Create Carnatic Music notations online with this new sofware

To teach and learn Indian classical music
arunk

Re: Create Carnatic Music notations online with this new sof

Post by arunk »

You dont have to download anything. It is a "web application" and so is intended to be used/run via your browser itself while connected to the internet. You can simply visit http://arunk.freepgs.com/cmnt/newsong.html and start entering the notations, and use your browser's print facility to print. To create PDF files, you can install onf of the many free PDF print drivers (e.g. primopdf).

Arun

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

Suggestions/Feature Requests:
  • Code Comments
  • Smarter Lyrics-Sync: don't count the commas
With Comments we can include author, date, Name of the software (arun's carnatic notation typesetter!) in the code, which need not be rendered in the output. This comes extremely handy when sharing the notation source with others. (plain text files right? people may not know what to do with that).

Code: Select all

% Written for Arun's Carnatic Notation Typesetter v 1.4 
% see [link]
% Ananth, Mar 07, 2011
Lyrics-Sync
Calculating and putting underscores is the only time taking element when scoring with this software. At present, we have to put an underline for every note the phrase spans including the commas (,) and semi-colons (;). A new syllable doesn't commence on a comma/semi-colon in swara part. So, if we don't have to put an underline in Lyrics part for those commas, it's much easier to count the actual swaras and align the lyrics accordingly.

Code: Select all

g , r , s , ; n` s r g r r s n` 
Ja la ja ksha _ _ _ ni _ _ _

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks for the suggestions. Both look like good ideas. Give me some time to implement this. A while ago, I was actually toying with an even "smarter" lyrics scheme where you could type in jalajAksha (i.e. no spaces in-between) and it would try to intelligently split (additional matras done with dots as in ko...ri... ) but I think that can be unreliable. Your suggestion is a more reliable one - although it may be more verbose.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

Sorry it took so long.

But finally I have a beta version which has an easy way of implementing lyrics as indicated above.

You can also enter comments (lines starting with # are considered comments) although I now realize that I forgot to mention it in the manual for this beta version.

There are also a few other enhancements. Among them:

- support for english/roman diacritics as a "language"
- also some enhancements to "manual mode" - in particular a mode, where-in the tala markers are shown above the notation (as opposed to in the same line as swara). This has an advantage of generating notations such that the musical phrasings are grouped together in a more intuitive way such that one can have a better idea of the underlying melody.

For example, instead of usual notation format as below for one of the charanams for jagadAnandakAraka (which allows for attractive looking notation, properly aligned but one in which the musical phrasings that make up the melody is obvious):

one could generate the following

Here the tala markers (including outer-beat) are indicated but there is no alignment at tala boundaries. The grouping of the individual musical phrases take precedence.

You can use the latest version at: http://arunk.freepgs.com/wordpress/cm-t ... e-v15beta/

Thanks
Arun

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

I have just started using this notation system, its actually very intuitive. I quickly browsed through the manual and got started and it worked just fine.

Had some questions ...

I wanted to define the krti details at the top such as raga, scale, composer etc. I am using the 'Heading' directive currently for all these things. But I wanted to find out how to add space or tabs within the heading.

Example : Heading: " Raga: Nata Tala: Khanda Chapu"

If I do this, the spaces are not taken into account

Also, when I want to use subscripts for defining scale as in S R3 G3 .. etc its not possible.

Would appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

I am using the latest Beta version. I have tried on various browsers and on Mac and Windows and have the same problem. When I save as pdf , the dots are missing for tara stayi , mandra stayi etc.

Is this is a known issue? Thanks.

Sowmya

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks. Spaces to do alignment is not supported.

For subscripts in heading you can enclose them in ~ (tilde). For example

Heading: "S R~2~ G~3~ M~1~ P"

These special markers like ~ are (as noted in the manual) based on Wiky - you can check out http://goessner.net/articles/wiky/ for info.

Regarding the problem with stayi dots not appearing in PDF, please ensure that your browser print settings are set to print background images and colors. How to set this differs from browser to browser.

Thanks
Arun

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

Thanks Mr Arun. The stayi problem is solved. I will look into the subscripts and let you know.

Sowmya

tanyaroy

Post by tanyaroy »

That's a really nice move and esp you've kept it free.. :)

sarojaraman

Re: Create Carnatic Music notations online with this new sofware

Post by sarojaraman »

Arunk

Well done . It will be useful to many teachers ,students and also others. How to get this format. Pl guide me.

jayakrishnam

Re: Create Carnatic Music notations online with this new sofware

Post by jayakrishnam »

Hi Arun,
I purchased your app- Swarasthana. I found it very helpful to improve my swaraznana. But unfortunately, it stopped working saying it’s not available in your region. I live in Al, US. But my friends are still able to use it. Would appreciate your help to reinstall the app
Thank you
Jayakrishna