Prof. TRS SIR PASSED AWAY

Remembering musicians of the recent past
jayachAmarAja

Re: Prof. TRS SIR PASSED AWAY

Post by jayachAmarAja »

A great vidwan, rasika, and patron, who encouraged many an upcoming musician. Condolences to his family, friends and well-wishers..

mohan

Post by mohan »

Another great loss to music. He really had a brilliant, analytical musical mind. I really enjoy his DVDs on manodharma aspects.

msakella

Post by msakella »

A true-teacher and the only true-Sangitakalanidhi who truthfully served the society until his last breathe and whom the society remembers him for ever unlike any other musician on earth. Hats off to him. amsharma

varsha

Post by varsha »

This one hurts very badly .Just like MSG-LLG-Ranjini Hebbar.I now understand the wisdom of the saying ...
To learn to live without some of the things we have loved , is an indispensable part of happiness .
He shall always be a Nadopasaka to my mind .No other musician fascinated me as much as TRS for a hundred different reasons ..
https://archive.org/details/EleyManameR ... ubramaniam
kAlana dUthara kAligE biddarE
nAzhegE niluvarE ........
mandiya mAthige endigu marugada .....
---------
I can see him demystifying pallavis for the dwarapalakas of the pearly gates ....

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Very sorry to hear about Prof. TRS. Sympathies to his near and dear.

balakk

Post by balakk »

Sincere condolences. A legendary vidwan, great scholar and passionate teacher all rolled into one. He will be deeply missed.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I went to TRS mamA's home at annanagar east . His last rites will be done tomorrow (Oct 06th, 2013).
His home address is L17 26th street , Annanagar East , Chennai -102. When you come from kilpauk area towards chintamani , you keep going straight almost till the end before you hit New Avadi road , one road before that towards the right is 26th street, after you turn right his house is in the junction of the first cut in the right side . The street is just opposite to Hope Rehabilitation center. TRS mAmA finished his bi weekly classes at Music Academy yesterday , Oct 04th ,complained of breathlessness and then he passed away.

Incidentally today morning i went to TRS mamA's house with my periappa(my delhi periappa) who was TRS mAma's friend for about 50 years . My periappa told me that in 1960 or 1961 he came to delhi , his home was next to Prof TRS at karolBagh , then later he moved to North campus in Delhi University. Incidentally my periappa told for many years they in delhi never knew his greatness as he was a local artist and it took many years for them to collectively appreciate TRS mAmA as much as his other contemporaries . Also my periappa told a lot of things about shri TRS's wife Smt kanaga (who passed away before shri TRS ), she was a great pillar of support.

shri TRS daughter Smt Vijaya said Few days back mama's recording was played in AIR , it was a bilahari pallavi and about 5 people who heard his music called his home and went gA gA, that precisely is the greatness of his music- they notice and get that intense feeling to say how great his music was. I asked TRS mAma's sister what does TR stands for , she said Thiruvidaimarudur Rajagopalan, rajagopalan is TRS mamA's appA . Thiruvidaimarudhur produced a great musician (flute mAli) .

TRS mAmA , You are such a very very original musician who calibrated my expectation of what a carnatic concert has to be . I have told you many a times to you in person , I felt like saying it again You are as great as any of the other great musicians that you go gA gA. All will miss you as a performer, co-rasika, guru and as a wonderful human being.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 05 Oct 2013, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Very very sad. Deep condolences.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

A great loss :(

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Here is an absorbing RTP in raga Bilahari...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7bnioRUVs

One of the cases where MA has erred in not conferring SK...

E swara trs 002 Shri. TR Subramanyam RTP Natakuranji MahatmaGandhi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoDNaoGqso
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 05 Oct 2013, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Rajesh, great tribute. So nice of you to visit him in reason for a last look.

Great artist and simple personality and familiar figure in concert halls..

