Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Remembering musicians of the recent past
mahavishnu

Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Post by mahavishnu »

I am starting this thread (in addition to existing condolence thread) for people to write in their extensive notes and tributes to the legend, violin maestro Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman. I am hoping members of the Carnatic music fraternity, Sri VKV, MKR and others will post extensive tributes and Varsha-ji, RSachi and others will share meaningful clips, anecdotes and videos to celebrate the life of the genius. I will also write a more elaborate essay, on the impact of the great maestro's music on myself personally and my family's long association with him.

I am posting the first message here upon the request of vidwan Trichy Sankaran, who has sent the following condolence message to the rasika community.

--------------------------------------
FROM Prof. TRICHY SANKARAN.

I was heartbroken to hear the sad news of the passing of the great legend Padmabhushan Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman. Since I do not belong to any social network, may I request you to please post the message below on my behalf on Rasikas.org and/or any other suitable site.

WHAT A GREAT LOSS
I am deeply saddened by the demise of the great violin maestro Sri Lalgudi G. Jayaraman. He was an artist of the highest order, great vidwat and a prolific composer. I had the privilege of knowing him since 1955 when he performed for my debut in the concert of Alathoor Brothers along with my Guru Sri Palani Subramania PIllai in Trichy. We had performed together in numerous concerts over the years.

His contribution to the music world as a soloist, accompanist, composer and teacher is immense and unparalleled. Truly it was Lalgudi Sahabdam: He reigned supreme in the Carnatic field for over six decades. His legacy, I am sure, will continue for a long time through his son GJR Krishnan and daughter Vijayalakshmi, who are already noted performers themselves, and his many promising students and followers.

As a person who has moved so closely with the Lalgudi family, I feel that I cannot express my grief adequately in words except to offer my deepest condolences to the family. I pray the Almighty for his soul to rest in peace.

Mrdanga Vidwan Trichy Sankaran
Toronto, Canada

mahavishnu

Re: Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Post by mahavishnu »

I am posting the first of the tribute concerts here.
Here is a timeless Lalgudi duet with Srimati Brahmanandam; Poovalur Venkataraman and Trichy Sankaran double mridangam (IFAS 1974).

Appropriately, the first piece of this concert is Endaro Mahanubhavulu. Followed by an amazing janaranjani (nadadina mata)!
Full concert can be found here: https://archive.org/details/01EndharoMa ... vuluSriAdi

Please share your favourite recordings/anecdotes/eulogies/verbal tributes.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mahavishnu,
Thanks for an appropriate beginning for the Tributes page.
Noteworthy indeed that EIGHT great mridangam vidwans have performed memorably with the maestro:
MANI Iyer, Palani, Sankaran, TKM, Raghu, Sivaraman, Ramabhadran, Kakarikkudi Mani! There are significant Lalgudi recordings with each of them!

Last evening, stuck outside in welcome Bangalore rains, I came to know the great loss. I at once informed Sri K Srikantiah, who has known Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman for 67-68 years closely. He was deeply shaken. We are putting together a Parvathi tribute and I shall share the link here.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

A heartfelt tribute by Meera Srinivasan:
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/t ... epage=true

cacm

Post by cacm »

[quote="Rsachi"]Mahavishnu,
Thanks for an appropriate beginning for the Tributes page.
Noteworthy indeed that EIGHT great mridangam vidwans have performed memorably with the maestro:
MANI Iyer, Palani, Sankaran, TKM, Raghu, Sivaraman, Ramabhadran, Kakarikkudi Mani! There are significant Lalgudi recordings with each of them!

Last evening, stuck outside in welcome Bangalore rains, I came to know the great loss. I at once informed Sri K Srikantiah, who has known Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman for 67-68 years closely. He was deeply shaken. We are putting together a Parvathi tribute and I shall share the link here.[/quote
]
C.S.MURUGABHOOPATHY WAS ANOTHER GREAT ONE WHO ACCOMPANIED HIM A LOT TOO. VKV

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Look at this wonderful photo shared by Varsha:

More photos here:
http://rasayanakarnatic.wordpress.com/l ... 1930-2013/

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Absolutely priceless collection...

