Vidushi Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan is no more

Remembering musicians of the recent past
arasi

Vidushi Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan is no more

Post by arasi »

A nightingale in her own right, vidushi Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan, whose sweet voice matched her sweet nature passed away on May 15th in Chennai.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Vidushi Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan is no more

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Arasi: Very sorry to hear that. Condolences.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Extremely distressed to learn..

arasi.....Condolences.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Shocking!
Personal condolence to you arasi!
What really happened?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Heartfelt condolences to the family . Arasi, condolences to you. The CM world is losing its stalwarts one by one.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

arasi: Very sad news. My heartfelt condolences to everyone in the family.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - Maduraimini - condolences to you, Smt. Sujata and her daughters and the rest of her family!
May her soul rest in peace!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Heartfelt Condolences.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi,
Condolences to you and your extended family.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

"#240880 » 02 May 2013 20:18 » by satyabalu (Email) » Re: Carnatic Music - Programmes on http://www.radioweb.in

" Karaharapriya Mithri bhagyamme by Anantha lakshmi sadagopan was a classic With RNS..Request more uploads of the artist.* When I spoke to her who is 80+ she was found difficult to talk on the phone but wanted to know where I had listened.She felt very happy.'romba santhosham"
* May I suggest the details be forwarded to the artist /their family members well in advance? "

*I never thought the end will come so soon.During her brief talk with me she was expressing her wish to have a good alliance for his grandson.
*My condolences to Sujatha V &Srinivasan .I recollect the days in Madurai when We use to pass through her house (opp to Natesa Iyer reading room) walking along the "kammakarai(dry valley) to reach music classes in Satguru Sangeetha samajam in Chockikulam.
* Her role in popularising Ambujam krishna songs was remarkable.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasi Avl,
Very sorry to hear the news. I sincerely offer my condolences to you besides all the members of her family.
Thanjavooran
15 05 2013

arasi

Post by arasi »

I am touched that Venkat Kailasam has already started a thread on Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan with a concert of hers in the Vidwans and Vidushis section. Hope more is coming for all her fans to listen to and for those who have not heard her at all...

Thanks for your posts. I am sure her family appreciates it.

Satyabalu,
I am not able to listen to 'mithri bhAgyamu' that you have posted.
Last edited by arasi on 16 May 2013, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sincere condolences to Arasi and the rest of her extended family and friends. Hope her music continues to be heard by many around the world.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Sincere condolences to the family and to you personally, Arasi, for the loss. I do remember meeting her at the release function of the CD of your compositions in madras In December 2011 ( or is it 2010 ?). I remember listening to her programs in AIR in the forties and fifties, when I was in India.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Arasi ! You have go in for trial offer or subscribe to Radio web carnatic .The details of events are posted daily in rasikas by askn .Try this link.
The heptatonic scale of Kharaharapriya has some unique properties that lend a special character to the raga. . This is Episode 2.
Listen at http://www.radioweb.in/player-list?id=3702

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

heartfelt condolences

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Condolences

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

My condolences to you on your loss, Arasi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ranganayaki (and all other rasikAs who have posted here),

I have asked Sujatha Vijayaraghavan (her daughter), her two sons and wives, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and all the rest of AS's family to read the two threads (this and the one in the Vidwans and Vidushis thread about her).

Our aunt (mine and Maduraimini's--our uncle's wife) made a connection with anyone she met, with her love for music and with her endless affection.

However far away we were from India, she kept the same kind of closeness in her feelings for us.

Her enthusiasm (ill health couldn't stop it) for music and people was always with her. When I sang to her some of my compositions nearly twenty years ago, her enthusiasm for them was boundless. Having been a close friend and admirer of Ambujam Krishna and as someone who sang so many of her songs, it made her even happier. "mAmi mAdiriyE, unakkum ippaDi ellam pATTu vandirukkE!", she would exclaim.

Of course, VVS and Aiyya in her own family (cousin and brother of her husband) meant she had sung their compositions too in her concerts, also recording them.

Here on Rasikas.org, Sumitra Nitin (her grand daughter) singing two Arasi CDs is known by many which makes our connection even more obvious.

Music in her family and in her husband's family found a confluence. Her own children and her nephew Madurai Sundar were all blessed. Music and music appreciation became part of their lives. Her husband P.Sadagopan was a super rasikA with a flair for writing. You can find a couple of his essays in The Hindu publication on music (the name of which escapes me now).