Condolences to near and dear.

pvs

Post by pvs »

Sincere condolences. He approached music as a scientist and artist simultaneously; a true genius. His swaras and ragas were out of the world; now he is ...

radha bhaskar

Post by radha bhaskar »

TRS sir's demise in indeed a great loss. It is hard to find a person like him - a fund of knowledge but so simple and down to earth. I remember quite a few of my Music appreciation programs where he would come and sit as audience and listen intently. Honestly, I would be taken aback and wonder what a genius like him would get to know from an ordinary person like me. But at the end, he would say, " I am always a student of music and there is so much to learn from everyone." As a person, he would have a word of praise for everyone and always appreciate good things. may his soul rest in peace!

satyabalu

Re: Prof. TRS aSIR PASSED AWAY

Post by satyabalu »

His role as Judge in Music competition used to be unique making the young participants to feel at ease to bring out their true stuff ,transforming it as a training session.
He will definitely make it whenever he was invited for Pancharatnam ,when you hand over a cover as a token he would ask "what is there to DIs Cover.?"
He was in the habit of staying till the end of the programme he attended.
He was active till end.

chitravina ravikiran

Post by chitravina ravikiran »

I got to know about this only a few hours ago... I pray for his soul. By way of tribute, I am sharing an article I wrote for his souvenir in 2006 (only the last para has been added now).
=======================================================
Few people have brought to the Indian music field as much innovative spirit, intellectual merit and more than all these, a positive attitude as Prof T R Subramaniam has done for several decades. His story reveals that he has not only done different things but also done things with a difference. Right from the beginning, he carved a special path for himself, one that several others are following today.

Prof TRS has made wonderful use of the gifts he possessed – an analytical and objective brain, exposure to several great styles, creativity and strong laya sense. He combined these to create a style of his own that wafted into the music field in a refreshing manner. It goes without saying that his approach and all too well known musicianship have accorded him a great status today. I want to dwell upon certain other equally important facets and contributions of his in this article.

Freshness: Prof TRS has also aimed to be fresh in everything he does, be it singing alapanas or swaras or composing new pallavis for his concerts. This is something that very few artistes strive for, often being content in their comfort zones. However, Prof TRS’ desire for freshness is not a product of peer performance or public expectation; it is born more out of an internal compulsion, he just can’t help being fresh! This is something that I can personally relate to.

Inquisitive Approach: Forever a person with an inquisitive mind, he has always set out to observe, analyse and draw intelligent inferences. He also has a large heart that enables him to share his thoughts and experiences with his students and anybody else that is interested.

Approach to compositions: Being a composer himself, Prof TRS has always striven to do justice to the works of other composers. His awareness of the lyrics and spirit of the works have enabled him to appreciate them and execute them better, something that he has striven to inculcate among his students.

Courage and objectivity: Another remarkable trait in him is his courage to speak his mind and act according to his convictions. This is what true character is about. Surely, his education has had a role in prompting critical studies of musicians and music, a must for any field to be healthy. By getting emotional about things close to heart, one may scarcely pay heed to perspectives other than one’s own, something that Prof TRS has often cautioned against. The important thing to remember is that even in his most critical analysis, he has displayed only objectivity, never malice.

True artiste: This brings to another wonderful side of Prof TRS, a true artiste, who is first a true rasika and student of the art. He has a remarkably open mind and genuine admiration for talent and the broad heart to go out of his way to spot and encourage people with abilities. Very few people will feel secure enough in their own abilities to do this. That Prof TRS has done this for so many years in several cities demonstrates his true love for the art, his confidence, his energy and goodwill towards artistes.

On a personal note, he was a very good friend of my father’s from 1950s (whom he used to call as the Superman of RTP), was the first to invite me to Delhi for a chitravina concert (in 1980/81), regularly brought promising violinists from Delhi to my attention even when they were in their teens (including Delhi Sunderrajan and Akkarai Shubhalakshmi) was absolutely, objectively appreciative about Oottukkadu Venkata Kavi’s greatness when I first shared some of his rare masterpieces with him (immediately sending several of his prominent disciples to me to learn them from me) and he encouraged many of my disciples in various ways. I had the honour to share the stage with him on numerous seminars, discussions and conferences. An irreparable loss indeed...

