Favourites in the Big 6

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rbharath

Post by rbharath »

vijay and srikant, dEvi mInanEtri of shyama sAstri is in shankarAbaraNam.

rajumds, evari mATa is in kambhOji

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Thanks Bharat , I have edited.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

My ranking:
Top 1 shared by Sankarabharanam and Todi - what majestic ragas these two are!
Then come:
Bhairavi
Kh.Priya
Kambodhi
Kalyani

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

Bhairavi (one of my favorite ragas): I like Tanayuni Brova, Viriboni Varnam, Upacharamu (short and long), the swarajati, and the navavarnam. But my personal favorite is Balagopala. This kriti beautifully brings out the gamakas of Bhairavi. KVN Sir was the master of this kriti. There was a neraval of KVN Sir for the line 'nIla nIrada sharIra' that Coolkarni Sir had uploaded once. I never fail to get goosepimples any time I listen to it. I turned into a big DKJ fan after listening to a recording of Raksha Bettare accompanied by Raghu Sir. I also like the patnam kriti ni pAdamule. KoluvaiyunnAdE, so great to hear, but one tough kriti to learn. Like Prashant, I too hope to learn this kriti this year.

Kalyani: etAvunnarA is my favorite, because of its lovely meaning, great raga bhava, and lilting rhythm. I also like abhayambA, kamalAmbAm bhajarE, and bhajarE chitta. The last one is also a KVN masterpiece for me, especially his neraval in nijarupa dAna daksha charanA. One must listen to nedunuri gAru singing enduko nI manasu. Such a lovely kriti by the saint !!!

Todi: Tyagaraja's best-sellers all the way -> emi jEsitE, Emani matlAditivO, jEsinadella, koluvamarEgada, kOti nadulu ( i learnt this from nedunuri gAru), gati nIvani (i personally think no other todi can equal this). The only Dikshitar kriti I really like is the navavarnam. I hope I get to learn gajavadana this year, sometime.

Kambhoji: O rangasAyee, marakatavallIm (although a samashti charanam kriti, how beautifully kambhoji has been presented here), evarimAta, sri raghuvarAprameya, mahita pravrddha srImati, sri subrahmanyAya namastE (is it possible for anyone to know this kriti and not know about KVN Sir !!!). I also like kailAsanAthena a lot. Misra cApu + Kambhoji is a rare combo (although dIkshitar might have composed it in triputa and not in m' cApu).

Kharaharapriya: rAmA nIyada, nadaCi nadaCi, sankalpamE, cakkani rAjamArgamu, srinivAsa tava charanam (gone through the KVN beautifying machine), mitri bhAgyamE (nedunuri gAru patented), and a firebrand SSI singing rAma nI samAnamevaru, with neraval and swaras at paluku paluku.

Shankarabharanam: swara rAga sudhA (the first 2 kalai kriti I learnt), dakshinAmurtE, manasu swAdhinamai (my guru in Mumbai sings it beautifully), navAvarnam (DKJ sir and disciples' version is fantastic). ARI's akshayalingavibhO, I am sure, must be one everyone's list.
Last edited by mahesh_narayan on 21 Feb 2009, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Here is my list:

1)Todi: Karunajudavamma, Kaddanuvaariki, Koluvamaregada, Munnu ravana, Dachukovalena (Tyagaraja), Nannu brochutaku (Subbaraya Sastri), Ninne nammi naanu (Syama Sastri), Ninnanodi dhanyanaadeno (Purandara dasa), Kaliteera vandarul (Kotiswara Iyer), Sarasija naabha muraare (Swati Tirunal), Mahaganapatim vande (Dikshitar), Poosadaaramu (Govindasamayya)

2)Sankarabharanam: Akshayalinga vibho, Dakshinamurte (Dikshitar), Saroja dala netri (Syama Sastri), Sri shanmukha janaka (Mysore Sadasiva Rao), Swara raga sudharasa (Tyagaraja), Hogaadiralo ranga (Purandara dasa), Aarthappiravi (Tiruvempavai)

3)Bhairavi: Tanayuni brova, Raksha bettare, Koluvaiyunnade (Tyagaraja), Balagopala (Dikshitar), Sariyevaramma (Syama Sastri), Neepaadamule (Patnam), Odi baaraiyya (Purandara dasa), Rama rama (Kshetrayya), Ela raada (Chinniah)