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Friends,

Here is a tribute at Rediff.
http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/s ... 0423.htm#4

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sangeethapriya website's landing page is a tribute to the great LGJ.
http://66.182.253.251/lgj-homage.htm

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

More tributes from the Hindu:

N. Ramani, flautist: His was pure music. We had a long association and I have learnt immensely from him. He was instrumental in my progress and we performed together in several jugalbandhis in the U.S., Dubai and Singapore. Several of his disciples are taking forward the Lalgudi baani. His death is a great loss to everybody.

Umayalpuram Sivaraman, mridanga vidwan: My association with him dates back to more than half a century. The greatness of Lalgudi is that he beautifully translated the emotion, feelings and manodharma of the main artist and painted a picture of aural beauty in the minds of rasikas. I vividly remember both of us accompanied the legend Mudikondan Venkatrama Iyer at The Music Academy several years ago and it remains one of our most memorable concerts.

T.N. Krishnan, violinist: I have known him for the last 60 years and he is more like a younger brother to me. We always respected each other’s music. His contribution to music cannot be measured and his death is a great loss to the music fraternity.

Karaikudi Mani, mridanga vidwan: He was born to play the violin. Playing alongside him in a concert was very challenging but it gave utmost satisfaction. He could engage an audience for four hours at a stretch with his violin compositions, and not one person would step out. Everybody would wait to hear him perform the thillana.

Padma Subrahmanyam, danseuse: He represented the great tradition of Thyagaraja Swamigal sishya parampara. Most of the dance performances have a thillana or padha varnam of Lalgudi’s. His contribution to dance and music is immense. I can never forget the thillana he composed for me in Raga Mandu. Our trip to the then USSR in 1987 was a memorable one.

P. Unnikrishnan, Carnatic vocalist: We grew up listening tothe maestroand his concerts where he accompanied great musicians such as G. N. Balasubramaniam and Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer. He was a great composer as well and all his thillanas were absolutely brilliant. He will continue to live through his music for many generations to come. It is a sad day for Carnatic music.

S.P. Ramh, Lalgudi’s disciple: I owe my life and musical career to my guru who was my father figure in life. He has been my inspiration. He attended many of my concerts and encouraged me a lot. At the end of each concert, he would point out both, the highlights of my performance and areas that needed improvement. He took me into his family. I learnt under him for 25 years.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Homage by Sri Ravikiran (with added quotes from several other musicians)

Full link here: http://www.dc-epaper.com/PUBLICATIONS/D ... tml?Mode=1

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Incidentally today in the newspaper it was mentioned that shri LGJ first arangetram was a vocal concert.
Also I just searched in youtube where there is a rare recording of shri LGJ speaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvUQifcceI

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Ramesh,

Thank you so much for starting this thread.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Viji Lalgudi

on FB...

"I long for him......

He took me gently with a sparkle in his eyes
For this sweetest moment I can put no price
Eagerly in the dark velvet chamber I would wait
not once he failed to see me day and night
I am his beloved when his fingers silken glide
I am his slave when he played hither to untried
Resting on his chest I sang to my surprise
bowing he hugged me as they showered praise
A torrid love affair for over seven decades
Music from Heaven flowed in majestic cascades
Age has withered him, his magic fingers now frail
I long for him, knowing he misses me as he ails
If only I had wings I would rush to his lap
And play his heart at the touch of his breath"

http://www.facebook.com/lalgudiviji/posts/4465396563256

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

It is no surprise that the entire Carnatic music world is poorer after the loss of MSG and now Sri Jayaraman. I recall two days in Calcutta, aeons ago when I was a graduate student. Sri Jayaraman was visiting that city for a concert with Voiletti Venkateswaralu and all the artists stayed in my sister in law's uncle's house. Sri Jayaram knew her uncle pretty well. I was given the task of taking then around the city in her uncle's car and it was an exciting, though intimidating, experience. Sri Jayaraman evinced keen interest in my research particularly wanted to know about radioactive decay and how that is used to find the age of the Earth. One thing he was very strict about was carrying his violin himself. I offered to do that many times, but he wouldn't budge. And who can forget that although he was already The Lalgudy Jayaraman by then, he would still wake up early and practice! This seems to be the trait of all the greats. For I have seen Prof T N Krishnan do the same thing as recently as in 2005 or there about when he stayed with us in Michigan for few days.

