Purpose of this section

Suggestions for the wiki
srkris
Site Admin

Purpose of this section

Post by srkris »

I am trying to develop the wiki (http://rasikas.org/wiki) first to hold sahitya, and then other content.

Although a wiki is supposed to be collaborative, I'm not enabling collaborative editing for the moment, since it quickly becomes difficult to monitor what text gets updated by whom. More planning needs to go into how to develop it before everyone can start editing it.

If there are any suggestions for inputting the sahitya, this is the section to create threads to suggest them.

keerthi

Re: Purpose of this section

Post by keerthi »

Very worthy project.

One thing that can be represented well in a wiki format, is the presence of pAThantaras in the text. If there are two or three variants available in the sahitya, they can all be overlaid in one entry. Unlike the critical apparatus published for books, where variants are listed as copious footnotes, each referring to a different manuscript or source; here the variant readings of the text can easily be layered/hyperlinked into one text; as well as giving each of the source versions as separate layer.

In some cases, textual references are available, and in some, the oral tradition is traceable for a particular version o a composition; and these can be included in the annotation / references.

in many compositions, rasikas members have engaged in some edition/ correction of the lyrics at their discretion, to correct an illegible word, or to explain a phrase that doesn't make sense. It is useful to record such variants, along with the reasons given by the person for changing / emending the lyric.

I have a question too. How could we incorporate/integrate / give links to the transliteration of sAhityam already done on a huge scale by Lakshman,by P.P.Narayanaswami and Vidya Jayaraman, V.Govindan/Govindaswami and Ramacandra Murthy Sistla covering a significant span of composers; with these peoples' permissions?

We could take up specific smaller, doable projects that will eventually grow into bigger ones - like say, all the kSEtrayya padams currently in vogue, as opposed to ALL the kSEtrayya padams found in books and so on.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks Keerthi for your suggestions.

1. Yes, patantaras can be captured.
2. Rasikas explanations for particular words can be hyperlinked to the forum as required.
3. This wiki relies on Sri Lakshman's database of compositions only. So the entire lot of compositions is from him, he is the one who has suggested this wiki for kritis. It can be expanded to include other sources with their permission.
4. Yes I'm planning to go composer by composer, started with Dikshitar.
5. Others are welcome to register on the wiki and contribute further data. I'm opening the registrations for the wiki today.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Dikshitar's compositions are all in the wiki.

Compare these two formats, and suggest which one is better...
- http://rasikas.org/wiki/Abhayamba_jagadamba_rakshatu
- http://rasikas.org/wiki/Abhayamba_nayaka_harisayaka

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

The second one is a bit uncluttered and easy on the eyes.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

The latter is definitely less cluttered, but doesn't indicate the madhyamakala sahityam. Also while the first has been arranged in accord with the adi- and anta- prAsa structure, and each line of the text represents one 'line' of the song; the same isn't true for AbhayAmbA nAyaka harisAyaka.

The caranam should go -

nAgalinga... Aspada
Agamadi... yutapada
bhOga... sankara
tyAgarAja... sudhAkara.

This is important not just for visual appeal, but also to have a correct presentation of the song's structure.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Keerthi, quite right.

What made the 2nd format easy on the eyes is the first line of each section starts on a new line and with a blank line between the heading and the text.

srkris can apply that format to the first one, if the first one is organized better in terms of the song structure.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Keerthi & VK - thanks, will do the corrections to the structure & insert the madhyamakala references.

You can now create your own account on the wiki if you are interested in directly editing it - http://rasikas.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount

I prefer the format in Abhayamba Jagadamba since it is in the form of a table, and it separates the information about the song (such as pallavi, anupallavi, charanam markers and "madhyamakala" or other notes from the body of the sahitya itself, and places them in separate columns.

Earlier it looked like this - http://rasikas.org/mw/index.php?title=A ... &oldid=725
Although this was seemingly hard to read, the common "textual" readability of a sahitya in my opinion is less important than the way it is supposed to be rendered. This version showed the long vowels in a bigger font, the aspirated (kha, cha, tha, bha etc) & retroflex (ṣ, ṇ,ṭ etc) consonants and heavier sibilants in bold -- the reason being that as native speakers of dravidian languages (specifically Tamil) these phonemes are the first casualties of carnatic musicians. Feel free to suggest alternatives though that would address this problem yet make it more readable.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Syama Sastri's kritis are all in the wiki now.

Next comes Tyagaraja.

