500+ most frequently used telugu words in carnatic music

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Ravi. As usual, the tamil equivalent helps tremendously to relate to the words intimately and the equivalent hindi word is a great learning opportunity. Over time we can organize this along "Telugu English Tamil Hindi" along with Kannada and Malayalam if volunteers can help out there. For now, we will take the meanings as they come along and collate and organize them later on.

Thanks.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

abhimAnam- also means liking or love(pyAr)- as in 'sItApatE nApai nIkkabhimAnamu lEdA?

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Inspired by vasanthakokilam's awesome work, I wanted to see what Wordle would do with Lakshman's Tyagaraja corpus.

Here it is (click on the image to see the real thing):

Update: Here's a similar exercise with the Lakshman Dikshitar corpus.

And to round it out:

Last edited by gn.sn42 on 13 May 2009, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Awesome, gn.sn42! Great material for a rasikas.org T-shirt or Shawl which we can all wear with great abhimAnam!

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Thanks, vasanthakokilam - that's a great idea, by the way. Wordle allows free use of these images under a CC-BY license (attribution is required).

Getting a little carried away, I put in the rasikas.org forum URL into Wordle to get this:

Last edited by gn.sn42 on 13 May 2009, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Superb! gn.sn42!!
Thanks!

chetana

Post by chetana »

a couple of additions

rArA = come on!, to invite

(this takes on a more familiar tone - similar to vA DA)

Kula = caste, class

clan/dynasty (e.g. raghukula, taranikula sanjata etc)

Toil = first, foremost

toli

Suta = son

actually a daughter

sutudu is son

Sukhamu = peace, happiness, joy, etc

also comfort

mA = ours

also our (possessive variant )

kanna = one who gave birth to

1. also one who was given birth (depending on the context)

e.g. nannu kanna talli --> oh mother who gave birth to me

na kanna koduku--> the son i gave birth to

2. also having seen ((related to kannu)

3. than (inta kanna anandamemi - is there happiness greater/more than this?)

kana = seen

not sure about this

vAni = saraswati, sArada (goddess of letters)

also one's speech/words
tanaku = his, him

to him/her (tana is gender-neutral)

rArE = (emphasizing that someone) will not come

also do come or why dont you come (plural) as in sriganapatini sevimpa rare

guru = teacher

also father

gati = speed, velocity. Also status, choice.

also path, destination

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

chetana wrote: *********************
Toil = first, foremost
toli
Suta = son
actually a daughter
sutudu is son
vAni = saraswati, sArada (goddess of letters)
also one's speech/words
suta is son in sankrit-ish usages and sutA is daughter.. in pure telugu, however all words of sanskrit origin which are feminine and end in a long aa - sItA/ lalitA/ kalpalatA are spelt and pronounced as sIta/lalita/ kalpalata..

vAni is his/that person's as in ala vAni..

vANI is sarasvati or speech..

p.s - couldn't the final translation list be alphabetical, for convenience..

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

pps I think chetana means that toil should be replaced by toli..

ppps -
Vinay wrote: it looks I'll have to trouble Lakshman and keerthi and rshankar and isramesh and various others here, lol.
Dear vinay,
let me disabuse you of any illusions you have about me and telugu.. I have almost no telugu; and what little i know, I learnt a certain Thyagabrahma Mc.ramabrahma..
Last edited by keerthi on 13 May 2009, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

gn.sn42 - great work.

I actually tried to check if 'rendition' had made it into your wordle exercise with this URL...not sure, but it looks like we're safe! :P
Last edited by rshankar on 13 May 2009, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

rshankar, I'm glad you like Wordle's rendition of rasikas.org :)

(By the way, I did not do any "work" - I just stuck the text or URL into Wordle, which did the rest.)
Last edited by gn.sn42 on 14 May 2009, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

Vinay

Post by Vinay »

keerthi wrote: Dear vinay,
let me disabuse you of any illusions you have about me and telugu.. I have almost no telugu; and what little i know, I learnt a certain Thyagabrahma Mc.ramabrahma..
I did notice that you were sometimes unsure when providing translations or meanings, but still, you do know something, and you take effort too. Plus, you always make it clear when you're not completely certain of what you've said. I think you could be helpful. : )

vasanthakokilam

isramesh, ravi, chetana, keerthi: Whenever you can, provide meanings and context commentary for the words. No real hurry and I realize you are all busy. I thought I will bump this thread to the top so it is not forgotten.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Sure, could you take the words from that matrix image and mail them to me/ post them here in a copy-paste-able format for convenience...

vasanthakokilam

keerthi, since the spreadsheet does not display properly here, I e-mailed it to you. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kOri is not just begging. 'Appealing' is apt in many instances. tamizh: kOrikkai (n); kannada has kOrike, I think.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

All the words aren't telugu, some are sanskrit..

The words are listed in descending order of frequency of appearance.. Am trying to do it in instalments... translations are in english, tamizh,kannada, hindi order..