4)Kalyani: Kamalambam bhajare, Sivakameswarim (Dikshitar), Neesarisaati (Ponniah Pillai), Kantimatim (Subbarama Dikshitar), Nijadasa varada (Patnam), Birana brova (Tarangambadi Panchanada Iyer), Gaddari vagala (Kshetrayya), Entati kuluke (Dharmapuri Subbarayar)

5)Kamboji: O Rangasayi, Evarimata (Tyagaraja), Sri subhramanyaaya namsate (Dikshitar), Adi oka yugamu, Balavinave (Kshetrayya), Emi maayamu (Pattabhiramayya)

6)Kharaharapriya: Chakkani raja (Tyagaraja), Rama ee vela (Varnam)

prashant

Post by prashant »

How did I forget nannu brOCuTaku in tODi? :-)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

annamalai wrote:
Sanjay Subramanyan sang a big 5 raga concert at Music Academy in 2003 ? Karthikeya Gangeya - Thodi, Ma Janaki - Kamboji, Kanthimathi - Kalyani, Balagopala - Bhairavi and Thirupugaz - Sankarabaranam.
Yes, I vividly remember this concert too. Sanjay was in great form. So was T K Murthy mama on mridangam. But Murthy mama suffered a heart attack/stroke midway through concert. Looking at the pain on Murthy mama's face, Sanjay forcibly finished the tani and galloped through the tiuppugazh (kAdi nodi). As soon as the concert was finished (abt 45 minutes earlier than scheduled time), Murthy mama collapsed right on the stage. Murthy mama was rushed to the hospital by Mr Ramji of MA. My Aunt and myself were waiting for the rAgam tAnam pallavi in karaharapriyA. It was surprising that even under such circumstances Murthy mama was interested in finishing the concert. He showed such great spirit.

dhanyasi

Post by dhanyasi »

I am surprised that kshetragna's "rama rama prana saki" is not found in any bhairavi list even barath's :( a true masterpiece in bhairavi

mohan

Post by mohan »

There are so many beautiful krithis in these ragas, that it really is hard to choose. I can't really say I dislike any of the songs in these ragas (especially from the trinity) but here are some of my favourite ones:

1) Bhairavi: Chintayamam (Dikshitar) Koluvaiyunnade (Thyagaraja), Kamakshi (Syama Sastri), Neepadamule (Patnam)

2) Kamboji: Sri subramanyaya namaste (Dikshitar), Evarimata (Thyagaraja)

3) Thodi: Koluvamaregada (Tyagaraja), Bharati mam (Swati Tirunal), Sri Krishnam (Dikshitar)

4) Kharaharapriya: Rama nee samana, Chakkani raja (Thyagaraja), Srinivasa (Papanasam Sivan)

5) Kalyani: Pankaja lochana (Swati Tirunal) Evaramadugudura (Thyagaraja)

6) Sankarabharanam: Sri Kamalamba (Dikshitar), Swara raga sudharasa (Thyagaraja)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ksrimech wrote: Yes, I vividly remember this concert too. Sanjay was in great form. So was T K Murthy mama on mridangam. But Murthy mama suffered a heart attack/stroke midway through concert. Looking at the pain on Murthy mama's face, Sanjay forcibly finished the tani and galloped through the tiuppugazh (kAdi nodi). As soon as the concert was finished (abt 45 minutes earlier than scheduled time), Murthy mama collapsed right on the stage. Murthy mama was rushed to the hospital by Mr Ramji of MA. My Aunt and myself were waiting for the rAgam tAnam pallavi in karaharapriyA. It was surprising that even under such circumstances Murthy mama was interested in finishing the concert. He showed such great spirit.
Krishna

I do remember reading about that event. Didn't know you were personally there. What a great vidvaan. No doubt he has been honouured by the whole community
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... -kind.html

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Yes we were in the balcony (Rs 50 ticket). That was just before I landed in CU Boulder for becoming Dr ksrimech. I think I reported it in sangeetham.com then. I feel TKM is a great pokkisham to CM.
Last edited by ksrimech on 22 Feb 2009, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Hey -- I was in the balcony too for that concert! Was it 2003 December?