RSR

Post by RSR »

humble request.
------------------
The Sahithyam should be given in Devanagari script also. besides English transliteration .
Additionally, the kruthi should be given in the script of the language of the song.
For example, if you are giving Dhikshithar kruthi, ' Maaye', you must give a sanskrit version.
For Purandharadasa kruthis, I would appreciate a) kannada lipi version b) devanagari version c) english transcription

If we consider the vast and mind-bogging number of songs , it would be better to limit ourselves to about a dozen famous singers and the keerthans sung by them only. It is not necessary to cover all the kruthis. ..
Just a few days back, I visited sangeethapriya and browsed all the thyagaraja kruthis ( about 700) there. Was pleasantly surprised to note that Thyagaraja sang only one song in 'SuddhaSeemanthiuni ragam ...of my favourite song by D.K.Pattammal, besides rendering by Nagaswaram stalwarts Rajarathnam Pillai and Chinna Molana Sahib! ,
In such cases, if there are kruthis in the same ragam by Shyama Sasthri and Dhikshithar, they can be mentioned. provided any artiste of the golden period ( 1930-1960) had sung them

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is a song list in shuddhasImantini.:

Are re dasharatha (lng)-Triputa-Govindacharya
Ati kopama-Adi-Muttusvami Kavi
Ayam vandeham-Chapu-Bangalore S.Mukund
Deva deva maheshvara bhavayami (tv)-Adi-Pattamadai Krishna Iyer
Duhkha mayamuga jaga-Adi-Sriramachandra Murti Sistla
Enda velaiyum kanda velaiye (tv)-Adi-K.Muttukumarasvami Varagur
Janaki ramana bhakta parijata pahi sakala loka-Adi-Tyagaraja
Jaya jaya bhasmoddhalita vigraha jaya jaya shri-Adi-Muttiah Bhagavatar
Mahadeva paramashiva mayilapurikkiraiva shri-Adi-Papanasham Shivan
Mohana suruchira rupa-Adi-Rallapalli Anantakrishna Sharma
Mudam dehi devi sharade-?-Bangalore S.Mukund
Mukhana suruchera-Adi-Anantakrishna Sharma
Nenje kalpaka annai irukka kavalai en ni-Adi-Papanasham Shivan
Shirappu inum shelvamum inum (tv)-Adi-Tiruvalluvar (VSG)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Soniajain: Did not understand what you meant by your post. Please elaborate. Thanks.

RSR

Post by RSR »

#10-> just an example of what a page could be...
https://sites.google.com/site/dkpattamm ... -guru-guha
some images, kruthi in English transliterartion , but always with the lyrics in the original language of the kruthi. and ofcourse links to mp3 . (even many ) In the example shown, the lyrics are shown in sanskrit.

Sri.V.Govindan follows the pattern meticulously. in his great blog Thyagaraja vaibavam. (there are some famous thyagaraja kruthis in sanskrit but it is not mentioned in the otherwise absolutely wonderful blog of great labour and devotion to the task). I borrow freely from his site (with due ack) and use them. ( Kindly dont get angry with me . but the present scheme of transliteration leaves much to be desired. I send the song as mp3 in thamizh, ask a few of my acquaintances to listen to them and send the thamizh song version. Even experienced people have difficulty with literary pieces. Much more so, if I give them the english-transliteration. I am afraid that within three decades, the original lyrics will be lost for ever unless we give the original language lyrics along with english-transliteration. This is an old issue raised by me a few months back. We should not rely on automated english to vernacular reverse transliteration. See, how even google transliterator which comes with gmail, has difficulty in correct conversion of what we type in english.
Kindly let me know if there is a perfect english-to-thamizh / telugu/ kannada reverse tranliteration engine.

May I suggest to change the color of 'like' icon from 'red' to more pleasing 'green'?

------------------------------------------
During the last two years of my access to rasikas, I have read many posts from the moderators, admin, sachi, v.govindan,srinath, , sankar, savithri madam, chellappa , sureshvv and MKR Sir , I suggexst that we create a new section in critics and rasikas. but unlike what exists now, we can have an additional section titled ' 'rasika-self-introduction' It should be editable. but only one post per author of the post about oneself. ( not about others). They can mention the main profession, academic details, age, whether a performing artiste, of diaspora or in tamilnad , preferences and interests outside carnatic music , and such . Not obligatory but optional to the members. Thank you..

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The comments text box in dinamalar or dinamani seems to do a good job! ;)