Keyboard buying guide for Carnatic Music (Budget 35K)

To teach and learn Indian classical music
kesavanvasudev

Keyboard buying guide for Carnatic Music (Budget 35K)

Post by kesavanvasudev »

Hi Friends,

I am looking out for keyboards that are best suited for playing Carnatic music (with Pitch Bend and Mod wheels).

My budget is limited to 35k and would like to receive some suggestions.

Thanks

melam72

Re: Keyboard buying guide for Carnatic Music (Budget 35K)

Post by melam72 »

Firstly, you don't need a pitch bender or a mod wheel to play Karnatak music on the keyboard. You just need to keep your ears peeled.

Nearly every single gamakam and jaaru, can be replicated without a pitch bender if you are willing to be patient and analyse every single sangathi in depth, and understand it.

This approach will help you not only in Keyboard playing, but in singing nuanced vocal music, and avoiding the jarring nature of the kampitam caused by a pitch bend, not to mention save the inordinate expenses incurred.

But, if your guru insists on pitch bends and mod wheels, I suggest the Yamaha I-series. IIRC, they cost about 20k, and are very durable; my best friend's Yamaha is working perfectly even after 10 years of purchase.

kesavanvasudev

Re: Keyboard buying guide for Carnatic Music (Budget 35K)

Post by kesavanvasudev »

@melam72 . Thanks very much for the info and suggestion. I am just a beginner learning to play ragas in harmonium and computer software (self taught) ..so wanted to explore some good keyboards.. a very thoughtful suggestion indeed! -/\-