1. 340 nI - your, unnuDaya,ninna, tumhArA, (nI bhajanagAna-rasikula = people who enjoy singing your praises)

2. 262 ani - ?, enru/enbadu, anta/andarE, ? (rama-(y)ani chapalAksula pEru = rAmA enral a name for courtesans)

3a. 233 SrI - ?, tiru, SrI,..A sanskrit word with usage as old as the samhita of the vedAs, it is used as a honorific prefix. also used to indicate the best, most auspicious/propitious..(srI-kara, srIda etc mean one who causes/gives good/nalam/mangaLa)

3b. srI - laksmI generally used by thyAgarAja as a compound with a word for lord, to mean ViSNu/rAma(srI-pathE nI pada, srInAyaka kSamiyincumu)

rarely used in the sense of srI by herself (srI-vanithA-hrt-kumuda, srI-vanitA-chitta-kumuda, srI-mAninI-manOhara etc..)

4. 218 nA - my, enn(-uDaya), nanna, mErA..(]nA moralanu vini = listen to my entreaties)

5. 198 rAma - The name of thyAgaraja's ishTa deva - rAma, treated as the trEta-yuga avatAra(I won't say 7th 0r 8th) of ViSNu..

6. 188 nuta - A sanskrit word meaning worshipped, vaNangappaTTa,namaskarisalpatta, ?
X-nuta means worshipped by X..

words with more or less the same meaning include nata, sannuta,pUjita,(kara)-archita, vandita.. pUjya,vandya convey the same meaning approximately..

7.166 vara - a sanskrit word for best..syn.Uttama (RaGhuvara = best of the raghu clan, naravara = best among men)

8. 148 nannu - me, ennai, nanna(nnu), muJhe/muJhkO.. (raghuvara nannu marava taguna = O best of RaGhus, does it befit you to forget me ?)
In poetry this can be replaced by nanu(like enai for ennai in tamizh)

9. 144 ninnu - to you?, unnai, ninna(nnu), tumhe/tumko.. (ninnu bAsI ara nimiSamorvanu = I can't stand seperation from you, even for half a second)
this in poetry can also transmute to ninu (see nannu above)

10. 143 nIvu - You, nI/nIr,nInu/nIvu, tum/Ap [all singular] (nIvu brovavalE)

Comments about presentation, things to be included,avoided.. and corrections are awaited..

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Agreed about Kori, appeal is a better translation than beg.. I wasn't satisfied with it, either..
I could remember entreat and supplicate but not appeal, funny, how brains work..

vasanthakokilam

Keerthi, format looks good, especially the multiple languages and the example usage where you use some words which you had provided meaning earlier. It is buiding up nicey. Thanks very much.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Keetrhi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think for 'kOri', 'depending upon'/'seeking'/'desiring' would also work.

ninnE kOri vaccinadi - unnaiyE nambi/nADi/vENDi vandirukkirAL - tumhArE hI bharOsE mein/cAh mein AyI hai - depending on/seeking/desiring no one but you, she has come

arunk

Post by arunk »

Excellent! This thread would be a gold mine of information.

Arun

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

rshankar,

nambi/bharosE seems fine, but desire can only be seen as a secondary meaning; the link may be beg ~ appeal ~ wish ~ want ~ desire.. the connection is there, but seems rather tenuous.. Serious telugu knowers/speakers should clarify..

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

the next instalment..

11. 134 nIku - to you, unakku, ninage, tumkO? (nIku tanaku rNa-rnI-bhAvamu =a debtor's relationship with respect to you )
the problem with translation into english is that it doesn't recognise the case endings well.. Only people who know kannada or tamizh or the other indian languages can get difference between say nIku and ninnu, both of which appear to be the same from my inadequate posting..

12. 133 pAhi - A sanskrit word which means protect (me)! conveys both the imperative and the supplicative moods.. (pAhi rAma rAma)

13. 129 Emi - what, enna, yEnu,kyA (Emi cEsitEnemi = ennattai paNNal enna = what is the point of doing anything?)

14. 128 rAja - From the Sanskrit, ThyAgarAja has used this word variously, in the sense of king (rAjaN being the root word) and in the sense of moon(RAja being the root word)
When used as a suffix for any animate noun it generally means king/leader - amara/sura-rAja, gaja-rAja khaga-rAja etc..

When it is used as a prefix to a word meaning face[raja-vadana,rAjamukha etc.] or used along with a word for sun and then eyes{ina-rAja-nayana = one with the sun and moon for his eyes} the word means moon..

15. 118 Adi - To play, dance, work, act, Adi,Adi, karkE??
An auxillary? verb, can have several versatile uses, depending on the other verb it is found with..
[(nAd)Adina mata = the words spoken then; mataladi = having spoken]

16. 114 anucu - ?,yenru, anta, ?? (rama rama yanuchu.. = rAma rama yenru)

17. 110 nE - I,nA(N), nAnu, maiN - an easy one at last.. (nE pogaDakunTe = If I don't praise you..)