My heart felt condolences.

PS . There is a general feeling among Carnatic musicians that the North Indians make slight of South Indian music and culture. Here is an example as to why such a feeling is not without justification. Read the head line of what appeared in a national paper like The Hindusthan Times, announcing the demise of Sri Jayaraman! This despite the fact that Sri Jayaraman was one of the few who excelled in North-South juglabhandis.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-new ... 7.aspx[url]

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Pray tell me what you find wrong in the headline. Not mentioning his actual name?
The news item has been filed by someone working for HT in Chennai.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RSachi - do we honestly applaud the person who called Sri Jayaraman a sitar maestro?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sorry, I am missing something here. This is what I read in the HT link:
Violin maestro Lalgudi passes away at 82

Legendary Lalgudi Jayaraman, who died at a private hospital in Chennai on Monday at 82 after a brief illness, was to the violin what Pandit Ravi Shankar was to the sitar.

Born on September 17, 1930, into a musical family, Jayaraman showed signs of genius as a child and had begun performing at the age of 12. Trained in Carnatic classical style, he was known the world over for a new technique that is more suited to the needs of Indian music and is also remembered for introducing concepts of musical ensembles with the violin, flute and veena way back in the 1960s.
Lalgudi, a Padma Bhushan awardee as well as a composer, has been credited with giving the violin pride of place as a solo instrument in Carnatic music. Till he made it large on the music scene, the violin was a mere accompaniment.

“Lalgudi Jayaraman was indeed the Bhishma Pitamah of the violin in Carnatic music. His enormous musical knowledge helped singers like me also,” recalled Carnatic singer Bombay Jayashree Ramnath.

His jugalbandis with Hindustani classical musicians and instrumentalists such as Ustad Amjad Ali Khan made him popular with audiences across India. Widely travelled, Jayaraman had represented India at several music festivals in different countries.

He is survived by a son and daughter, also famous violinists.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

They have fixed the error since the original report. Thank god for small mercies!
Sachi: They had listed him as sitar maestro in the uncorrected version |(

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Well well.
North Indians also have a word called istar.
"Dhoni became kirket istar in ischool only".

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,

Today morning I visited the home of Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman to express my personal condolences to Sri GJR Krishnan and his family.

Many musicians like Sri PSN, Karaikudi Mani, Ghatam Karthik, M.A Sundaresan SP Ramh,
BY Jayasri Janardhan Mitta [sitar] and many others have come in person to pay their personal condolences.

I Visited Lalgudi Sir about a year ago and gave him a set of recordings of his concerts to him. I have also invited Sri Krishnan to my home and gave him the first set of many recordings of his father to listen to.

IN 1970s, The AIR used to relay the December music season concerts of many artists live.
In the 09.30 PM slot, AIR used to relay the full concert of the artist. One of the best collections of Sri Lalgudi was his violin duet with his sister Srimathi Brammanandam with Sri Palgot Mani Iyer At the Tamish isai sangam concert where in Sri lalgudi played almost all tamil songs songs notably Sabhapathikku in Abhogi and Karthigeya Kangeya in Todi.

I have to dig out from my archive this concert for posting in this thread shortly.
S.NAGESWARAN.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks to all for their inputs in this thread.
Here's one of my memories of Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman. He was staying in a friend's house at Toronto ( 94?) and he was kind enough to teach some youngsters a varNam (BowLi) and a thillAnA ( mANd). Since my daughter was one of the youths, I had an occasion to talk with him. When I told him about how I have heard his father's Thiruppugazh Bajan and how some of us sing Thiruppugazh at Toronto according to tunes set up by Guruji Raghavan of Delhi, he questioned me at great length about how , in my opinion, Raghavan went about selecting Ragas etc for Thiruppugazh. ( Later on I have heard Lalgudi's students give full-length Thiruppugazh concerts at Chennai.I was also present when he was honoured one year at Vada Pazhani Temple for his services to Thiruppugazh ).

The next year or so ( 96?) GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi gave a concert at Toronto. The concluding piece was a Thiruppugazh ( I think it was 'ERu mayilERi") in
the raga 'Jaideep'. Krishnan explained the raga; but now I don't remember it. I remember talking to him afterwards and he explained that the new raga's name was a tribute to his father ; hence the 'Jai' in the name.