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

I was reminded of a brilliant composition of Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar in tOdi (Sri VENKATESAM; which TM Krishna sings). For me, this ranks on par with the best in this rAgam.

prashant

Post by prashant »

dhanyasi: rAma rAma is very much there in mine :-)

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

funny how often TMK has been mentioned in this thread...well, he does emphasize the weight these ragas deserve. I enjoy literally all of the krithis here....but whats clear is that it is just as important as to how the artists present it....the raga, krithi and the artist seem to be in unison when it comes to these 6 ragas. I like to think of things in 7, so I will add Sahana to my list:

thodi: raave himagiri (SSI/TMK/Vijay Siva), ninne nammi naanu (SKR)
kalyani: nidhichala (TMK), thalli ninnu nera (TNS/Ranjani Gayathri), bhajare chitta (MS, KVN), MLV and Suguna's....I really love when they sing this raga.
Shankarabharanam: Sadashivam Upasmahe(TMK, TMK and TMK), Rama Ninnu Vina (Love the breezy way Sanjay sings this), Dakshinamurthey (SSI, BMK's version is one I always treasure due to the clarity in enunciation)
Kambodhi: Kaana Kann(MMI), O Rangasayi(SSI), Kasi Vishveshwara (Vijay Siva)
Bhairavi: Swarajathi (Nedunuri/Voleti.SSI), Balagopala (KVN)
kharaharapriya: Nadaci Nadaci (SSI/TMK). I dont like pakkala nilabadi....particularly when MS sings it :(!
Sahana: Giripai..

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

dhanyasi, i m surprised myself as to why i missed rAma rAma prANa sakhi. but then, i did miss many more of my favourites.

I just typing the first kritis i would remember and wish to listen when i think of the rAgam...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

One minor side point. When Vijay said at the outset that multiple krithis per Big 6 raga are encouraged, he had the group interest in mind that this will result in some new recommendations which has indeed been the case. But it is a great exercise (bordering on self-inquiry) to limit oneself to two or three and struggle which ones to include and which ones to leave out.

vasanthakokilam

Vijay, may I give you an assignment? Wouldn't it be great to have a table with the name of the krithi and a link to the recommended rendition(s) of the krithis in people's lists. I am sure sangeethapriya has a lot of such tables. It will be along those lines but it will be in the context of people's lists and their recommendations.

If an existing online link is not available but if someone has a non-commercial rendition, please use services like esnips instead of the file sharing services like sendspace for this purpose since they tend to be more permanent.

We can pitch in to help in organizing the table.

On second thoughts, may be it is better that we give the responsibility of finding the links of their recommendations to individual members. we can then collate and bring it to one central place.

The usual disclaimer: Links to non-commercial renditions only please!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

OK, VK.
tODi: yes! Sri venkaTESam. neraval beautiful both at dEvEndra vinutam, dIna dayAkaram and at mAra janakam mAdhava nAmakam in the caraNam. I have to admit the song didn't come to mind until I saw kamalamba's post. Thanks, Mohan!
KalyANi: again, thanks to you, your namesake kamalAmbA(m)! All of the caraNam is invaluable.
SankarAbharaNam: manasu svAdInamaina
Bhairavi: koluvaiynnADE (may I add one more? yArO ivar yArO). Hey! Remember I am truly trying to make friends with this lofty rAgA.
kHambOji: ivan yArO (ArO)? I like the rich imagery and movemnt in this song. And, neraval at vAsavAdi sakala dEva vanditAya varENya in SrI subrahmaNyAya (specially of the AriyakkuDi school).
kharaharapriya: I bet only a few will know this song. AdAram nItAn enRarindEn, aRindu caraNaDaindEn--apart from a sentimental attachment to this song, it is a moving Kharaharapriya in its lines too. Neraval line: alai kaDal turumbena avadiyuRum enakkabayam tA!
Now I get it. the words have to have an emotional impact on me as well...

vidya

Post by vidya »

(In order of preference)

Kalyani: kAruvelpulu, nIkE dayatOci, AbhayAmbA, birAnabrOva idE
ShankarabharaNam: DakshinamUrtE, girijayAjayA, ShambhO jagadIsha pAhimAm (not the BMK version)
KAmbhOji: kAshI vishvEshvara, O Ranga sAyI, vadarakapO POve
Bhairavi : Swarajati, Rama Rama prANasakhi
Todi : Swarajati, endu dAginADO, shrI subrahmaNyo mAM, tarali poyyE, dAni sAmajendra and rUpamu jUci
Kharaharapriya : Kori sevimpa rAre
I think the Sambamoorthian lore about this composition has something to do with my love for this composition but I find the KHP here refreshingly different.
Last edited by vidya on 23 Feb 2009, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