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

May I have the list of his compositions.? I wish his disciples to popularise them.

vidya raja

Post by vidya raja »

My Deep Heartfelt condolences. Very saddened by the loss to the music fraternity.

varsha

Post by varsha »

:-ss
Sabheyalleee Arithavarirabeku ....
https://archive.org/details/ThalabekuTh ... ubramaniam
De Profundis
------
“To deny one's own experiences is to put a lie into the lips of one's own life. It is no less than a denial of the soul.”
--
“The final mystery is oneself. When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens star by star, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?”
---
“Nature....she will hang the night stars so that I may walk abroad in the darkness without stumbling, and send word the wind over my footprints so that none may track me to my hurt: she will cleanse me in great waters, and with bitter herbs make me whole.”
----
“The great things of life are what they seem to be, and for that reason, strange as it may sound to you, are often difficult to interpret. But the little things of life are symbols. We receive our bitter lessons most easily through them.”
---
“In the strangely simple economy of the world people only get what they give, and to those who have not enough imagination to penetrate the mere outward of things and feel pity, what pity can be given save that of scorn?”
---
“God made the world just as much for me as for any one else.”
----
“Every single human being should be the fulfilment of a prophecy: for every human being should be the realisation of some ideal, either in the mind of God or in the mind of man.”
--------------------
De Profundis. Indeed !!!!!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Note: I have quarantined the phd thesis related posts. We can bring them back later on in a separate thread at a later time if there is interest. Thanks for your understanding.

VRV

Post by VRV »

Such a great loss to CM. My heartfelt condolences.

Vinod Venkataraman

Deekshita.V

Post by Deekshita.V »

As a disciple, it is a great loss to me .
On 3 rd Oct, He taught me "Dasarathe Pahimam" in Bilahari (Mysore Vasudevachariarar) . Then i started singing his Misra sivaranjani varnam for correction , he said let me hear the remaining in the next class (when will i get next class from him ?) He got ready and i asked him " enna mama, surprisa inniku enn Veshi kattindu varel ? "( TRS Mama usually wear pant ) He replied "seriaya thane irruku ? ". He dropped me at Madaveli and went to attended a concert.
On 4 th, He took class at Music academy in the morning and game back home by 12 noon. At 3.30 pm he was dressed (pant and Shirt) up and ready to visit Mylapore to attend concert. While walking through the his house Veranda, He had a massive attack and Gasping for breath , His daughter and Grand son took him to nearby Nursing home ,where CPR was done and at 4.15 pm he collapsed. (A true Karma Yogi ,till his end, was thinking and breathing only music)
On 6 th Morning, His Disciples sang (with tears rolling from eyes) the Krithis taught by him and paid homage to the great Guru.
His Last Rights were performed on 6 th Morning by his son Raja.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TRS MamA was a real real rasika always looking insightfully and seeing/hearing till the end upto mangalam how a musician delivers his/her concert . Many dignataries will sit next to him in the first half of a concert , and many a times he will be sitting all alone in the first few rows towards the end . Just a bit of random chronological order of where and when i saw TRS mAmA in concerts

# The last time I saw TRS mAma was in the pallavi darbAr concert where Abhishek sang in Aug 2013. He grew bit more older as he was having a walking stick.

# While musicians/rasikas walk out towards the middle of any concert , I have seen him once in swamy's hall where for KV Ramanujam flute he was coming in during sub main end and he stayed till the end.

# Once I spoke him about Trichur Brothers after NGS mini and told TRS mAma "Unga Kathu passanga pakkam nalla veesudhu(YOur touches are very much there )". TRS mAmA quipped something like no no no they have their musical spark.

# The concert at his Music Education trust where Dr Radha venkatachalam sang . mAma was very attentive and really putting taalam for the pallavi.

# Once after a OVK concert of Suryaprakash , mAma told veetukku pOlam nenaicheN utkArA vetchutayE pA when the concert ended around 09 :45 at PS high school. Appreciating chitraveena ravikiran for his extraordinary musical intellect in bringing OVK in the speech prior where TRS and Ravikiran shared the dias .

# A very touchy thing was when Deekshita sang an exclusive GNB composition concert . While many were congragulating Deekshita , prof TRS went to Deekshita mother and praised the mother .