Does anyone know the ArOhaNa and AvarohaNa of this raga and is there a recording of this Thiruppugazh available?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

The Deccan Herald, Bangalore edition today carried this editorial:

arasi

Post by arasi »

I read Viji's poem again. How beautiful!
A daughter who knew her father and his love for his violin--
And in whom the same pulsates...
Not forgetting her sibling--

venkatakailasam

A rare picture...Lalgudi and Viji...

Shared by viji at FB at

http://www.facebook.com/groups/cbquestions/

You may have to log in..

anandmurty

Post by anandmurty »

I come from a family that has no performing tradition, save for my paternal grandma who played the veena for a few years, but an immense love for anything musical.
So all through the 80s, as I was growing up, the house would quite literally vibrate with a heady mix of MSS, the famous Vilayat Khan-Bismillah Khan jugalbandi, Chittibabu, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Abba and even Anoop Jalota!

But the most-played track was 'Na Jeevadhara' by Lalgudi Jayaraman and his sister. Mater, Pater, elder sis and I would just sit in silence, savouring every nuance produced in that recording. I must have been 5 or 6 and had no clue about the raga, what the words were, the rhythm cycle or what the Thyagaraja's words were. Honestly, it didn't matter.

With that Bilahari, Lalgudi left an audio imprint deep in my mind. It was as if he, through his playing, managed to help me instinctively revel in the full rasa of a raga. At the age of 33, if I can listen to a phrase and home in on the raga without being to identify a single note, it's to his credit.

In other words, every 'aha' moment, every sharp intake of breath on hearing a lilting phrase, every nod and smile when I listen to music comes from the way he made that violin sing with that one song.

So I'll put an end to the words - for they can never do justice to the sheer experience of sound that LGJ built - and go listen to that Bilahari again. To become that 5 year old again and just submerge myself sans analysis.

Somewhere up on high perhaps, the good Lord sits listening to a duet between MSG and LGJ. Lucky chap.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

All the tributes and reminiscences posted are touching, but Viji's poem is just amazing.

Some of us don't do facebook: Many thanks for reposting the poem and the delightful photograph here.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

What a contrast the life and legacy of a Lalgudi or an MSG is to the careers of our degraded, scandalous politicians.

arasi

Post by arasi »

We read many Hindu articles, those written by musicians too. Here is one written about a giant, by someone who is a bit more than half his age, but is as formidable a figure in music as Lalgudi.
What Ravikiran has written about the master--his gift, his growth and the heights that he achieved, not only because of the gift, but by practice, imagination, thought, teaching and performing--also applies to the writer of this article.

How appropriate that The Hindu published this in honoring Lalgudi!
A classic ode it is, to a super artiste by another.

Santhanam

Post by Santhanam »

THE VIOLIN WILL NOT STOP SINGING-
THE VIOLIN WILL NEVER LOSE ITS VOICE.
THE LEGEND IS NOT GONE.
HE WILL NEVER LEAVE US.

Its not over. It will not be over.
Lalgudi Sir will continue to live forever
a) In our hearts
b) In his compositions
c) In every aspect of music
d) Through his recordings

Every swara, anuswara, every akshara of each thala, each syllable of each sahithya, each gamaka in each raga owes its gratitude to the legend of all times-LALGUDI G. JAYARAMAN. He is all in one and one and the only.
He is Purandaradasa as a Guru and a sangeetha Pithamaha
He is Thyagaraja Swami in reflecting the rakthi of the raga
He is Dikshithar in intellect and acumen
He is Syama sastri in emotional introspection
He is Gopalakrishna Bharathi in his non- discrimination as regards caste and creed
He is Papanasam Sivan in bringing out the beauty of the tamil compositions
He is Sadasiva Brahmam in wisdom and viveka.
He is Jayadeva in aesthetic sensitivity
He is Surdas and Meera in flowing melody.