S'bharaNam: sarOjadaLanEtri, SrI candramoLISvarArdhanArISvara, manavi cEkOnarAdA, girijayAjaya
kAmbhOjI: O rangaSAyI, marakatavallIm (GNB's), tiruvaDi SaraNam, kuzhal Udi manamellAm
kalyANI: vAsudEvayani (GNB's version), birAna varAlu icci, rAvE parvata rAjakumArI, a tukkaDA - vELai arindE SolluvAi, beginning to fall in love with Somu's SivE pAhimAm
tODi: dASarathI, kArtikEya gANgEya, rAvE himagiri kumArI, tAyE yaSOdA
bhairavi: yArO ivar yArO (the bhairavI version), EnATi nOmu (N at sundaraESa suguNabrunda...), ambA kAmAkshI, bAlagOpAla
k'priyA: pakkala nilapaDi, cakkanirAja, rAmA ivvELa (pada varNam), (sau)mitri bhAgyamE

vasanthakokilam

Vidya, is that in the preference order? Then you answered my prior curiosity about if anyone is going to have kalyani as number 1.

BTW, this karuveppilai krithi...hmmm.. sorry ( ;) )..kAruvelpulu krithi is new to me and it figures in a few people's lists. I need to check it out.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Nice thread - but not to be influenced by so many nice compositions that might have already been mentioned, I am jumping in to name my picks before reading all those posts!

tOdi : rAvE himagiri, subramanyo mAm rakshatu, kamalamba dhyana kriti, kangaLidyAtakO kAvEri rangana, Krishnam bhaja mAnasa, koluva maragada

bhairavi : viribONi, kAmAkshi amba, bAlagOpAla, gati vErevaramma, lalitE SripravRuddhE, janani mAmava

kAmbhOji: marakatavallIm, O rangaSAyI, evari mATa

shankarAbharaNa: nAgalingam bhajEham, akshaya linga vibhO, eduTA nilachite, pOgadirelo ranga, sarOjadaLanEtri

Kharaharapriya : chakkani rAja, samAnamevaru, rAmA nIyeDa

kalyANi: nidhichAla sukhamA, kAruvelpulu, sundari nI divya, nijadAsa varadA, kamalAmbAm bhajarE ... and many more about which I had written sometime ago

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2008/03 ... i-top-ten/

Now I'llgo back to the beginning and read all the postings :)

(added on Feb 27th) - If I were to order the rAgas in the order of preference, It might look like

KalyANi

tODi

ShankarAbharana

bhairavi

kharaharapriya

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 27 Feb 2009, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

blackadder

Post by blackadder »

Bhairavi - Balagopala (MD), Kamakshi (SS), Rakshabettare (T)
Kalyani - Bhaja re (MD), Kamalambam (MD), Kanthimathim (Subbaraya Shastri), Pankaja Lochana (ST)
Kambhoji - O Rangasayee (T), Sri Subrahmanyaya (MD), Elara Sri Krishna (T)
Karaharapriya - Raasa keli (OVS), Samanam evvaru (T), Chakkani (T)
Shankarabharanam - Akshaya linga vibho (MD), Svara raga sudha (T), Sri Shankaracharyam (Subbaraya Shastri)
Todi - Dasarathi (T), Sri Krishnam (MD), Gajavadana (Kumara Ettendra)

vijay

Post by vijay »

Happy to work on the assignment, VK but we would need to know which specific rendition from Sangeethapriya (if at all). To begin with we could do an interim poll...will update results later today (if not already done by someone else in the interim)

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

vasanthakokilam wrote: kAruvelpulu krithi is new to me and it figures in a few people's lists. I need to check it out.
Karuvelpulu - Kalyani has been rendered by Alathur Brothers. Superb. The only other rendition I have heard is by Prof. SRJ. This krithi is almost out of concert circulation.

Mari Mari Ninne - Kamboji was also out of circulation, until recently.

BTW, the brothers have also sung - Rama Nee Vadu - Adi talam tisra nadai; not heard in concerts.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

annamalai wrote:
vasanthakokilam wrote: kAruvelpulu krithi is new to me and it figures in a few people's lists. I need to check it out.
Karuvelpulu - Kalyani has been rendered by Alathur Brothers. Superb. The only other rendition I have heard is by Prof. SRJ. This krithi is almost out of concert circulation.

