Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Remembering musicians of the recent past
arasi

Re: Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Post by arasi »

CML,
We are all remembering Lalgudi fondly and are listening to his musical ambrosia. MKR too will view him through rose-colored glasses without doubt...

MKR,
With all that occupies you now, rest a bit and when you find a little time, write down your memories. Hold on to them until you have three or four segments and then post them together.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I have had the privilege of listening to Sri Lalgudi on the violin for some great Vidwans at the Trivandrum Navaratri Mandapam concerts during 1965-1985 and to me that was the golden period of 'my Lalgudi music'. To be very frank, I admired him more as an accompanist. His own as well supportive roles alternated during the concerts and what marvelous music was that! He was the permanent support for Alathur Srinivasa Iyer at the Mandapam. Palght Mani Iyer was on Mridanga on most occasions. And how they enriched the scholarly music of Alathur! Their association for the Vidwan's niraval and swara prastaara @ Kamaneeyatamaroopey Kanyaakubjavaasini for the Naatakurinji song 'Paahi Janani' was mesmeric and this is just an example.

Lalgudi/PMI support for Palghat KVN's rendering of Sumasaayaka were real treats!

Old timers of Trivandrum used to remember Lalgudi's accompaniment for Musiri's 'Smarahari paadaaravindam' (Saama) at the mandapam. (This gem of a Swati tirunal kriti seems to be largely neglected !!). Surprisingly, while reporting the news of the demise of Lalgudi in their 'MAANILA SEIDIGAL' (Regional news), AIR Chennai aired a 20 second excerpt of his playing this song!!I was just moved. Will AIR broadcast the full compliment of this recording?

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lalgudi nectar drops in parts 1 to 5 - where his disciples share about LGJ(swati sanskriti)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItQsjMnq4PY

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

rajeshnat wrote:Lalgudi nectar drops in parts 1 to 5 - where his disciples share about LGJ(swati sanskriti)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItQsjMnq4PY
Part -6 is also there. Please see Post#148.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Has sri Lalgudi accompanied Flute Mali? I have never come across any recordings of Mali with either LGJ or MSG.

cacm

Post by cacm »

matterwaves wrote:Has sri Lalgudi accompanied Flute Mali? I have never come across any recordings of Mali with either LGJ or MSG.
YES. BOTH LGJ& MSG HAVE ACCOMPANIED MALI. VKV

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Today's Hindu carries Bombay Jayashri's reminiscences of Lalgudi Sir.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 835303.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Beautiful!!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

http://www.tapasstheertham.com is a new website on the music of Lalgudi sir.

Mrs. Lakshmi devnath has authored a book called "An Incurable Romantic" - a work on the life of Sri Lalgudi G Jayaraman.
I request interested rasikas to place order in the above website.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Pasupathy wrote: . . . // . . .
The next year or so ( 96?) GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi gave a concert at Toronto. The concluding piece was a Thiruppugazh ( I think it was 'ERu mayilERi") in
the raga 'Jaideep'. Krishnan explained the raga; but now I don't remember it. I remember talking to him afterwards and he explained that the new raga's name was a tribute to his father ; hence the 'Jai' in the name.

Does anyone know the ArOhaNa and AvarohaNa of this raga and is there a recording of this Thiruppugazh available?
I wrote to Sri Lalgudi G J R Krishnan about this and he was kind enough to clarify :

Jaideep ( Vakulabaranam Janya)
The arohana SMPNS
Avarohanam SNDMPGS

My sincere thanks to Sri GJR Krishnan .

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Pasupathy wrote:
I wrote to Sri Lalgudi G J R Krishnan about this and he was kind enough to clarify :

Jaideep ( Vakulabaranam Janya)
The arohana SMPNS
Avarohanam SNDMPGS

My sincere thanks to Sri GJR Krishnan .
Thanks Prof. Pasupathy. I was curious about this too. I am glad you were able to clarify.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From The Hindu (posted by Smt. Lata Ganapathy Ravikiran in FB):
http://www.thehindu.com/features/metrop ... 937422.ece

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you KVChellappa. A very touching reminiscence...
I can't believe a year has gone by since his passing.

varsha

Post by varsha »

MV - Let us count our blessings while he is wowing another world !!!

https://www.mediafire.com/?kfaml55pqpw0myp

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you, Varsha.The BMK LGJ combo is indeed special.