Mahathmas are never gone. They continue to live and bless us.
Sir, You have not left us and you cannot do so. We know your love for us and your love for music. You are here, right with us—ever smiling at us lovingly with your trademark blushing smile.
We love you so much.
Vishakha Hariji

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you, Vishaka Hariji for sharing your sentiments with us.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

KVN on Lalgudi mamas mastery over layam. He said almost all Violinists tap the foot to keep the beats; some keep on the bow; there is only one person who keeps it in his mind. That is Lalgudi Jayaraman. Semmangudi mama said when Lalgudi accompanies you get new ideas in kalpana swaram singing. (Avar vasikarathe kettu namaukkum pudu karpanaigal varum. Romba puddisali)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Another quote from SSI about LGJ--Avan Vali(Ramayana) Madiri--namma padumbodhu nammudaya sakthi ellam avanukku vandudum"(Like the mythological figure Vali who it is said acquires the strength of his opponent as he battles him --

Be it a Simhanandana Thala Pallavi or a sankeerna Nadai Shanmukhapriya Pallavi--he was every bit a Jalgudi Layaraman as Ramnad Krishnan used to refer to him!!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Lalgudi is an epic!
He spans the Golden Era of CM like a giant.
We Rasikas would love to hear episodes and personal encounters from his Associates, Relatives, Shishyas, Musicians and Friends...
Pl oblige...

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Parvathi Tribute to the Maestro

Dear rasikas,
Please click the image above to visit the Parvathi tribute page wherein Mr Srikantiah shares his feelings and anecdotes about Lalgudi. We have also posted 162 minutes of fantastic Lalgudi music, solo, and accompaniment, from Semmangudi to Abhishek's own tribute.

Thanks
Sachi R

smala

Post by smala »

Does anyone have the film Sringaram (DVD) for which Lalgudi got the National Music Director award? I would like a copy.

venkatakailasam

SRINGARAM
Dance of Love seems to be available with carnatica ... Carnatica has taken up the marketing and distribution of the audio CD .....

some sample audio is available here ...

http://www.carnatica.net/products/cd/sringaram.htm
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 26 Apr 2013, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.

venkatakailasam

deleted
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 26 Apr 2013, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

Rishi Sharma

Post by Rishi Sharma »

Dear Rasikas

On behalf of Rasikalaya and the many, many rasikas of Lalgudi Sir, we convey our condolences to Mama's family. There are no words to describe the feelings we are experiencing.

My family has known Lalgudi Mama since the late 1930s as we resided 2 doors away from them in Lalgudi town. Lalgudi Mama knew my father,
Shri C. Vedanarayanan, since he was one year old (my father is now 72!). Although our family at the time did not have resources to learn music, we have always been ardent rasikas.

Ever since my father moved to London in the late 1960s, we have always welcomed artistes to our home and have shown them around the City. My parents had the honour of hosting Lalgudi Mama twice, first in 1971 and then in 1981.

Just to share a couple of incidents:
In 1971, my father and Mama were walking around Oxford Street & Regent Street (Central London, about 10 min walk from Trafalgar Square). They both entered W.E.Hill & Sons, a music store which specialised in violins. The store had a Stradivarius violin valued at £1m back then. Mama asked whether he could play the instrument. The manager refused point blank. After much persistence by my father, explaining Mama's background, the manager opened the cabinet and reluctantly gave the violin on the strict condition that it be returned after one minute exactly.
Aha! What followed afterwards was a wonderous Mohanam with an audience of just two.. my father and a trembling manager... My father still beams about that incident to this day..

In 1981, Lalgudi Mama came on a UK tour with Krishnan Anna, Shri Vellore Ramabhadran and Shri G Harishankar. My father and a family friend, Thiru Jegatheeswaram Pillai, took them around Central London and to Stratford-upon-Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare. The first South Indian temple (Sri Ganapathy Koil) in London commenced in 1981 in Wimbledon. The four artistes visited the temple and Mama sang 'Mudhakaratha Modakam' (Maha Ganesha Pancharatnam) in front of the Sannidhi.

I am attaching a link to photos from the above incidents plus other photos of Mama with his family taken at their home in Chennai. Please feel free to download the photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1110735804 ... directlink

My own relationship with Mama was only 4 years old. I saw him only on 2 occasions: in 2009 and 2011. We invited him for my marriage in June 2012 but he was not keeping well.. My wife Uthra and her family received Mama's blessings when they met him.