# TRS mAma speaking in a manakkal rangarAjan felicitation at SPSS- roughly a year or two back . He could not sit for the Abhishek's pallavi that followed as it was very very late start

# TRS mAmA sitting for V Shankaranarayanan concert at ragasudha a year or two back.

# Lecdems of GNB at IFA and many more places . One could hear how much he liked GNB?

# With respect to rasikas event ,TRS sat thru a rasikas concert at shri Nageshwaran's house (for a PB srirangachari ) where he remarked "I am a great seeker of oceanic experience of CM I want to become a forum member, how do I become?"."

# Another rasikas event was when TRS mAma gave a lecture of "status of telugu in concerts" at our rasikas meet (in DVMK house)where K gayathri sang a concert.

# The very first time I recognized TRS mAma in concert circles at chennai was in 2005 . The concert was by padma seshadri sisters . I vaguely recollect a koteeshwara iyer main krithi in lathangi and they sang very rare numbers . I remember distinctly one was a krithi by nadopasana srinivasan. TRS mAmA talked briefly about the sisters.

# Talking about mAmA dress which the previous post was covered , I can think of his grey pant and a contrasting Red Shirt with a vivudhi and a small poTTu - it showed perhaps his pallavi + swararAgamAliga combination .

On a side note , TRS mAmA must have heard every musician and I have just recollected a miniscule subset of where I and TRS mAmA was in the audience.

Deekshita.V

Post by Deekshita.V »

By God's grace, I had a great opportunity to learn 18 of the GNB krithis from TRS Mama. As Mr.Rajesh mentioned , He prepared me to perform Three such exclusive GNB composition concerts without repetition. Mama perceived GNB krithi and taught (how GNB would Have sung his own krithi )

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Deekshitha! Why not you popularise his compositions? I remember having listened to one of his Varnams.You can also upload some rendered by you &other disciples.It will be a fitting Homage.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

My heart felt condolences on the demise of Sri TRS.

Our late forumite Sri Ramaraj and Sri TRS came to the concert of Sri P.B.Srirangachari at my home and remained till the end of the concert.
As per our request Sri TRS spoke about the highly attentive Rasikas of our forum and expressed his desire to join in our forum.

Myself and my family are in PUNE now to be with my son and his family.

On my return to Chennai on 16.10.2013, I will post the video clipping of Sri TRS addressing our Rasikas at the concert.

S.NAGESWARAN.

Rohin

Post by Rohin »

Deekshita -- sincere condolences. Thanks to all for your account of the last days of TRS mama. We'd love to hear more of TRS mama's original compositions. Another one I have heard sung by Nisha Rajagopal is Nigama Veda in Hamsadhwani.

Here is his beautiful Misra Sivaranjani varnam rendered by Salem Gayatri Venkatesan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1kuy3TKLh8

Lakshman Uncle -- could you please post any lyrics/recordings that you may have of his compositions?

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Dear Friends,

For me this was a very personal loss. TRS mama was a gurusthanam to me. I am sad but I write to celebrate his long life and the rich legacy he has left us. Every rasika growing up in Delhi during his stint at DU has been touched and been benefited by this great man and I am no exception. While his musical generosity is well known, he was equally generous in other ways. As there are too many memories, I note a couple that are not related directly to his performances or his role as a music organizer. His contribution to Delhi music in these areas are well known.

1. My college was close to his home (in the DU staff quarters) so he was kind enough to allow me to drop of my violin if I had to go to a program after college. Often he would ask "Do you have any important classes in college today? If not, why don't we practice a bit today?" On many an occasion, the rigors of academia were sacrificed for the rigors of raga. One session I specially remember was a Nattakuranji ragam he sang for over 30 minutes. His wife Kanaka mami was still alive then and after the class she wished the session was recorded that day because she had never heard him sing the ragam like that before! He sang the song Naa Chei Vidavakura (Nattakuranji) me and another student of his. Such was his generosity. How lucky am I for that experience!