Her children, all such rasikAs! I remember her younger son playing the flute as a child which stole my heart away. Of course, the sons got busy with their work, but music appreciation is a part of living in her family. Daughters-in-law too. One is a painter...
Daughter Sujatha Vijayaraghavan is a multi-talented woman--music, dance, writing, art matters and organizing--all keep her extremely busy.
The visible ones in the arts now are AS's grand daughters Sumitra Nitin and Sunanda Narayanan--both gifted in music and dance--and nephew Madurai Sundar.

Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan was delighted to hear her great grand children sing--the ones in India and abroad. Family gatherings are marked by their singing together, though they live scattered around the world!

Yes, she and her husband were an inspiration to them and to all of us in the extended family and friends' circle.
We will all miss her, but the very mention of her name puts a smile on my face. They were a pair, P. Sadagopan and her, a blend of the intellect and the arts, always cherished by those who knew them...
Last edited by arasi on 16 May 2013, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi
Not an encomium but a private recollection coming from the heart !
She had a glorious musical life, living to see all her progenies excel in CM and contribute.
We all should celebrate her Full life and memories.
She is now immortal in her rightful place among all the Stellar CM veterans in the heavenly abode!
May her soul rest in Peace!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Arasi has put it so eloquently and poignantly that is difficult to top!!! None the less I wish to express my own thoughts and reminiscences. Having known the family for three generations (my parents,myself and my wife) and my children we in the family are deeply saddened by Mami's demise. While her Vidwath has been amply demonstrated in her recordings and compositions,her natural inborn humility,grace and passion for music are qualities that need reiteration.
My first meeting of Mami(AS). was in the late forties in our Matunga home--how exactly the connection came about I do not recall--perhaps thro MS Amma. Mami had just released her 33 RPM record Sarasa Suvadhana(kalyani-Swathi Thirunal krithi) and Sankarasrigiri nada(Hamsanandhi)----my mother requested her to sing the kalyani kriti--I recall she had a pitch higher than even MS. Amma or NCV. The briga and the were crisp and flawless and the sruthi suddham was immaculate. I have always maintained that had she been able to devote to Music professionally full time she would have been the FOURTH Member of the MSS-DKP-MLV pantheon. In one sense this was a blessing-in-disguise for she would not have been able to guide/help Sujatha(daughter),Sumi and Nandu(granddaughters) in attaining the fame and glory that they have achieved in Music and dance. With all this Mami was the most humblest person on earth--one could not extract from her even a passing comment critical or derisive about contemporary artistes or her peers. She was always complimentary towards my daughter. Mama(Sadagopan) was no slouch when it came to art and culture or literature. I recall when both Mama and Mami visited the US almost 15 years back,they visted us and we had a 3 hour musical session--when we reminisced about the oldies--SGK,TNR-imitations/mimicry--Mama was a camp follower of SGK's drama and music.Mama and my paternal uncle were classmates in School and College (trivandrum) so that the family connections predate even before Mama and mai were married. Both of them were keen supporters of youngsters--I remember Mama inviting my father and myself to hear a promising "lad"(a nephew of his!!) the "nephew" had just entered IIT Madras(you can figure out now how long ago it was--the "nephew" was Madurai Sundar!!!!

Over the years with my parents moving to Chennai the two families interacted very closely.Everytime Mami visited us my mother will insist that mani sing a couple of songs--myself and my wife have learnt the Ambujam Krishna's songs thro Ekalvyam!!!

Our family feels the loss very much--Condolences to the family. More needs to be written about the Vidushi!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

MKR,
I was wondering, with all that occupies you and your time at present, if you had the time to visit Rasikas in the past few days. I would have sent you mail, but with all the sources that connect you to AS, I thought you would have heard the news by now.
She lived with music and shared it generously. Let alone with fellow musicians and students, even in the family circle (a rather large one), she always was quick in zeroing in on everyone's merits. She saw goodness in all the folks she knew.

Yes, both Mama and AS Mami were very keen on encouraging youngsters. As their nephew Sundar (and perhaps others in the family ;)) feel, she was however a harsh critic when it came to her wards with their music!