Our own tribute to Mama was to hear his 1965 Academy concert (Nada Sagaram) with Shrimathi Mami, Palakkadu Mani Iyer and T.R.Rajamani which features a brilliant Kannada (Ide Bhagyamu) in Misrachapu.. the 8min swarakalpana is absolutely astounding and has a symphony effect and still gives us ecstacy every time we listen..

Ide (engal) bhagyamu to have known Mama at such close quarters... We will definitely miss him.

Rishi Vedanarayanan Sharma
London

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Lovely, Rishi!

After adding Stradivari, WE Hills and some Photoshop touches:

May I say:
Blessed Stradivarius, gladly take a bow!
Silent for centuries, you're resonant now.
Sri Rama's step made a stone breathe again.
The Hills are alive to Lalgudi's refrain.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I wonder what yogyatam I have to speak about him, but I feel compelled because his music had such an impact on me -- I am a Carnatic rasika because of that Mohanam and Hindolam. His music to me was complete in every aspect one could imagine. I got attracted to the violin because of him and always used to dream of an opportunity to play something before him and get his approval, but for many reasons that was not to be.

As an accompanist, Lalgudi sir had reached that point where there was absolutely no barrier between the music he heard, the music he remembered and the music he could reproduce from what his mind wanted. He would reproduce even the minute variations to the line at the end of the kalpanaswaram. He also had another nice approach of taking the main artistes' ideas and recombining them into different combinations to craft original replies. He would inspire artistes by suggesting a phrase to kindle their imagination along a new wave.

That laya prowess also meant that he had full freedom in manodharma as a soloist and could go wherever he wanted and always be able to come right back at the landing spot. I have observed that this particular facet is exceedingly difficult for violinists in particular to achieve. It is one thing to even be able to render talas without the hands and it is a totally different thing to keep the tala in the mind altogether. Even with great technique and virtuosity, one could be defeated from expressing one's true potential freely because our laya & tala systems literally require a second brain to keep working out complex high speed math and live GPS tracking in addition to all the challenges of playing the instrument. That and his superlative imagination and his ability to express any emotion through music is the reason why he was such an unparalleled soloist.

Another point from the technical point of view -- in his videos I've very rarely seen such a flexible left hand. He had long fingers with tremendous reach and all four fingers had comparable dexterity to each other. That allowed him to use fingering combinations and play phrases that would otherwise be impossible to play by any less flexible hand. That level of flexibility is seen only in the very greatest of instrumentalists. The little finger often waited and struck at the right moment and it resembled the strike of a cobra. The right arm was so seamless that in his Rama Katha Sudha recording, it sounds as though the entire alapana was played in one continuous bow stroke!

The Lalgudi sound was unique -- a very warm, masculine sound, both strong and also soft, that tone around the D# (2.5 kattai). One stroke and you would know that no one else was playing. That trait was also shared by MSG and TNK sirs. Personally I wonder though how nice it would have sounded live, when it was free from the limitations of old recording technology.

Despite all this, you didn't need to be a scientist to appreciate the music. I'd say the greatest achievement was the fact that he could hide the technical complexity underneath beauty and bhava. He would touch the heart first and then the head. It would take a very experienced listener to understand the depth of what one was hearing and yet it required nothing to feel the emotion and beauty of it. One phrase could take you into a new world. He didn't come from another dimension, he was a dimension in himself.

I am listening to that Madhayamavati, THAT Rama Katha Sudha recording, for the umpteenth time now, and between a storm of emotions and the tears at some strikingly beautiful and haunting phrases I can only marvel and wonder...
Last edited by SrinathK on 25 Apr 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Despite all this, you didn't need to be a scientist to appreciate the music. I'd say the greatest achievement was the fact that he could hide the technical complexity underneath beauty and bhava. He would touch the heart first and then the head. It would take a very experienced listener to understand the depth of what one was hearing and yet it required nothing to feel the emotion and beauty of it. One phrase could take you into a new world. He didn't come from another dimension, he was a dimension in himself.
Very nicely said, Srinath.
RSachi, Rishi: Thank you for sharing the links and warm anecdotes. The stadivarius story is priceless.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@RSachi

You beat me to the Stradivarius incident. That photograph is an interesting one because of those pictures on the cabinet behind him. There is an uncropped shot of it with me and it has all the great Strad and Guarneri virtuosos of the West -- Heifetz, Menuhin, Milstein, Kreisler and all. It makes a fitting statement about Lalgudi sir's position as one of the greatest geniuses and violinists of the 20th century.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

"A Stradivarius: A unique blend of beauty, tone and projection" by Tasmin Little ( from The Independent)
When I first played one I couldn’t eat properly for two days afterwards.