18. 104 kAni - (conj. denoting an alternative.) But, either, or, except, unless. And not, nor,
Also gAni if preceded by other words..
(rama nIvE gani nannu raKShincEvArevarU = RAma, who else, but you will protect me..)

19. 102 ella - all/everything, ellAm, ella(vu), sab kuch - adj. usually follows a noun(jEsinadella = paNNadu ellam = all that you did)

20. 97 nEnu - I, naN, nAnu, main - see ne above.. the difference is only one of form [nE : na = nEnu : nAnu/nAn] ()nEnendu vedakudurA = where shall I search for you)

21. 93 Ela - why, yAen, yAkE, kyOn (Ela nI daya rAdU = why haven't you graced me?)

22. 92 lEdA - isn't it there..?, illiyA, illavA, nahin hai kyA..?
The interrogative form of ledu meaning isn't (t)here.. (AbhimAnamu lEdA..? = don't you have love/pride/affection)

23. 92 daya - a sanskrit word for compassion, which exists in all languages.. As usual the ending long A for feminine words is truncated in telugu, transmuted in kannada and tAmizh, and retained in hindi(daya = dayai = daye = dayA) (daya sEyavayya = Lord/oy!be compassionate !)

24. 90 ayya - an untranslatable form of address typical of south indian languages where it can be intoned variously- respectfully, to mean master/lord or father; or to indicate familiarity or even as a threat, to mean oy fellow!(ennayya! for example) See above illustration.. tyAgaraja has used the word in several of the connotations..
When he says MAyayya it means my/our lord/father..

There are some arguments about the word ayya being a prAkrit form of Arya, which entered the other languages, but then I digress..

25. 82 parama - A Sanskrit import meaning absolute/ supreme/superlative.. consider parama-Anandam = absolute happiness/ bliss

I request telugu knowing members to add value to my hopelessly amateurish attempts..
Last edited by keerthi on 23 May 2009, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

keerti, do u want the meaning of SrI Sabdham according to SrIviSNu purANA?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Sure, ksrimech

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

A good reference may be http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/brown/ which is from Brown's dictionary, considered to be the definitive work (actually the first..)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Keerti, Is this the right place for that or should I put it in the bhakti sections under the title mahAlakshmi tAyAr? There 6 definitions based on the words: SrIyatE, SrayatE, SruNOti, SrAvayati, SrUNAti and SrInAti. It might become a bit long and unnecessary for this thread.
Last edited by ksrimech on 23 May 2009, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Put it in the bhakti(or sahitya discussions) thread or as a new topic here under languages, and post a link here as well..

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

26. 81 manasA - O mind!, manamE, manassE/ manavE, E man!
vocative case of manasu, meaning mind [manasu = mind; manasA = O mind!] (manasA mana sAmarthyamEmi? = O mind, what are we capable of..?)

27. 81 andu - As a pronoun - There, in that place, ange, alli, vahAN..

as a suffix(The locative affix) in, within, on, x-il, x-nalli, x-me/pe/par..

(sakalbhUtamuayandu nIvai = you are immanent in all living things)

28. 79 vinuta - Sanskrit for worshipped by, vaNangapaduvavaN, namisalpaDuva see #6 nuta

the most common usage is probably tyAgarAja-vinuta = worshipped by tyAgarAja..

29. 77 ninu see #8 ninnu you,unai, ninna, tumhe/tujhe ( evarU rA ninu vina = who else, but you)
30. 77 kani - having seen, used in the sense of 'clearly/distinctly' (uData bhakti kani = noticing the devotion of the squirrel)
past participle of the verb kanu (= kannu = eye) = to see/perceive

31. 73 sura - A sanskrit word meaning god i.e, dEva = animiSa = divija (denizen of devaloka)
(sura -nAtha-mukhArchita = worshipped by the king of gods and others)

32. 73 lEka - As a conjunction or/else, tavara?l, horathu, ke binA/ke sivAy

32b. lEka - ( X lEka = in the absence of X) illAmal, illadE, ke bina
(guru lEka etuvanti - in the absence of a teacher)

33. 73 jUci - having seen, pArtthu,nODi, dEkh-kar (ahalyanu (The locative affix) in, within, on, upon jUci brOcina = he who looked at Ahalya and protected her)

73 bhava - A sanskrit word with multiple meanings :

1.Being, subsistence. Earthly or corporeal existence
2. sin, the sinful state, or mortality are subject to sin, the ills of human life
3.The world (bhava-sukham = earthly comforts)

Usage of bhava in the sense of 1,2, 3 is usually compounded with sagara or roga as bhava-sAgara = the ocean of earthly misery, or bhava-rOga = the disease of mundane existence..
Even when the suffix is absent, it is implied as in bhava-taraka = (O lord who) transports me across the ocean of earthly existence

4. lord Siva - bhava-nuta =(O lord)worshipped by siva
5. as a suffix, it means 'born of' e.g. kamala-sambhava = lotus born i.e. brahma

34a. 69 dhara - a sanskrit word meaning (up)holder/wielder/ supporter.
jala-dhara = ambu-dhara = cloud
kalA-dhara = moon
rAjadhara = (SaSi)kalA-dhara = siva [bearing the moon]
bhU-dhara = supporters of the earth = mountains
etc..