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Hi Varsha,

Is it possible to get the complete song (BMK LGJ) or is it available somewhere

varsha

Post by varsha »

am travelling.will look into these around the fifteenth

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Remembering the maestro today. It has been exactly two years since his passing. His music lives with us every day!

cacm

Post by cacm »

It SADDENS me beyond my ability to express it the fact that a person like LGJ who REVOLUTIONIZED THE ROLE OF VIOLIN IN CM, WHOSE COMPOSITIONS ARE OF THE HIGHEST CLASS, WHO LITERALLY NOT ONLY CAUSED THE RENAISSANCE OF CM IN N.A. & INDIA is not being celebrated in the way it should.
Neverthless THE LALGUDI SAHAPTHAM cannot be stopped by the lack of CELEBRATIONS IT SHOULD TRIGGER....VERY VERY SAD V.K.V.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I would suggest as part of Cleveland festival,a tribute concert may be planned from next year as the festival is held in April.I did not read about any tribute concerts planned in Chennai even in Krishnaganasabha.Generally KGS schedules programs on his birthday.Tributes were paid by Mysuru Violin Bros and they played a Thillana in sindhubhairavi at Fort HS,Bangalore Ramanavami on April 21.
It is the case with many others including the great MDR.
MDR is not at all remembered in Chennai and an event is held in Trivandrum by retired school teacher Krishna murthy called MDR day.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I UNDERSTAND the sentiments behind you suggestion but the scope of CLEVELAND FESTIVAL is not conducive to happenings like the ones you are referring to. For example NEXT YEAR'S FESTIVAL WILL CONCENTRATE ON M.S. & her birth centenary. vkv

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear CACM,

Lalgudi GJR Krishnan,Vijayalakshmi are doing excellent work to preserve the Lalgudi bani.Similarly as you mentioned,Narmada is the torch bearer for MSG bani and starting from Cleveland,there have been tribute concerts organised by you.I think in the previous year there was a tribute session for Lalgudi Jayaraman.Both Lalgudi sir and MSG are really violin gods and paved the way for many talented youngsters.You mentioned next year festival will concentrate om MSS.
We have Chembai festival to commemorate Chembai music.One music doyen who does not have any festival named after him is MDR.I think even Kalakshetra where MDR served does not have an annual tribute to him.Rasikas can correct me if i am wrong.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I AM OF THE OPINION WE ARE DERILICT in not perpetuating the memory of SO MANY GREAT ARTISTS whose concerts we are listening thru' HD'S etc. It is A SHAME. I have tried UNSUCCESSFULLY TO CHANGE THIS shameful situation. STILL OEPN TO IDEAS FROM ANY ONE. vkv

cacm

Post by cacm »

I AM OF THE OPINION WE ARE DERILICT in not perpetuating the memory of SO MANY GREAT ARTISTS whose concerts we are listening thru' HD'S etc. It is A SHAME. I have tried UNSUCCESSFULLY TO CHANGE THIS shameful situation. STILL OEPN TO IDEAS FROM ANY ONE. vkv

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

VKV: I agree with you on the need--my observation is that in general the initiative should come from the students and disciples of the artistes which is lacking in many cases--MMI ,MLV are prime examples(I know I am entering treacherous territory here but I shall not name "names"!!!)--Anyway it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. Let's drum up some ideas.

We can institute scholarships in the Music Colleges( in their names--Lalgudi,MSG,MDR--) -a Chennai-based wellwisher/admirer could be approached to take up the initiative-- for LGJ--Industrialist Thyagarajan,for MSG--our own forumite Nageswaran.
Forumites can voluntarily contribute(every time we listen to one of the artistes' kutcheris on the you tube or other forums we could start our own "piggy banks" and the collections so gathered may be sent to the 'coordinator".

I admit the suggestion is too naive and lacks rigor but being senile that I am in my seventies I could not come up with a better one!!!

cacm

Post by cacm »

GOOD IDEA. LETS HOPE SOME ONE FOLLOWS THROUGH.....VKV