2. As students we would look forward to his concerts and his insightful lectures. Equally we used to look forward to his jokes. Some of these were heavily recycled and we used to try and outguess each other on which one would get used on a given day. Even as I type these words I have a mental image of him at the door of the heavens cracking one of his favorite jokes as the Gandharvas welcome him to heaven with a ponnadai. After he was honored with a shawl and was asked to speak, his first comment would typically be "Aha, warm appreciation!" punning on the draping of the shawl. For him puns were as much porruttams as his swarams.

3. On a more poignant and musical note (this accidental pun must be Mama's doing), I share a video clip from a 1994 TRS concert in Delhi. It was sung during the centenary celebrations of my grandfather TK Jayarama Iyer, a senior musical colleague of TRS Mama. This was almost the first concert TRS sir sang after the demise of his wife Kanaka mami. In the Anupallavi Thyagaraja asks ".... Srirama, Ee Tanuvu Asthiram-ani, Ee Kali Manavalaku Enduko Baga teliaydu?” Loosely translated, the bard is asking Rama why people don’t realize how temporary this mortal body is. You will notice how beautifully TRS sir has split those lyrics to make the meaning clear. There was not a dry eye in the concert hall as he sang these lines.

As a scion of one musical torchbearer of Delhi music (my grandfather), my father wanted this to be our family’s tribute to this great musician and fellow Delhi-ite for all he brought to our lives.

Enduko Baga Teliyadu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22NZ7aKzG8

Vocal: Sri TRS
Violin – Vid. VSK Chakrapani
Mridangam – Vid. Dr. TKVS Mani
Sitting behind is Vid. Delhi Muthukumar.

Sincerely,
KVS Vinay

balakk

Post by balakk »

Thanks rasaali/KVS Vinay for that wonderful video!

Does that krithi actually start on the tara sthayi Ga?
Very few people have that kind of bell-like, crystal-clear, rich and baritone voice. The only other person who comes to mind is BMK. Beautiful rendering.

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Balakk,
TRS sir did start the krithi that way. Other than his school I''ve only heard Pantula rama sing and it does not start this way and it is also bit different in TKG's book.

TRS mama's students can comment better on this choice but as I recall, he chose this because it seemed to be a good starting point and there are relatively few songs starting at the upper Ga and, more importantly, the high notes gave a sense of questioning/pleading tone that the lyric seems to convey.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vinay
Lovely lovely thank you. Interestingly i just googled to find out this krithi "ENDUGO BAGHA " to find references of TRS mAmA and Dr BMK singing it .Other links point to few other artists who came very much after shri TRS. Long time back i made a mention in a long post about how TRS mAma polishes unheard krithis of popular composers .I am not sure if any one else prior to TRS mAmA sang this and more importantly may be there was a zero recordings . As the camera zooms over the audience , one can see audiences of all kinds of sizes and with swara kalpana just getting on , it was a real master card moment.

TRS mAmA was a local artist but certainly he was there in Delhi to spread slowly the international footprint of CM - not just with lovely students and rasikas like you - but also helping all other musicians in spreading the goodness to Delhi Political bAbus.

Also considering that mAmA was born on Sept 1929 , mAmA was 65 years when he sang in 1994, I am amazed at his creativity and vigour at that age.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rasaali,
Thank you for your post and the clip. What you say about the circumstances--his singing soon after his wife's demise, makes T's kriti even more poignant.

Rajesh,
This is the first time I hear this song. That 'gA' draws you in immediately. Was your periappa there at this concert?
Last edited by arasi on 08 Oct 2013, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Still I remember the golden-era I had experienced with him in 1961-62 when I was working in the Govt. College of Music Dance, Vijayawada. He was far more senior than me in each and every respect. However, he was discussing music matters and also practicing along with me regularly irrespective of any holiday or working day. Daily 2 or 3 persons of Vocalists or Violinists or Mridangists were gathering at his home for regular practice and also enjoying the delicious dishes served by the very affectionate Kanakam Mami. Their two kids were also very affectionate with all of us. I can never forget those days in my life time. Even though some local jealous persons, who never practice themselves nor allow others also to practice, wantonly created some obstructions he did not care them and we continued our regular practice. In those days he very extensively traveled all over our State of Andhra Pradesh giving concerts at every nook and corner and was the sole cause in popularizing our Karnataka music more than any other person. A great and ideal person he was. amsharma