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

I was sad to hear about mami. A co-incidence, as my sister in India and I were just talking about her 2 days ago. We were saying how good she was to us when we were young. She was our mama's wife, but she treated us all, as her own family. When I visited India, she came to see me and waited till I woke up from my sleep. When they came to the U.S. my mama and mami visited us in Boston and had dinner with us. They were saying old stories about our parents and us when we were kids. I felt so happy to see them. Like Arasi says, she was always smiling and friendly evn to little ones. I am glad to hear she kept herself busy even with her health problems.
Thanks to rshankar and others for their thoughts.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Extremely sad to hear this. Amma joins me in conveying our condolences to Arasi , Smt Sujatha Vijayaraghavan, Sumitra and Maduraimini.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hindu wrote:She has composed music for dance dramas including Meenakshi Ammai Pillai Thamizh, Vallee Bharatham and Krishna Lila Tharangini and Kutrala Kuravanji.
I am sure these are masterpieces - Arasi or Maduraimini - is there any chance for the family to share recordings for the rest of us to listen and appreciate?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I'm sure AS would have liked to have shared her music with all. Let's ask the family if it can be done.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/AdeeNeePaiJ ... yer_201305

PL VISIT this link for a bunch of tracks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Varsha - lovely - thank you!
I have a question about the jAvaLi - adi nI pai...is it 'adi nI pai marulu konnadirA' (where 'rA' is used as a term of familiarity, like DA, aDA etc.), or is it 'adi nI pai marulu konnadi, rA' (where, rA signifies 'come')?

shrutipriya

Post by shrutipriya »

Sad that one more good musician has passed away. Just ten days back I was listening to her concert cd , a release by Carnatica and admiring at her clear, stunning voice, which could traverse very easily and confidently. Her daughter Sujata Vijayaraghavan has also got this kind of a clear well reaching voice like her mother. Reminded of Thomas Grays' “Full many a gem of purest ray serene
The dark unfathomed caves of ocean bear:
Full many a flower is born to blush unseen
And waste its sweetness on the desert air".

I would not say wasted , but would say remain unearthed !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sad to get home to news of a loss. Arasi, and all friends, condolences

varsha

Post by varsha »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Varsha,
Thank you. My morning starts with this ST bhajan sung so sweetly by AS. I have heard her sing it in a concert or two. Her lilting voice lent itself to singing bhajans.

How we all take for granted the riches in our families! In ours, though we celebrate occasions where music is very much a part of them, exchange of family news and recollections occupy much of the time when we come together. There is so much to catch up with when we meet on these occasions. How much more time I could have spent with AS, talking about her music! The same applies to other musicians in the family circle...

In AS's branch of the family, there has been a continuation of keeping music (and dance) flowing from generation to generation. Talent combined with discipline, is how I would describe it.
Last edited by arasi on 23 May 2013, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Beautiful Bhajan of Maharaja Swathi Tirunal sung melodiously by AS. Yes- it is haunting. I always loved this Bhajan, but I have not heard her sing this before. Thanks for posting this lovely Bhajan, Varsha.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Arasi: I had heard this almost 25 years ago from a cassette sung by Delhi Sisters(I think they are the daughters of K.R.Kumaraswamy who served in the Swathi Thirunal Academy in trivandrum as Principal.I thought he had tuned this composition.
In any case hearing it a second time--the same version-- this time from AS ---sounds good!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
The brother of Kedaranthan and Atma?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Arasi: YES!!! Have you heard them?Kumaraswamy was a great teacher--in fact in one of my posts on SSI I have mentioned an anecdote when my father arranged for him to tutor in Bombay one of our friends' daughter-anyway this is irrelevant to this thread. Back to AS.
Myself and Nirmala have always admired AS' quiet way of preparing the younger generation to preserve the family legacy.
Jayalaksmi Santhanam is an outstanding teacher--she has been our houseguest in the late Seventies and my daughter Shobana has learnt from her Varnams, and some krithis like Dasu Kovalena --excellent patantharam,solid foundation and most of all very sincere. I listened to her during the 2009 December season and apart from slight age-related unsteadiness in her voice, her sruthi and laya shuddham were impeccable a tribute to the rigor and passion she has towards Music. Again she would have been a true torchbearer of the DKP tradition but for her preoccupation with family obligations that deprived her of concert opportunities in her prime.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

my condolences

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Condolences to the family.
Her name is synonymous to me for the krithi Sada Unadu thiruvadi - Manohari raga. I think she had sung it in an album and i do remember myself going back again and again to this song.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A song worth listening to! The composer was her husband's cousin, a namesake, Prof V.V.Sadagopan...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very sorry to hear of your loss