34b. also earth, the saskrit dhara, truncated to dhara, as the telugus are wont to do..
(dharanu nI sari daivamu = in/on this earth, (is there) a deity (like you..?))

chetana

Post by chetana »

keerthi wrote:the next instalment....

14. 128 rAja - From the Sanskrit, ThyAgarAja has used this word variously, in the sense of king (rAjaN being the root word) and in the sense of moon(RAja being the root word)
When used as a suffix for any animate noun it generally means king/leader - amara/sura-rAja, gaja-rAja khaga-rAja etc..

When it is used as a prefix to a word meaning face[raja-vadana,rAjamukha etc.] or used along with a word for sun and then eyes{ina-rAja-nayana = one with the sun and moon for his eyes} the word means moon..

** also royal. chakkani raja margamu --> right royal road

15. 118 Adi - To play, dance, work, act, Adi,Adi, karkE??
An auxillary? verb, can have several versatile uses, depending on the other verb it is found with..

**Adi --> first

16. 114 anucu - ?,yenru, anta, ?? (rama rama yanuchu.. = rAma rama yenru)

**saying

19. 102 ella - all/everything, ellAm, ella(vu), sab kuch - adj. usually follows a noun(jEsinadella = paNNadu ellam = all that you did)

** also limit usually used in plural, as in ellalu(limits/boundaries). cant think of an example.
Last edited by chetana on 26 May 2009, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

chetana

Post by chetana »

keerthi wrote:All the words aren't telugu, some are sanskrit..

6. 188 nuta - A sanskrit word meaning worshipped, vaNangappaTTa,namaskarisalpatta, ?
X-nuta means worshipped by X..

words with more or less the same meaning include nata, sannuta,pUjita,(kara)-archita, vandita.. pUjya,vandya convey the same meaning approximately..

***nuta is praised by.

chetana

Post by chetana »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Thanks very much isramesh. That is going to be of great use to a lot of rasikas and musicians.

I did a similar histogram on the entire sahitya of all the tyagaraja compositions from Sri. Govindan's database. Here are the top 500. The number to the left of the word is not a count from the compositions themselves but a count in in Sri. Govindan's document ( which includes commentary ) but the relative frequency should be close enough to the actual compositions. ( except the high runner thyagaraja is left out ). Several words appear in both lists, you can give the meaning of the new entires in the second table. Also, I did not do any manual review of the output of my script, so some english words may have snuck in there and other such anamolies.
Please note that in the transliteration scheme that Sri. Govindan uses, sri is written as zri etc.

1. I have omitted some sanskrit-based words as a lot of them are common to most languages and easily understood.

56 nIdu --> your. connotes a slightly a more respectful way of addressign ( nIdu charana pankajamule gatiyani)

61 nIvE--> you only nIvE dikkani, nIvE gatiyani

53 kara--> hand. varadAbhaya kara kamalE, zaraNAgata vatsalE

51 nija--> own. e.g.1. nija daasulu, 2. I vELa nA Aru zatrulanu nIvE pAradrOli, nija bhaktu chEsi

51 nAma --> named. zri rAma, tAraka nAma

50. vELa--> samayam (time+context+occasion). e.g. same I vELa e.g above

50 jana--> people

49 sadA--> always

49 mAm--> me ; mAm pAhi

48 pati--> lord and master.

46. hRt --> heart

46 enta--> how much e.g. enta nErcinA

46. arcita--> worshipped by

42 zayana--> one who sleeps. ksheera saagara sayana

42. mada--> one of the arishadvargas. arrogance, conceit, egocentricity. i have heard that kama, krodha, lobha are the three main vices. moha, mada and matsaryam are the heightened superlative forms of the first 3 . first set segues into the second if not kept in check.

41 ika --> henceforth, ikanaina elukorada

39. not sure about this at all. OR?

38 rIti--> manner.

38 pada--> feet,

38 pAvana--> sanctified, holy, exalted by piety

38 anucunu--> saying ( present continuous)

37 rAmuni--> rAmA's

37 muni--> sage. esp one who observes mounam (silence)

37 mukha--> face. rarely used for mouth as well

36 mari --> further.

again.

other than. mari vere dikkevarayya rama

36 lOka--> of the world. note: lokamu or lokam is world.

36 kanaka--> gold

36 kOTi--> crore

group, collection--> bhakta kOTi. anDakOTlu kukshinunchi

36 bAguga--> well

35 nAdu--> mine. has a more conciliatory tone.

34 sari --> equal. enough. I jagAna nIdu sari vElpulanu nEnendu gAnanammA.

34. lAli--> lullaby. lAli pAta is a lullaby. singing lAli is the act of putting a child to bed with song. the word itself is sometimes used in songs and in such cases is the equivalent of jo jo.