Mari Mari Ninne - Kamboji was also out of circulation, until recently.

BTW, the brothers have also sung - Rama Nee Vadu - Adi talam tisra nadai; not heard in concerts.
Yes, the only rendition of Karuvelpu I have heard (SRJ), was thanks to Rasika forum. (Prashant? probably) - It is so refreshingly different than other Kalyani kritis.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 23 Feb 2009, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

link to Alathur Brothers karuvelpulu

http://sangeethamshare.org/gvr/kalyani/ ... Ji_PMI.mp3

vijay

Post by vijay »

Pantula Rama also sang Karuvelpulu at a concert in Vani Mahal. Bangalore MS Sheela sang it at the Academy last season. Both were very fine renditions. Latter is available at sangeethapriya.

vijay

Post by vijay »

I heard TMK sing Rama Nee Vadukonduko on a couple of occasions but not recently

vasanthakokilam

Oh my.. this karuvelpulu krithi is wonderful. Quite sweet, in an uncharacteristic fashion for kalyani ( meaning I do not associate that much sweetness with Kalyani ). Also, what a great rendition by AB!! During the singing of the krithi, the thought that came to me is 'It is like how paridanamichithe is for bilahari (raga)' :) The way the 'adukku' style of packing of swaras into a beat in the composition is similar in construction to paridanamichithe, I thought.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks for the info about MS Sheela's recording. Nice rendering, but I liked SRJ's rendition better.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

is Prof SRJ's karuvelpulu available online? thanks!

vasanthakokilam

ramakriya/vijay: If you happen to have the sangeethapriya link for the Sheela's karuvelpulu, please post. I could not find it with their search facility. Thx.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

M S Sheela: http://sangeethamshare.org/tvg/SEASON_2 ... arAjar.mp3

I must have SRJ's rendition; I can look up and upload. Give me some time :)

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 25 Feb 2009, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

Venkatpv / Ramakriya - Here are the youtube links to SRJ's kAruvElpulu nIku sari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfN4xItZTh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscN9RP4j0M

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

thank you!

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

It's such a different kalyani in this song!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

wow! SRJ sing kAruvElpulu.. :)

however the most moving rendition i have heard of this song in a concert, was by the son of Subbu Iyer of the brothers, Alathoor Sri S Venkataraman at PS High School Auditorium sometime ago....

vijay

Post by vijay »

OK as per VK's suggestion, I am summarizing results - for both ragas and popular krithis. A total of 23 responses were received

As far as ragas are concerned Thodi rules with the lowest average rank. The order is 1) Thodi, 2) Bhairavi 3) Kambhoji and Shankarabharanam (tied), 5) Kalyani and 6) Kharaharapriya.

Thodi is also the favourite raga of the maximum number of people (10), followed by Bhairavi (7). Funnily, no one has listed Kambhoji as his/her favourite raga - every other raga has at least one votary! Expectednly Kalyani and Kharaharapriya are at the bottom of the list for the maximum number of people (6 each)

Coming to Krithis, about 150 krithis were named across the 6 ragas. Thodi was once again the topper with 39 being listed and the least was in case of Kharaharapriya (14). I have calculated results based on all krithis names unless one (or more) krithis were speficically indicated as being the favourites.

Thodi - The Swarajathi takes the top spot followed closely by Koluvamaregadha and Sree Krishnam

Kalyani - Deekshitar walks away with the credits here, accounting for the top 2 spots with Bhaja Re Re Chitta and Abhayamba (surprise entry at the top). Pankaja Lochana and Nidhi Tsala are tied at the third spot

Shankarabharanam - Deekshitar again - Dakshinamurthe and Akshaya Linga Vibho tied at the top. Swara Raga Sudha is in third position, not too far behind.

Kambhoji - Expected results with Sri Subrahmanyaya and O Rangasayee tied at the top. Maragavathavallim and Evari Mata are tied at third but way below (6 counts as against 13 each for the other pair).

Kharaharapriya - Not too many surprises again given the number of krithis. Chakkani is easily the favourite. Pakkala Nilabadi comes up next but is well down the list. Rama Nee Yeda and Rama Nee Samanamevaru are tied for third close behind Pakkala

Bhairavi - The contest was really between the Swarajathi and the varnam. The Swarajathi wins with 16 followed by Viribhoni (11). Balagopala is in third spot (8) with respectable mentions for Koluvaiyunnade and Tanayuni Brova (6 each).