It was just the most amazing experience.

From a player’s point of view, there is a sonority, a capacity to project, which almost no other maker of violins has – that possibility to project so well, while maintaining quality. You can have loud violins that are brash and hard but have no tonal variation. Then there are those that have tonal variation, but in a great hall with an orchestra behind you, they can’t be heard.

A Stradivarius has that ability to project and the range of tonal colours. That is why they are so highly sought after.

And, from a luthier’s point of view, they are just incredibly beautiful to look at. The carving, the colour, the detail – though I’m not such an expert on those things.

Carrying one with you though, is not without its difficulties. I’ve had the Regent Stradivarius on loan from the Royal Academy of Music since 2000, and it’s just like having a child. You just have to take very good care. You do have to get over the fear, though, in the end. But apart from the monetary value, you’ve got something that’s irreplaceable.
Tasmin Little is an English classical violinist and concert soloist. She plays a Stradivarius on loan.

KMH

Post by KMH »

Thanks for sharing such priceless photos, Rishi. I remember your telling us all about Lalgudi's visits to your house during our very first Swaralaya get together at Chelmsford. But reading about it and seeing the pictures now was a very special experience. Bless you.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

RSachi, as you already indicated, in this instance it was the Stradivarius that was honored by the maestro's playing.
That said, LGJ treated his own instrument with greater care than a precious newborn. He never set it down carelessly or let an untrained person even touch it.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

was listening to this, could not help but share this, can violin get any sweeter?

http://www.mediafire.com/?kw8j30gy6vwlue8

DKJ_lalgudi

KMH

Post by KMH »

A Very Special Thillana
Shri Lalgudi Jayraman was the first ever carnatic musician to visit Muscat. This was in March 1984, and the credit for organizing this momentous visit goes entirely to Shri KG Krishnan, who was then the General Manager of Bahwan Travels in Muscat. Those were not the days of mobile phones or internet. But word spread quickly amongst the 200 odd music enthusiasts in the city, and for days before his arrival, there was a buzz of excitement in the air. We held meetings, duties were allocated, and our calendars adjusted to free us of mundane things like earning our daily bread. It is also important to note here that home video recorders had just started emerging in the market in Oman – and elsewhere. Bachelor that I was, I had recently invested in a National Panasonic video camera – a monstrous thing that needed a separate, heavy, recording device and a hand held, very hot flash device! And one could never stray away from a wall power socket! But this piece(s) of equipment was to prove its worth soon – and get me close to a man I already worshipped as a God.

The day Lalgudi, Vellore Ramabhadran, Vinayakram and Radhakrishnan landed, we got to say hello to the team at Mr KG Krishnan’s house. Professional that he was, Lalgudi wanted to visit the venue (the then Indian Central School), and check out the acoustics in the auditorium. I went along. Having already been introduced, I made bold to sidle up to Lalgudi and ask him if he would allow me to video his concerts. He readily agreed! My excitement knew no bounds. I immediately made all necessary arrangements – extension cords, additional battery, brand new TDK 180 min video cassettes, and two video recorders. I had already made up my mind that immediately after each concert, I would make a copy of the video to give Lalgudi as a special parting gift.