34. endu--> where

34 ari--> foe

33 paTTi--> beloved child. dasarathuni paTTi

having held (same as paTTukuni). nA pAtakamella pOgoTTi, gaTTiga nA cEyi paTTi, viDuvaka

33 nara--> human

33 janaka--> father. kandarpa janaka

32 vAru--> him (plural) or them . also used for her(plural) but infrequently.

32 teliya -->

32 sarva--> universal, all

32 dhana--> wealth. money.

31 rAdu--> wont come

31 phalamu--> fruit. nOmu phalamu

31. nAga--> related to snakes

31 manasuna--> in (one's) heart.

31 jUDa. it is actually cUDa. becomes jUDa when the word is preceded by a word ending in "n". e.g. nanun cUDa becomes nanu jUDa.

30 zara--> arrow. zara zara samaraika vIra

30 nitya--> daily. by extrapolation constant, eternal ( depending on context)

29 madini--> in (ones) mind . sometimes in ones heart.

29 ennALLu--> how many days

28 nata--> revered by

28 akSa--> eye

27 vadana--> faced. the word for face is vadanamu or vadanam. if the ending is truncated the word usually becomes hte possessive. gajavadana.

27 sAgara--> of the ocean

27 rAga--> affection. rAga dvEsham

26 tAraka--> one that helps you cross over. by extrapolation one that liberates. tAraka mantramu. mantra that helps one cross the ocean of samsara

27 oka--> one. single

27 bAga--> well. same as tamil nalla

27 kana

(not sure what this word means. might help to know the entire sentence)

26 tA--> same as tanu.

26 nIkE--> for you alone.

26 Apta --> dear

25 vinA--> without,other than amba janani, ninu vinA dikkevaramma

25 talli--> mother

25 rakSaka-- protector

25 pAlita--> that which is ruled by (or him that is ruled by)

25 adhipa--> lord

25 Emani--> what specifically? Emani pogaDudune Amani sobagula alamelmanga

24 nIraja--> lotus, nIraja nayana

24 mEnu--> body

23 osagi--> having given

23 munu--> before. same as munupu and sometimes mundu. mundu can also be used for positioning (of objects) in the spatial context. munu and munupu are usually temporal.

23 lOcana--> eyed. pankaja lOcana--> lotus eyed

23 jita--> (one who has ) conquered. jitakrOdha.

23 haraNa--> destruction, dissipation. kAla haraNa mEla ra

23 bangaru--> golden

23 ati--> excess

23 EmO--> perhaps, who knows!, (i ) dont know what

22 vale--> like

22 hita--> well wisher -- kamalAsana hita garuda gamana

22 giri--> mountain, giriraja suta tanaya

22 anti--> i have said.

having touched-->

21 undaga--> while existing, being

21 rA--> come

21 pa

**no idea what this word is

21 nEDU--> today

21 ennaTikO--> not sure when (entones despair)

21 avana

** never heard this word

21 vandita--> one who is revered by (literally one to whom namaskaram is done)

20 vEga--> quickly

20 vAri--> their (plural, or singular +excessively respecful)

also water . vArija is lotus

20 taramA--> is it within (one's )capacity? taramu means generation. by extension it probably means " could it be done in one's lifetime) nA taramA bhava sAgara mIdanu naLiNadalEkshana rAma

20 rahita--> devoid of

20 okate--> one girl.

20 nApai--> upon me

20 iGka--> furthermore

20 cEta--> done by (me)

20 anni- everything

19 sogasu--> beauty

will take this up again later.

chetana

Post by chetana »

19 parAku --> absentmindedness, inattentiveness

19 lOla--> one who revels in sAmagAna lOla

19 cAla--> a lot

19 Anana--> face(d)

18 vidhi--> fate
braham--> vidhIndra nutE

18 vairi--> foe zambharArai vairi sahodari

18 rAka--> arrival

18 pEru--> name

also a sequential arrangement as in a string (usually of gems) , pEru gala javarAli penDli kUturu, pedda pErula mutyAla meDa pendli kUturu

18 nIvani

18 nAtO--> with me

18 mAku--> for us

18 konnALLu- for some days

18 ina --> sun. inavamza tilaka

18 gAna--> related to singing

18 divya --> divine

18 amara--> godly, immortal

17 velayu-->

17 vAriki--> to thim

17 marmamu--> secret

17 kaNTe--> than

17 kUDi--> together, in concert

17 jAla --> cAla ( depending on the grammar of the phrase)

trickery-->

17 gala--> probably kala. having.

17 dUra--> distant

penetrating

17 dAri--> way, path

16 ilanu, ilalo--> in the world, on this earth

16 balamu--> strength

16 da-->

** whole sentence or phrase please

however,w hen used as a suffix, da means to give. varada, subhada etc.

