Lalgudi Jayaraman Passed away

Remembering musicians of the recent past
cmlover

Re: Lalgudi Jayaraman Just Passed away

Post by cmlover »

A shoking news. Condolence to his Family on behalf of all CM lovers.
He however lives eternally in our memory..

arunsri

Lalgudi Jayaraman no more

Post by arunsri »

The legendary vidwan passed away on Monday. (source ndtv, 2 hrs ago). May his soul rest in peace.

Silken play, clinical perfect execution, computer level manodharma (as SSI called him apparently), and of course very aesthetic poruttam swara prasthAra... one can go on. This samsAra does not deserve such people any more anyway.

Arun

Suryaprakash

Post by Suryaprakash »

The shocking news came from the wife of Shri.MAS, who sitting in the first row of our concert at Vidwat Samajam today. Shri.MAS, my violinist of the day made a short announcement and we all observed 2 minute silence. We were in tears when we thought of the greatest void in the Music World today that is never going to be filled. I finished the concert with Ennaga manasuku and Nadupai, dedicated to the soul of the Master. My heart goes out to Shri.GJR and Smt.Vijayalakshmi.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

GNB_LGJ_PR

Post by GNB_LGJ_PR »

We have lost the Dhruva Nakshatra of Carnatic Music today - A vacuum that can never be filled!

My heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

Does anyone have the COMPLETE list of Lalgudi's compositions? All his varnams/ thillanas etc

pls post them so we all can know

Rangadu

Post by Rangadu »

The Madras Music Academy must feel ashamed for denying him the Sangita Kalanidhi award......now they can go and eat it themselves.....

such cheap and dirty politics and how they affect innocent and genuine artistes...!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Condolenses to the family. A great loss to the Carnatic Music Family. May his soul rest in Peace.
Thanjavooran
23 04 2013

alpajnani

Post by alpajnani »

The person who was, for me, THE definition of carnatic classical music is no more. I take solace in realizing that I was at least fortunate enough to have lived during his times and for the few opportunities I have had to listen to him live.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Heartfelt condolences to the family, disciples and close friends. Indeed a great loss to CM.

maduraimini

Re: Lalgudi Jayaraman no more

Post by maduraimini »

Very sorry to hear this news. He was a wonderful artist and belonged to the old school of music. I have heard him many times and loved his music. He has trained many sishyas including his two children who play very well. Sympathies to family and friends as well as the millions of fans all over the world.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Still coming to terms with the fact that this man along with this brain and hands will be cremated soon. What a man... What a brain... What fingers... Let it be the response to DKJ's Natabhairavi with the same bhavam, or the response to the Brothers' Sankeerna Nadai pallavi with the same majesty, or the response to Semmangudi's sarva laghu swarams for Pankaja lochana..... Once in every era, a man will be born, to prove that God exists, simply by making others feel that God has touched him to be so special. The greatest accompanist, arguably the best soloist and the finest contemporary classical music composer has perished.

The loyal following of GNB's meticulous sanghathis, the playful and competent responses to Madurai Mani Iyer's swarams, the almost unbelievable responses to Brothers, the shadow-like capture of both the bhavam as well as the podi sangathis while accompanying Ramnad Krishnan, the thunderous responses to TNS and Somu, the multi avarthanam neravals along with KVN, the brilliant company to DKJ's keerthanams, the gelling along with MDR's kalapranam and his style, the mentoring role at the Veena Venu Violin trio, the performances at Edinburgh, Moscow, Krishna Gana Sabha, Mylapore fine arts etc., the thillanas, the varnams, the lec-dems at Krishna Gana Sabha, the tyagaraja, Dikshitar, Syama Sastri, Purandaradasar, Subbaraya Sastri, Swathi Tirunal, Papanasam Sivan, Kshetragnya, Annamacharya, Narayana theertha etc. repertoire, the music direction for Sringaram.

If I had achieved or mastered any one of the above, I would consider myself a special talent. To achieve all this, is nothing but God's grace. The blessing of Saptharishi and Mahitha pravruddha Srimathi.

Mr. Lalgudi G Jayaraman - You will be missed sorely. Oh wait... here I am listening to you play Muddumomu with Palghat Mani Iyer. Yes. You will be missed. But your music will live long, as long as carnatic music exists. May you rest in peace.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Really saddened to hear this. His contribution to Carnatic Music is immeasurable. One just has to pick any random alapana or swara prasathara to understand his greatness. I have got goosebumps many a time listening to his playing (his accompaniment to MMI in that Music Academy concert should be treasured for ages. The magic he adds in the Kalinil Chilambu neraval and his sublime response in the Kamboji RTP bring me goosebumps usually and today it just brings me tears). May his soul rest in peace.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

A great loss to CM. Heartfelt condolences to family, friends and the rasikas.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

It seems hard to believe and accept this news. Heartfelt condolences to his family, disciples and admirers who will all miss him deeply.

vidya raja

Post by vidya raja »

I am so saddened by this great loss. His music lives on .

