGHT Long - Is there not something special abount the violin and thodi- they have an eternal love affair !!!
Last edited by vallaki on 14 Jul 2009, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I remember that totally captivating KBS tODi song as: tanittirundu vAzhum meit tavamaNiyE.
Last edited by arasi on 14 Jul 2009, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

arasi wrote:I remember that totally captivating KBS tODi song as: tanittirundu vAzhum meit tavamaNiyE.
Thanks for correcting arasi- what does that mean?

rajesh_rs

Post by rajesh_rs »

1. Kharaharapriya - Chakkani Raja, Pakkala Nilabadi, Mitri Bhagyame Bhagyamu

Can't get enough of Kharaharapriya. One marvellous ragam with great scope for improvisation and depth.

2. Thodi - Thaye Yashoda, Kotinadulu, Era napai

One of the more grim ragas that I didn't like initially but loved after listening to some memorable renditions.

3. Bhairavi - Yaaro Ivar Yaaro, Odi Baarayya, Indu Enage Govinda

An instant favourite. Yaaro Ivar Yaaro was an instant hit, and Indu Enage Govinda was a familiar song. Grew to like this ragam.

4. Kambhoji - Kuzhaloodhum Manamellam, O Rangasayee

Very pleasant ragam, very uplifting. Loved O Rangasayee performed by Santhanam.

5. Shankarabharanam - Yenagu Aane Ranga

Sounded like too plain a ragam and I hardly listen to it.

6. Kalyani - Nambi Kettavarillaro

Sounded wonderful each time I listened to it. Haven't listened to many carnatic songs in it though.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vllaki,
tanittirundu vAzhum: one who stays on the hills in solitude (the word malai is not there, but is understood).
He is a tava maNi: a gem among tapasvis.

vasanthakokilam

>3. Bhairavi - Indu Enage Govinda

'Indu Enage Govinda' is normally sung in Mukhari. There is an MSS version which is quite good. For now, this is what I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enU7e_s96rs The one from Mantralaya Mahime is a bit light on Mukhari

rajesh_rs

Post by rajesh_rs »

vasanthakokilam wrote:>3. Bhairavi - Indu Enage Govinda

'Indu Enage Govinda' is normally sung in Mukhari. There is an MSS version which is quite good. For now, this is what I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enU7e_s96rs The one from Mantralaya Mahime is a bit light on Mukhari
Didn't know that! Mukhari is another beautiful ragam, especially like Sivakama Sundari as rendered by DKP. Is the Eradu Kanasu version in Mukhari? It sounded like Bhairavi to me...

vasanthakokilam

rajesh: It is supposed to be in Mukhari and I think in Eradu Kanasu the intention is probably Mukhari but not enough attention is paid to the details to bring out the Mukhari identity without any ambiguity. Like how she sings 'AnandA', she is trying mukhari but not enough azhuttham to clinch it in favor of mukhari.

Try this MSS version. For me, this is the gold standard for this song. MSS starts with the Raghavendra mUla manthra and then launches into the song. Quite divine.

http://sangeethamshare.org/murthy/172-P ... akshmi.mp3

( If the above direct link does not work, go to http://sangeethamshare.org/murthy/172-P ... is-385-Nos and in the alphabetized list look for
InduEnageGovindaNinnaPadaravindavaToro-Mukhari-MSSubbulakshmi.mp3

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

1. Sbharanam - swara rAga sudhA, sAmi ninne. Also like sarOja daLa nEtri.
2. kAmbhoji - koniyADina nApai, evari mATa. I liked kAshi vishvEshvara also.
3. tODi - rAvE himagiri kumAri, karuNAnidhi ilalO, shrI kriShNam
4. kalyANi - nidhi cAla sukhamA?, bIrAna varAlicci, Rama ni vadukontivo?, kAruvelpulu.
5. bhairavi - rakSha beTTare, viribhONi, koluvai yunnADE! Note: I like mukhAri more than bhairavi.
6. khpriya - pakkala nilabaDi, cakkani rAjamArgamulu. Also like okapari.

arunk

Post by arunk »

vk - I think the one in the movie is bhairavi only - and fairly standard one at that

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 19 Jul 2009, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Arun. I had that inkling as well but figured in film songs they were mixing the two up ( given how she sing that 'ananda' 1:02 to 1:05 and also the sequence from 1:41 to 2:10 which sounded like Mukhari to me, but then right around 2:14 when she takes back the refrain it was pretty much bhairavi) Thanks for the clarification.

What about this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UdgYts1Sd8

arunk

Post by arunk »

hmm. I had the same feeling of bhairavi until I heard nondEnayya.. part starting from 1:45 which seems to have a very discernible mukhari whiff (which then remains back to the refrain). I didnt get this far with that other video. Confusing unless the order of ragas in the raga malika is bhairavi (pallavi), next is mukhari, next is ranjani etc. Still mukhari after bhairavi would be an unusual choice in a ragamalika.

Arun

vasanthakokilam

Arun, that is probably what it is: Ragamalika with bhairavi, mukhari and ranjani. Is the AnandA 1:02 - 1:04 in the first one, 1:06 to 1:08 in the second one, kosher for bhairavi?. It seems to precariously hang in a balance and possibly tilting towards Mukhari. Please listen and let me know.

arunk

Post by arunk »

To my ears that seemed ok in the context of bhairavi (m g~ rs). Now if the sa was held at r's pitch for a little bit and slid down to sa (say like mgr..s), that I think would be more mukhari like. This is just my feel - the more knowledgeable may have more reliable info.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 20 Jul 2009, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

rajesh_rs

Post by rajesh_rs »

arunk wrote:To my ears that seemed ok in the context of bhairavi (m g~ rs). Now if the sa was held at r's pitch for a little bit and slid down to sa (say like mgr..s), that I think would be more mukhari like. This is just my feel - the more knowledgeable may have more reliable info.

Arun
I am listening to a Lec-dem by T M Krishna where he differentiates between Bhairavi, Mukhari and Huseni. I guess the use of the nishadam and the gandharam are different in the ragas. I am not sure I understood it the way he explained it so could someone summarize? (I don't know if this has already been discussed) Thanks.