Anjaneya and Bhagavat Gita

History, religion and culture
satyabalu

Anjaneya and Bhagavat Gita

Post by satyabalu »

Like to be initiated in simple terms where the mention of Anjaneya in Bhagavat Gita.is available.
Also to update for any other Vaggeyakara or composer to have covered His role witnessing the battle (in Arjuna's flag) .We have Geetharthamu of Saint Thiagaraja.

Rsachi

Re: Anjaneya and Bhagavat Gita

Post by Rsachi »

There is no mention of Anjaneya in the BhagavadGita. Mahabharata mentions that he was depicted in the flag. It is implied thst this Chiranjeevi, who can go whetever he pleases, was very much a witness to the sacred dialogue.
Incidentally, Sanjaya narrates the Gita to Dhritarashtra as a part of his telereportage of the battle. But no one else around was privy to the exchanges. It is to be thence inferred that the entire dialogue was beyond normal real time scale verbal communication. Since Vyasa had granted a special privilege to Sanjaya, he heard it. He recounts finally how thrilling the expeience was.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Thanks for the update.I am interested about vaggeyakaras mentioning.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I am travelling. Will look up when able, sir.
Hoping PD would have references

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sir, in the shloka 20 of I chapter, Arjuna is referred to as Kapidhvaja. It is interpreted to mean he had the sign of Hanuman on his chariot flag. The flag for a famous warrior is always a matter of proud symbolism. Hanuman stands for righteous strength.

I also heard an interesting story {what we call upakatha - not in the main scripture} : Hanuman was rather busy during the Rama Ravana war and could not witness the might and valour of Rama. So he requested that he be granted an opportunity to witness such a scene. His wish was granted by Krishna that he would get a ringside view of the Kurukshetra battle being on Arjuna's flag. Of course Krishna did not fight but thought Hanuman would enjoy the sight of battle. But apparently Hanuman later said the battle was boring compared to Ramayana battle... Except on two occasions- when Abhimanyu fought and also when Bhishma provoked Krishna to charge at him carrying a chariot wheel. :)

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Interestingly, Hanuman is one of the 4 people who heard the Bhagavath Gita when Krishna delivered it to Arjuna.

The 4 people are,
Arjuna
Hanuman
Sanjaya
Barbarika, Ghatkocha's son, who is sacrificed before the war for victory. For his sacrifice, Krishna put his head on a hill nearby where he watched the entire war.