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

A rendition of TRS, I really like is - Rudrakopa Jatha Veerabhadram Asraye - Rudrapriya - Dikshitar. There are instrumental versions and TRS's vocal rendition of this krithi is superb. His Samodham Chintayami (Suddha dhanyasi) is also very good; esp. the kalpana swaras.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Msakella gAru
May I know which year Prof TRS moved out from vijayawada to delhi. Was there any change that you noticed in TRS mAmA in 60's to 70's to 80's to 90's - I have no idea how he sang in 1960's . We have a lovely 1994 rendition that vinay had posted . You must have played a lot of concerts , can you recollect anything that touched you immensely Sir- I am interested in knowing his 60's and 70's musical innings.

Arasi,
Lot of Men there look like age 60's and many of them are also having spectacles . I am kind of not sure if my periappA was there.

All,
Today the family of Prof TRS has posted an obituary in The Hindu- Prof T R Subramanyam (Sept 20, 1929 - Oct 04,2013).

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

I had never heard 'endukO bAga teliyudu' before, when sometime in the 1980s I heard Balamurali sing it after the Pancharatna renditions at the Thyagaraja Vidwat Samajam on Thyagaraja Aradhana day. MS had asked him to sing that song. Subsequently I found out that it was a very rare song and its Cutchery appearances were almost non-existent. Later I learnt that Balamurali had learnt this song from the Thillaistanam book. It starts with the tAra G. Only the Thillaistanam pupils used to sing this song. No other school of Thyagaraja knew it.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, rajeshnat, At the first instance I was there from June 61 to June 62 exactly for one year and, in that period, for more than 5 or 6 months we were practicing regularly. In those days I have accompanied him in public concerts only for a couple of times being busy with my official duties. Again, around February, 64, I was transferred to Vijayawada from Hyderabad. By that time he moved out from Vijayawada. He was always very cheerful and very active with all our friends and I didn’t particularly notice any change in him even later. Always very active, very musical, very accommodative, very inspirational, very ideal etc., etc. amsharma

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

msakella wrote: amsharma
I think rajeshnat's question is on the TRS's musical evolution over time. Did TRS's music have more the Musiri touch (Vilambaka kala) in the early 60s ?

Clearly, TRS was inspired by GNB and laya and Pallavi specialists. It will be interesting to listen to TRS's version of Mela Chakra Malika - Pranadharthihara Prabho Murare ( taught by Sabesa Iyer to Musiri and Musiri to his students) or Sree Viswanatham (Chaturdasa ragamalika).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Annamalai
Exactly my question was how shri TRS evolved over years which perhaps akella gaaru can give another shot. I see his style so much different from Musiri and at times cannot even get guru sishya connection for may of his renditions. Few renditions like TRS ananda bhairavi have indeed a musiri touch. Bottom line musiri-TRS guru-sishya connection is a thin line .

I read somewhere some time back that musiri's hero was SG kittappA . Perhaps SG kittappA touches came from musiri and settled more in TRS(real throw aspect) .

May I know who are the other gurus of TRS , apart from musiri and his manaseega obsession for shri GNB Music. We all can safely say , majority of Shri TRS music was self taught.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear annamalai, Having been born in Andhra Pradesh, a desert of music I was not that knowledgeable to know such subtle differences. Even though I was appointed as a Lecturer in Violin in 1961 I realized only after five years after my retirement that I was not a successful teacher at all. This is the state of affairs in our country. amsharma