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Another Sahabhtham has ended. A few months ago the mastereo MSG now now great Lalgudi! How can this world with stand this unbelievable shocks! I pray to the Almighty for this great soul and my heartfelt condolences to Krishnan, Viji and the entire family. Regards

cienu

Post by cienu »

A truly irreparable loss to the music world ! What a genius !
I would like to mention what the legend had stated in an interview a few years back : http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/fr/2003/0 ... 070400.htm
Quote:``The limitations of age tell on me but I am not able to control my creativity. I am nothing without music. Even in all my future births, I want to be born only as a musician. Music has not only been my livelihood but also my path to spirituality." Unquote

mohan

Post by mohan »

An incredible loss to the world of music! To me he was a musician par excellence, an allrounder who was brilliant in all facets of musicianship - rhythm, melody, solo play, accompaniment, composition.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

"na bhUto na bhaviShyati" :: Never before & never again.. Still struggling to come to terms with this news... RIP mama. Thanks for all the heavenly music over the decades...

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

very sad news. heartfelt condolences to the members of his family

rajeshnat

Re: Lalgudi Jayaraman Passed away

Post by rajeshnat »

Extremely sad news of hearing that one of my favourite violinist is not going to be with us anymore. 20 years back when one of my relatives coerced me to listen to his violin , i heard him once and just got hooked with his music for ever . His touches or rather divine touches in nadaloludai , nattaikurinji pallavi, mohanam , enta muddO etc is just ringing in my ears . What a composer he was , the charukesi varnam the countless thillanas each etched with the carnatic aestheticness which was not bought up by any of the previous composers . How can one forget his brilliant returns especially for the greats like mmi,ssi ,gnb etc .

Lalgudi Jayaraman brought so much of classicism , we will miss him .Hope his son/daughter and his sishya paramparas continue with his legacy of his sowkhyam and musical intellect.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 23 Apr 2013, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear friends,

In case Podigai has scheduled any program on Sri Lalgudi,I request you to post the schedule on this forum.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Deeply saddened. We are all indebted to him for serving us with divine music for so many decades.
I bow with respectful pranams to the noble soul.

ajit

Post by ajit »

A very sad news. Condolences to his family and disciples. His music will be there forever.

ajit

KMH

Re: Lalgudi Jayaraman Passes away

Post by KMH »

When I reached home, I wanted to describe to my wife about the hindolam piece by GNB-Lalgudi I had enjoyed in the privacy of my car. I wanted to describe the most exquisite korvais by what must have been a Lalgudi in his twenties, talk about the ultimate understanding between the vocalist and violinist. About many other blissful things from that concert. But my wife stopped me short at the door with "Lalgudi is no more". I couldn't have been winded more by a Tyson punch in the solar plexus. How cruel can Fate get?

sreecons

Post by sreecons »

Heartfelt condolences to the family. We are fortunate that the greatness of Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman sir's music will live forever through the legacy he leaves behind.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Santhanam

Lalgudi is not gone,

Post by Santhanam »

THE VIOLIN WILL NOT STOP SINGING-
THE VIOLIN WILL NEVER LOSE ITS VOICE.
THE LEGEND IS NOT GONE.
HE WILL NEVER LEAVE US.

Its not over. It will not be over.
Lalgudi Sir will continue to live forever
a) In our hearts
b) In his compositions
c) In every aspect of music
d) Through his recordings

Every swara, anuswara, every akshara of each thala, each syllable of each sahithya, each gamaka in each raga owes its gratitude to the legend of all times-LALGUDI G. JAYARAMAN. He is all in one and one and the only.
He is Purandaradasa as a Guru and a sangeetha Pithamaha
He is Thyagaraja Swami in reflecting the rakthi of the raga
He is Dikshithar in intellect and acumen
He is Syama sastri in emotional introspection
He is Gopalakrishna Bharathi in his non- discrimination as regards caste and creed
He is Papanasam Sivan in bringing out the beauty of the tamil compositions
He is Sadasiva Brahmam in wisdom and viveka.
He is Jayadeva in aesthetic sensitivity
He is Surdas and Meera in flowing melody.

Mahathmas are never gone. They continue to live and bless us.
Sir, You have not left us and you cannot do so. We know your love for us and your love for music. You are here, right with us—ever smiling at us lovingly with your trademark blushing smile.
We love you so much.
Vishakha Hariji