Vidushi Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan is no more

Remembering musicians of the recent past
rajeshnat

Re: Vidushi Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan is no more

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hindu wrote:She has composed music for dance dramas including Meenakshi Ammai Pillai Thamizh, Vallee Bharatham and Krishna Lila Tharangini and Kutrala Kuravanji.
I am sure these are masterpieces - Arasi or Maduraimini - is there any chance for the family to share recordings for the rest of us to listen and appreciate?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I'm sure AS would have liked to have shared her music with all. Let's ask the family if it can be done.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/AdeeNeePaiJ ... yer_201305

PL VISIT this link for a bunch of tracks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Varsha - lovely - thank you!
I have a question about the jAvaLi - adi nI pai...is it 'adi nI pai marulu konnadirA' (where 'rA' is used as a term of familiarity, like DA, aDA etc.), or is it 'adi nI pai marulu konnadi, rA' (where, rA signifies 'come')?

shrutipriya

Post by shrutipriya »

Sad that one more good musician has passed away. Just ten days back I was listening to her concert cd , a release by Carnatica and admiring at her clear, stunning voice, which could traverse very easily and confidently. Her daughter Sujata Vijayaraghavan has also got this kind of a clear well reaching voice like her mother. Reminded of Thomas Grays' “Full many a gem of purest ray serene
The dark unfathomed caves of ocean bear:
Full many a flower is born to blush unseen
And waste its sweetness on the desert air".

I would not say wasted , but would say remain unearthed !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sad to get home to news of a loss. Arasi, and all friends, condolences

varsha

Post by varsha »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Varsha,
Thank you. My morning starts with this ST bhajan sung so sweetly by AS. I have heard her sing it in a concert or two. Her lilting voice lent itself to singing bhajans.

How we all take for granted the riches in our families! In ours, though we celebrate occasions where music is very much a part of them, exchange of family news and recollections occupy much of the time when we come together. There is so much to catch up with when we meet on these occasions. How much more time I could have spent with AS, talking about her music! The same applies to other musicians in the family circle...

In AS's branch of the family, there has been a continuation of keeping music (and dance) flowing from generation to generation. Talent combined with discipline, is how I would describe it.
Last edited by arasi on 23 May 2013, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Beautiful Bhajan of Maharaja Swathi Tirunal sung melodiously by AS. Yes- it is haunting. I always loved this Bhajan, but I have not heard her sing this before. Thanks for posting this lovely Bhajan, Varsha.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Arasi: I had heard this almost 25 years ago from a cassette sung by Delhi Sisters(I think they are the daughters of K.R.Kumaraswamy who served in the Swathi Thirunal Academy in trivandrum as Principal.I thought he had tuned this composition.
In any case hearing it a second time--the same version-- this time from AS ---sounds good!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
The brother of Kedaranthan and Atma?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Arasi: YES!!! Have you heard them?Kumaraswamy was a great teacher--in fact in one of my posts on SSI I have mentioned an anecdote when my father arranged for him to tutor in Bombay one of our friends' daughter-anyway this is irrelevant to this thread. Back to AS.
Myself and Nirmala have always admired AS' quiet way of preparing the younger generation to preserve the family legacy.
Jayalaksmi Santhanam is an outstanding teacher--she has been our houseguest in the late Seventies and my daughter Shobana has learnt from her Varnams, and some krithis like Dasu Kovalena --excellent patantharam,solid foundation and most of all very sincere. I listened to her during the 2009 December season and apart from slight age-related unsteadiness in her voice, her sruthi and laya shuddham were impeccable a tribute to the rigor and passion she has towards Music. Again she would have been a true torchbearer of the DKP tradition but for her preoccupation with family obligations that deprived her of concert opportunities in her prime.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

my condolences

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Condolences to the family.
Her name is synonymous to me for the krithi Sada Unadu thiruvadi - Manohari raga. I think she had sung it in an album and i do remember myself going back again and again to this song.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A song worth listening to! The composer was her husband's cousin, a namesake, Prof V.V.Sadagopan...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very sorry to hear of your loss