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Rajeshnat: TRS style was more like GNB than Musiri.As you are aware our family's association with him goes back to the Mid 60's(add to that the fact that he is a Tirunelvelian studied in Hindu College etc etc!!)-so naturally our fondness for him. My father arranged his first concert in Bombay(he could not get Shanmukhananda sabha to host his performance at that time)--the organisation was Mysore Association in Matunga--of which my father was an honorary member by virtue of his total ignorance of Kannada!!!. He took the listeners by storm--he had come with a reputation of a Karnataka College Graduate in Chennai(under Musiri's tutelage(TKG and he were contemproraries always splitting competition prizes between them!!) but his breezy style and manodharmam were spell-binding. I still recall his Subramanyena Rakshitoham in Suddha Dhanyasi and he chose for kalpana swaram--Venkateswara Nama Rupena-- unusual at that time--the song itself had been popularised by DKP/DKJ before but the swara prastharam was plain.
Then in mid sixties(I think 1964) my father arranged a concert in one of the Western Suburbs(I do not recall wether it was the Khar road sabha or Goregaon sabha) . My brother who was 16/17 years--had won the MA award for best Junior Mridangist earlier-- accompanied him. TRS became the sparring partner for my brother's laya-strengthening exercises--he would not mind spending hours if the students were willing--never critical,always full of anecdotes--he made no secret of the ossified forms of pedagogy practised in Music Schools including his own Alma Mater. BMK and he enjoyed a special admiration for each other.
later on when he moved to Vijayawada(or may be he had already moved as MSKella Sharma has pointed out,he used to invite my brother in 1966/67--when my brother was doing his CA in Chennai for week-end concerts--accompanying him or some other artiste.

back to his style--he was very particular about singing the Thyagaraja kritis with the proper diction and understanding of the language and the beauty of the lyrics(learned the hard way as one of the forumites had pointed out in an earlier post). he and LGJ had tremendous regard for each other. Anytime you wanted a thoughtful incisive insight into any musician's style- you could count on TRS--Absolutely no malice or prejudice despite the fact that his frankness may have "dulled" his chances of strings of concerts at the Sabhas. It was heartening to see that in the last 25 to 30 years(after he settled in Chennai) he was such a benevolent person in terms of sharing his knowledge and encouraging initiative.During the December season his ubiquitous presence in the lec dems--be it MA or KGS or Parthasarathy Swami sabha--were very educative and revealed the childlike curiosity and passion that he displayed even when his infirmity limited his physical efforts but could not sap his mental energy .

he was one of the best Musical Raconteurs that I have been exposed to-- an anecdote about GNB.

Once when GNB visited Vijayawada for a concert the Andhra host--a friend of TRS who was in Vijayawada at that time--entertained both GNB and TRS with a lunch--a typical Andhra tasty fare but "generously-loaded spices"--although musicians in general liked spicy food, this was slightly above the "charts" I believe.

The host anxious to know how GNB liked the food, asked him in coarse Tamil(Tamil Nattu Sappattukkum Andhra Sappattukkum enna vidyasam--translated--- what does GNB see -- the difference between TN cousine and Andhra cousines?).

GNB: In one type of cuisine "Nakkile Thanni varum and in the other cuisine Kannile Thanni Varum(in one cuisine your mouth will be watery and in the other your eyes would be watery!!!). Diplomat that GNB was he did not specify which cuisine belonged to which category in his assessment!!!.

Last but not least he has been a true and longstanding friend of our family--he did the summation @ my father's Centenary celebrations @ KGS on Aug 4. When we offered to send him a car to Anna Nagar he said "No need-- for KSM's function I am part of the family not a guest!!-- a truly magnanimous man who gave more to Music and Rasikas than the other way around.

May his soul rest in peace!!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I have noticed some similarity of TK Rangachari's niraval pattern in his performance.
Thanjavooran
08 10 2013

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

I read the homages and tributes to the Late Sangita Kala Acharya Prof TRS Sir.
TRS used to visit us and meet SSRao and discuss various aspects of CM. I fondly recall, middle aged TRS was advised to correct his delivery by closing the teeth- recognized as a gayaka dosha - damshtaka - giving peculiar reed sound. TRS took the advise and tried his best to avoid. The results are public knowledge. Besides Pallavi singing, he also attached equal importance to the other manodharma aspect- neraval singing.
Honestly paying homage and tributes has become the ritualistic. Artist get real satisfaction when the rasikas give opportunity to perform and to exhibit their vidwath and attainments. We do not care for the artists, except for the popular, during their life time to give adequate opportunities but join encore in offering homages and tributes-meaningless to the departed maestro. Can we correct this trend and find ways and means to offer opportunities to the living maestros - living incognito as a real homage and tributes to all the departed maestros?