16 aTu--> that way

16 aTTi--> such

16 anga--> limb

entire body

15 vEgame--> quickly, with haste

15 unna --> existing

15 tanDri --> father

15 sama--> equal,

15 sArasa--->

15 rAya--> king

15 nelakonna--> establisehd

15 mIra--> over-reaching, exceeding

15 kondari--> (pertaining to) some people

15 iDi--> having given

15 dorakunA--> will (i) ever find

15 daLa--> leaf . sarOja daLa nEtri, tulasi daLa

15 ETi--> related to Eru ( a flowing stream)

ETi--> why. srirAmula divya nAma smaraNa cEyuTe cAlu. ghOramaina tapamulanu kOranETikE manasA

15 Abha--> radiance, light

14 zata--> 100. zatakOti manmathAkAra

14 varamaina--> blessed

14 vEru--> different (from)

root ( of a tree)

14 vAridhi--> ocean

15 talaci--> having thought of, recollected

14 tALa--> to bear , vaga jUpaku, tALanu, nannElukOrA tALanu is cannot bear,

14 sukhambu--> same as sukhamu

14 santatamu-->always, constant

14 sadana--> resident( if prefixed with a qualifier, tyagarajahrt sadana), residence (in telugu, the noun usually ends in a mu or m. so residence would be sadanamu)

14 palumAru--> several times, over and over again

14 palka--> constricted form of paluka -- to say

14 pOdu--> wont go

14 manci--> good

14 kAna--> (noun) forest.

kAna--> related to seeing

14 indukA--> was it for this? ( word ending in deergham denotes a question albeit rhetorical)

14 ataDE--> it is him(emphasis- as in him alone)

14 aitE--> but

aitE--> occurs

13 unci--> kept, placed

13 tanuvu--> body

13 surulu--> gods

13 satatamu--> always satatamu mA bhadragiri swami rAmadAsudaina

13 rAjillu--> shine (less related to physical light and more to do with shining of one's prajna, fame etc.)

13 proddu--> morning . also poddu. depedingon the context it could meanf irst half of the day ( toli poddu) or latter half ( mali poddu). poddu pOyindi ( poddu has gone) means night has fallen

13 orula--> others

13 nirupama--> peerless, incomparable

13 nigama--> pertaining to the vedas

13 manavini--> related to appeal. manavi= appeal

13 mRdu--> soft, smooth

13 lEnu--> if preceded by an adverb, I am not there. nEnu akkada lEnu.

if preceded by subject alone, I dont exist. nEnu lEnu.

if preceded by an action, i cannot do it. cEya lEnu. tALa lEnu.

13 kala--> (noun) dream

(verb)--> same as kaligina, having. sugunamulu kala

13 erigi--> same as telisi. having known, being aware of

13 enci--> (verb) having selected

13 dhRta --> holding, karavidhrta kuvalaya, mada danuja vAraNa

13 dari--> river bank,

nearness. same as daggara

13 celimi--> friendship and by extension affection, attachment

13 aTla--> in that manner. same as aTula, aTlu,

12 zEkhara --> one that adorns themselves with rAjazEkhara, chandrasEkhara

12 vAramu--> we are .

if preceded by a subject, as in rAmuni vAramu, it means we belong to rAma. or we are part of rAma's entourage.

if preceded by a verb, as in pUja cEsina vAramu, it means we are the ones who performed the deed

12 tapamu--> same as tapas, penance

12 satta

** not sure what this word is. but sattA ( with a deergham) means capability.

12 sEya--> same as cEya, bhajana sEya vE

12 sAkSi-> witness

12 pAmara--> illiterate pAmarAsura bhIma. one that is ferocious to the demon of ignorance

12 pA

** ??

12 okaTi--> one, single

12 namma--> related to belief and faith ( of nammakam)

12 naga--> nagamu is a mountain. that which has no movement

12 nIru--> water

12 munulu--> muni plural

12 muccaTa--?

12 kuvalaya--> world, also lotus

12 kari--> elephant kariraja varada

12 kalgu--> same as kalugu

12 kAnta--> woman

12 jAli--> (noun) pitiful state. naguMomu ganalEni nA jAli telisi

feeling pity for someone. jAli cUpu. show mercy.

12 ibha--> elephant. ibhavaradAyaka

12 grakkuna--> immediately

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Thanks, Chetana.. Gosh! you are really fast..I was trundling along in instalments of tens and fifteens.. You will finish it in three posts!

Why should nuta mean praised by.. What is the root verb..? is is something to the effect 'praise'..?

As far as I know nuti = nati = namana thoufgh they arise from different root verbs..

vasanthakokilam

Chetana, keerthi: Fantastic. Good work.

Keerthi: Please continue with your input, relating multiple languages and usages etc. at your pace in parallel to Chetana.

Chetana, after you finish this list, I have the next 500 words ;) but I will wait for all this to sink in.

Thanks a lot.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
I was wondering. Since the sanskrit based words are more or less familiar to many which occur in their own languages, is it a good idea to go with just the telugu ones--verbs and adverbs in particular? Other words can be added on later? Just a thought...