Lalgudi gave two concerts at the school, on 1st and 2nd March. On the 3rd, there was a chamber music concert at a rasika’s residence for the hard core rasikas who could never have enough of hearing the great man. As you will see in the video, the room was jam packed with over 50 of us. The front liners were literally inches away from the artistes! The job of video recording on the previous two days was easy – I had set up my tripod, mounted the camera, adjusted the screen, and all I had to do was keep an eye on the proceedings, free to enjoy the divine music. In the course of the conversations on previous days, Lalgudi had said he would stick to the programme already printed for the two school concerts, and that he would be willing to play special requests on the third day. I was those days madly infatuated with his Misra Sivaranjani thillana (still am!). At one private moment, I had asked him if he would please consider playing that thillana, since it did not figure in the school concerts (he played Mohanakalyani thillana one day, and other thukkadas the next). Within the short time since his arrival, he had put us all at ease, and would address each of us by name. “Adukkenna? Daraalama vasikkaren Hari” he said. Therefore, when the chamber concert started, I was waiting for my moment of glory, my moment of personal recognition by the great Lalgudi, something I could boast about for the rest of my life. I was at the far end of the room, videoing the proceedings. He and Radhakrishnan kept us in rapturous attention for close to two hours. Finally he played a superb Dikku theriyada kaattil. He then looked at Shri KG Krishnan, asking if he should wind up now – and Krishnan said “desh thillana vasichu mudichudungo”. Lalgudi nodded, and started with his lovely thillana in Desh. I was close to tears with disappointment. Here was my living God not keeping his word! That was unthinkable. Unacceptable. He could have atleast shot me a glance? I would have interpreted it to mean some soothing excuse like “what to do, dear Hari, this man Krishnan has arranged my entire visit, how can I say no to him” or something equally satisfying to repair my injured pride. Hurt as I was, I dutifully switched on the video again. (I was switching the thing off after every piece to be able to conserve precious video tape.) When the thillana finished – to thunderous applause as with every item – I was averting my gaze, trying to concentrate on the suddenly important buttons on the video, and in the process, nearly missed God speak: “Krishnan, Misra Sivaranjani Thillanavum vasicchudaren – idu Hari yoda special request”! Oh, how I cursed myself in that moment! For daring to doubt the greatness of this man, who treated a two day acquaintance with the same affection he accorded to life long friends! For wanting to save a few inches of tape, and missing out on words that to this day mean more to me than any accolade, any award or recognition from anyone! Luckily, I had the good sense to recover from my shock and switch on the video again! I never miss a chance to play this video to visiting friends, taking vain pleasure in pointing out “look, this concert is unique – have you ever heard Lalgudi play two thillanas in a single concert? The reason is …..”.

Lalgudi probably thought nothing of the sashtanga namaskaram I did after the event – almost everyone did a namaskaram, anyway. How was he to know that my namaskaram was as much in atonement as in reverence?

(True to his character, he continued to remember every one of us all through the subsequent years. He attended my wedding the next year at Chennai – a photograph taken then is one of my treasures, shared here with all rasikas. He blessed my newborn at his residence two years later. He visited our place when he came to Roorkee in 1989 for a Spic Macay lec-dem. He had this ability to make an ordinary person feel important – how many celebrities can claim such a divine quality?)

Lalgudi was to leave the next morning. He was not yet done with us though! He gave a lovely extempore speech, and then over dinner, regaled us with wonderful jokes on various topics. He encouraged Shri Ramabhadran to imitate various senior vocalists, which surprised and entertained us no end. Finally we said our reluctant farewells close to midnight. But I had work to do! Back in my room in the army camp, I sat and copied the last concert, gift wrapped the three concert videos, and handed them over to him at the airport early next morning. Both Lalgudi himself and young Radhakrishnan wrote to acknowledge the tapes – letters preserved to this day in my treasure chest!

Every bit of all three concerts is quintessential Lalgudi amritapaanam. I have attached a link to the wonderful speech he gave after the chamber music concert. If today Muscat hosts any number of visiting carnatic musicians, if there are any number of excellent music teachers and committed students, it is without doubt due to Lalgudi sir’s blessings. And thanks to video technology, I can resurrect him anytime I need him. Thanks to video technology, he is truly immortal.

http://www.mediafire.com/?92ik4md4tedab ... 85ajr7f73w

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8c5lujvgbfukqrl

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

KMH, many thanks for sharing.
However the first link you provided does not contain the LGJ video. It is a link to a TVS concert... Could you please re-upload the video link? There are surprisingly few video recordings of the master (compared the numerous audio tapes from the later part of the golden era). And only a handful of them have actually made it to youtube :(