munirao2001

Suryaprakash

Post by Suryaprakash »

I have heard from senior musicians that in the 70s , Shri.TRS mama used to perform in the Music Academy and it would be full house everytime. The audience would be simply mesmerised by the way he sang dhattu swarams in dhuritha kaalam. Borrowing the term from Ravikiran ji, it was "totally fresh" even as it was strictly classical. His conviction for sahitya suddham, especially for that composed in Telugu was unshakeable. His RTPs have been trend setters with a lot of interplay with swaraksharams (for which he was the Master). He once told me that RTP must have all the technical ingredients ingrained but should sound like a ghazal to a lay listener. What a brilliant conception! The ever encouraging, ever positive TRS mama's demise is a monumental loss for the Music World and a personal void for me which can never be filled.

jayachAmarAja

Post by jayachAmarAja »

rasaali wrote:Dear Friends,

For me this was a very personal loss. TRS mama was a gurusthanam to me.

Even as I type these words I have a mental image of him at the door of the heavens cracking one of his favorite jokes as the Gandharvas welcome him to heaven with a ponnadai. After he was honored with a shawl and was asked to speak, his first comment would typically be "Aha, warm appreciation!" punning on the draping of the shawl. For him puns were as much porruttams as his swarams.

3. On a more poignant and musical note (this accidental pun must be Mama's doing), I share a video clip from a 1994 TRS concert in Delhi. It was sung during the centenary celebrations of my grandfather TK Jayarama Iyer, a senior musical colleague of TRS Mama. This was almost the first concert TRS sir sang after the demise of his wife Kanaka mami. In the Anupallavi Thyagaraja asks ".... Srirama, Ee Tanuvu Asthiram-ani, Ee Kali Manavalaku Enduko Baga teliaydu?” Loosely translated, the bard is asking Rama why people don’t realize how temporary this mortal body is. You will notice how beautifully TRS sir has split those lyrics to make the meaning clear. There was not a dry eye in the concert hall as he sang these lines.

As a scion of one musical torchbearer of Delhi music (my grandfather), my father wanted this to be our family’s tribute to this great musician and fellow Delhi-ite for all he brought to our lives.

KVS Vinay
Thank you for the reminisces about TRS Mama and also sharing this GEM of a kriti. Such matchless compositions which would have remained in texts alone have thankfully been preserved by stalwarts like Mama. As you said, Mama's rendition of the anupallavi (and entire kriti) is so clear, and brings out the meaning so forcefully. Thank you !!

Sridhar

suma

Post by suma »

Heartfelt Condolenses!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

balakk wrote:Thanks rasaali/KVS Vinay for that wonderful video!

Does that krithi actually start on the tara sthayi Ga?
Very few people have that kind of bell-like, crystal-clear, rich and baritone voice. The only other person who comes to mind is BMK. Beautiful rendering.
Smt. Vasundhara Rajagopal is one of the contemporary artistes who sings it in the same manner (probably imbibed from TRS).

msakella

Post by msakella »

TRS is a very highly successful performer and also a very highly successful teacher. We have thousands of successful performers but there is no substitute for TRS. amsharma

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

There is a CD collection (4 CDs, 1 set) published by Swathi Soft Solutions in which Prof. TRS teaches Swaras, RTP, Alapanas etc. I have personally found those lessons invaluable. Listening to those CDs is a great way to spend your commute time to offce.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

It was in 1973 that I first heard TRS. The concert was in the 3-5 pm slot at the Music academy. The hall was packed. What a concert it was! I still remember his singing Gamanashrama elaborately (pari pUrna kama) and sAlaka bhairavi (tyAgarAjEna saMrakshitO(a)haM ). The highlight of course was the beautifully built pallavi in tOdi (ma ni dha ni dhA ni sarvam mAdhavan seyal). We left the hall wondering why this brilliant artiste was still in the 3pm slot.
We will miss him.