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

arasi wrote:VK,
I was wondering. Since the sanskrit based words are more or less familiar to many which occur in their own languages, is it a good idea to go with just the telugu ones--verbs and adverbs in particular? Other words can be added on later? Just a thought...
I agree, we could make a separate list of sanskrit words, later if required..

Will shortly resume my notes on the word-list..

vasanthakokilam

Arasi, Keerthi: I also agree as long as the sanskrit word is a well known one and should be known to most speakers of other south indian languages. Just call it out and move on to other words. If we have questions on that, we will ask. Thanks.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

chetana wrote:
keerthi wrote:the next instalment....

. 118 Adi - To play, dance, work, act, Adi,Adi, karkE??

**Adi --> first

** also limit usually used in plural, as in ellalu(limits/boundaries). cant think of an example.
I acknowledge a mistake in the transliteration here.. in #18, it is all ADi, not Adi..

Adi does mean first, or primal or primordial..

I doubt if thyAgarAja has used ella in the sense of boundary.. I believe this form of the word exists in kannaDa/tamizh too. Elle/Ellai = boundary ella=ellA = ellAM = All

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

A reason to follow the transcription scheme - ADi - dance, Adi - primal...otherwise, mATal(u)ADi = spoken words - can become uninterprettable as mataladi, mAtaladi, mATalAdi etc etc etc....:P

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

36. 69 aina - a suffix used to give the meaning 'One who or which is or has become'
'Ana'(tam) 'Ada' (Kan) [AdhAramaina = One who is the support]

37. 68 manasu = Mind (Manassu/manassu/mann) ( manasu lOni marmamu = the innermost thoughts of my mind)

38. 67 rArA - A colloquial usAge of rA = come, vA!vA!, bArO, AO-AO.. (rA rA raghuvIrA = Come! O best scion of the raghus)

39. 67 Isha = a sanskrit word for lord/master

Usually used as the latter half of a compound.. (sura+Isha = surEsha = lord of suras/devas = indra(also shAchIsha); dinEsha = lord of the day = sun(also bhEsha); vAgIsha = lord of Vag[speech/sarasvati] = brahma; ramesha = srIsha = hari)

ThyAgaraja has also used the word independently, only to dovetail it into compounds in anupallavi and charanam..(Isha pAhi mAm in kalyani takes off as jagad-Isha and saptarshi-isha in subsequent parts of the song)

39. 64 mA - Our, nam(mudaya), namma, hamAra/hamArI (seetamma ma-(y)amma = seetamma is our mother)

40. 62 dEva - god. can contextually mean the supreme God (deva rAma rAma)More commonly, it refers to the gods who are citizens holding a green-card for amarika-puri (amarAvati)

Common synonyms are amara(immortal), sura(drinkers of surA wine), nirjara (un-ageing), animESHa (un-blinking), divija/divaukasa(denizen of swarga)..

41. 61 nIvE - emphAtic form of nI (see#1 above) you only/you alone/nIyE/nInE/tumhI
(nIvE rA kuladhanamu = It is you, that are my priceless heirloom )

42. 61 anu = hard-to-translate suffix meaning enru like anuchu/yanuchu/ani/yani

43. 60 nanu = nannu = me; see #8 above (nanu pAlimpa = to protect me)

44. 59 gati = Sanskrit word with a couple of meanings..
a. gathi = refuge/asylum/sanctuary (gathi nIvani namminAnu = I trust you to be my refuge)
b. gathi = salvation/mokSha (specially if used as sad-gati)
c. gathi = speed/motion; sadagati is a name for wind as it is ever moving..

45. 56 nIdu = Your,unn(udaya), ninna, tumhAra (nIdu caraNamulE = your feet alone)

46. 55 jaya = Sanskrit word for victor/victory. Also used a proclamation of victory.. ThyAgarAja has mostly used the word in the latter sense.. (jaya mangalam etc..)

47. 53 kara = Sanskrit word with many meanings
a. Doer, causer, creator (srIkara = causer of prosperity)

b. hand,ray, beam (karamuna sara-kOdanDa. = arrows and bow in your hand(s))

48. 53 evaru/yavaru = Who, yAr,yAru, kauN (evaru manaku samAnam = who is equal to us)

49. 53 bhakta = Sanskrit for devotee, votary, pattan/tondan?.. it is the same in other languages..

vasanthakokilam

keerthi: Thanks for the explanation around gathi as speed or motion and hence the word for wind is sadagathi. Of course, that is the meaning of gathi as used in CM layam. naDai, as an equivalent word, is in the same league representing a type of motion. It makes sense.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Sure,

another meaning of gati, your post reminded me of is gait (an anagram of gati!)
Hamsa-gati or gaja-gati mean someone with the graceful stride of a swan or an elephant..

This translation of gati (gait) is more appropriate for the layam usage synonymous with nadai..

vasanthakokilam

Yes, gait is even more appropriate. The interesting thing is, both the style of movement ( aesthetics ) as well as the perceived speed of movement ( aesthetics and technical ) are meant in the layam sense. The perceived speed is just a perception and not real speed of anything. It is like you have a yard to cover in 5 seconds and that can be done in 3 steps, 4 steps, 8 steps or 12 steps. The more the steps, the busier/speedier one looks but in reality you still cover only 1 yard in that 5 seconds.