Surprising to note that both the Swarajathis in the big 6 bagged top honours in their respective categories. Also

I will try and compile a list of all krithis mentioned a little later.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Please note the above are quick calculations and I am not making any claims for accuracy!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Another striking observation is that the top 3 krithis are all compositions of the Trinity except for Pankaja Lochana and Viribhoni!

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

Tyagaraja's Enduko ni manasu in Kalyani is a favourite of mine. Apart from Hyderabad Bros. and Charulatha Mani, I haven't encountered it in concerts.

vijay

Post by vijay »

I have heard Sudha and Priya Sisters render the song.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Nedunuri Sir's endukO nI manasu is captivating to say the least...

vijay

Post by vijay »

Will try and d/l - it is a fantastic song. I thought Priya sisters did a decent job - esp neraval at Thyagaraja Hrudaya..

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

prashant wrote:Nedunuri Sir's endukO nI manasu is captivating to say the least...
I can well imagine any Kalyani rendition of Nedunuri Krishnamoorthy being captivating! I enjoy his recordings of Amma Ravamma, Nammi vaccina, Kathaya kathaya, Himadrisute and other Kalyani pieces.
Is there a clip of his Endukoni available online? thanks!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vijay wrote:OK as per VK's suggestion, I am summarizing results - for both ragas and popular krithis. A total of 23 responses were received

As far as ragas are concerned Thodi rules with the lowest average rank. The order is 1) Thodi, 2) Bhairavi 3) Kambhoji and Shankarabharanam (tied), 5) Kalyani and 6) Kharaharapriya.

Thodi is also the favourite raga of the maximum number of people (10), followed by Bhairavi (7). Funnily, no one has listed Kambhoji as his/her favourite raga - every other raga has at least one votary! Expectednly Kalyani and Kharaharapriya are at the bottom of the list for the maximum number of people (6 each)

Coming to Krithis, about 150 krithis were named across the 6 ragas. Thodi was once again the topper with 39 being listed and the least was in case of Kharaharapriya (14). I have calculated results based on all krithis names unless one (or more) krithis were speficically indicated as being the favourites.

Thodi - The Swarajathi takes the top spot followed closely by Koluvamaregadha and Sree Krishnam

Kalyani - Deekshitar walks away with the credits here, accounting for the top 2 spots with Bhaja Re Re Chitta and Abhayamba (surprise entry at the top). Pankaja Lochana and Nidhi Tsala are tied at the third spot

Shankarabharanam - Deekshitar again - Dakshinamurthe and Akshaya Linga Vibho tied at the top. Swara Raga Sudha is in third position, not too far behind.

Kambhoji - Expected results with Sri Subrahmanyaya and O Rangasayee tied at the top. Maragavathavallim and Evari Mata are tied at third but way below (6 counts as against 13 each for the other pair).

Kharaharapriya - Not too many surprises again given the number of krithis. Chakkani is easily the favourite. Pakkala Nilabadi comes up next but is well down the list. Rama Nee Yeda and Rama Nee Samanamevaru are tied for third close behind Pakkala

Bhairavi - The contest was really between the Swarajathi and the varnam. The Swarajathi wins with 16 followed by Viribhoni (11). Balagopala is in third spot (8) with respectable mentions for Koluvaiyunnade and Tanayuni Brova (6 each).

Surprising to note that both the Swarajathis in the big 6 bagged top honours in their respective categories. Also

I will try and compile a list of all krithis mentioned a little later.
He He I was not aware that was to be the ranking order :) and I went as per the mELa number! And some others might have done the same thing too. That probably explains tODi and kalyANi's position in the results!

I definitely prefer kalyANi to Kharaharapriya, for eg, but I did not post it in that order

=Ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

vijay wrote:Please note the above are quick calculations and I am not making any claims for accuracy!
You mean, the firm of Ernst and Young did not oversee the counting! Tsk...tsk...tsk...:P

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

vijay wrote: Thodi - The Swarajathi takes the top spot followed closely by Koluvamaregadha and Sree Krishnam
There is the death knell for the grand shri subramanyo mam rakshatu!! Goes to show that a certain legendary musician is a better tunesmith than MD himself ;)