All this leads me to ask, given those many meanings of gathi, what is the root word from which this comes from and is there a method/unifying concept to these different meanings?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

the root verb is 'gam' meaning 'to go' it is conjugated as gacchati, gacchasi, gacchAmi = he/she goes, you go, I go..

Other forms of the verb include the nouns gamana = departure, gati which has that host of meanings..
It may be possible to bring about a relationship between the word and the meanings, but I am not sure how much of it would be conceived, and how much perceived..

As you observed, the meaning of gati is strictly movement.. change in gait creates an illusion of change in speed, but is a mere re-distribution of rhythmic units..

We know that to traverse a given distance (in say, the same time) depending on the length/structure of feet and other factors unique to each creature, a snake, a tiger, an elephant and a swan would each employ a different stride, a different gait.. While the rhythm dynamics of each gait is different, the distance traversed per unit time remains the same, doesn't it..?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

VK, probably it is 'gam gaccha' to go.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Punarvasu and Keerthi. Yes, the gathi and naDai all point to motion and so the root of 'to go' makes perfect sense. The beauty of sanskrit is to take such a word and transform it slightly to denote abstract concepts like 'Gait' and illusions of speed. Since you brought up wind, wind is also an illusion ( it by itself does not exist, it is an emergent property, a perception ) so sadgathi is just the right description for it.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

The word 'gati' in tamizh also means refuge or a place to surrender as in
nIyE gati Iswari'
'EdayyA gati' etc.; there is word in tamizh 'pOkkiDam'.
gati also means 'plight' in certain usages.
But for everything the origin is the same.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

chetana wrote:I have omitted some sanskrit-based words as a lot of them are common to most languages and easily understood.
These are also sanskrit based:

53 kara--> hand. varadAbhaya kara kamalE, zaraNAgata vatsalE

51 nija--> own. e.g.1. nija daasulu, 2. I vELa nA Aru zatrulanu nIvE pAradrOli, nija bhaktu chEsi

51 nAma --> named. zri rAma, tAraka nAma

50 jana--> people

49 sadA--> always

49 mAm--> me ; mAm pAhi

48 pati--> lord and master.

46. hRt --> heart

46. arcita--> worshipped by

42 zayana--> one who sleeps. ksheera saagara sayana

42. mada--> one of the arishadvargas. arrogance, conceit, egocentricity. i have heard that kama, krodha, lobha are the three main vices. moha, mada and matsaryam are the heightened superlative forms of the first 3 . first set segues into the second if not kept in check.

38 rIti--> manner.

38 pada--> feet,

38 pAvana--> sanctified, holy, exalted by piety

37 muni--> sage. esp one who observes mounam (silence)

37 mukha--> face. rarely used for mouth as well

36 lOka--> of the world. note: lokamu or lokam is world.

36 kanaka--> gold

36 kOTi--> crore

34. lAli--> lullaby. lAli pAta is a lullaby. singing lAli is the act of putting a child to bed with song. the word itself is sometimes used in songs and in such cases is the equivalent of jo jo.

34 ari--> foe

33 nara--> human

33 janaka--> father. kandarpa janaka

32 sarva--> universal, all

32 dhana--> wealth. money.

31 phalamu--> fruit. nOmu phalamu

31. nAga--> related to snakes

31 manasuna--> in (one's) heart.

30 zara--> arrow. zara zara samaraika vIra

30 nitya--> daily. by extrapolation constant, eternal ( depending on context)

28 nata--> revered by

28 akSa--> eye

27 vadana--> faced. the word for face is vadanamu or vadanam. if the ending is truncated the word usually becomes hte possessive. gajavadana.

27 sAgara--> of the ocean

27 rAga--> affection. rAga dvEsham

26 tAraka--> one that helps you cross over. by extrapolation one that liberates. tAraka mantramu. mantra that helps one cross the ocean of samsara

25 rakSaka-- protector

25 pAlita--> that which is ruled by (or him that is ruled by)

25 adhipa--> lord

24 nIraja--> lotus, nIraja nayana

23 lOcana--> eyed. pankaja lOcana--> lotus eyed

23 jita--> (one who has ) conquered. jitakrOdha.

23 haraNa--> destruction, dissipation. kAla haraNa mEla ra

23 ati--> excess

22 hita--> well wisher -- kamalAsana hita garuda gamana

22 giri--> mountain, giriraja suta tanaya

21 vandita--> one who is revered by (literally one to whom namaskaram is done)

20 rahita--> devoid of

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

keerthi wrote:the root verb is 'gam' meaning 'to go' it is conjugated as gacchati, gacchasi, gacchAmi = he/she goes, you go, I go..
AFAIK gam- is not conjugated as gacchati (but as gamati)

Isn't gach- a different root from gam- (although both have the same meaning)?