Prof. TRS SIR PASSED AWAY

Remembering musicians of the recent past
msakella

Re: Prof. TRS SIR PASSED AWAY

Post by msakella »

That is why I wrote in one of my previous posts that he is the true-Sangitakalanidhi in many respects. amsharma

anandmurty

Post by anandmurty »

That Enduko Baga Teliyadu was a gem. I've heard another version by Pantula Rama (breezy and lovely to hear with a sprightly chittaswaram) but this one blows me away. The question in the Pallavi comes through strongly, makes me think, just the way the composer intended.

This is my favourite TRS track - from the archives of Rajan Parrikar - no other rendition of this song makes me sway as much on hearing 'anandamaye dayalo!'

http://www.parrikar.org/music/kalyani/trs.mp3

RIP dear maestro.

pperumal

Post by pperumal »

A colossal lose to the music world.
May Perumal grant him moksha!!! My deepest condolences.

Warm Regards,
Padmabha Perumal.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In the last friday review of THE HINDU , it was mentioned that a special homage function is going to be held in honour of Prof TRS on Oct 16th,Wednesday. The function is held at ramana kendra, mylapore ,which is behind PS high school closer to the sai baba temple . The speakers for the homage are Smt R Vedavalli , Shri KS kalidas, PSN and Cleveland shri vv sundaram.Also padmaseshadri sisters and salem gayathri Venkatesan(they are disciples of prof trs) are slated to sing post the tributes.

The function starts at 05:30 PM-Wednesday-Oct 16th, Would be grateful if some one posts in particular the speech proceedings.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The hindu coverage of homage to Prof TRS
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 243774.ece

If any one else in our forum attended this homage event, they can add more content

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Respected Rasikas,

As we continue to mourn Prof. TRS's passing away, we thought we would make our yearnings more meaningful by sharing a beautiful and vintage (1972) concert with you that he performed in "Parvathi", Mysore on 2 April 1972, during the Ramanavami time.

The veterans performing with him are Vid. V.Sethuramiah (Violin) and Vid. Tanjore Upendran on the Mridangam.
Unfortunately we are not sure who was the Vidwan that day on the Khanjira.

Please welcome once again to http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Respectfully,

CPBlogTeam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CpBlog Team,
I have heard all the songs though I am not sure if it is indeed from this parvathi source . You also gave a very subtle tribute not just to TRS but also to LGJ as TRS sings the last thillAnA of LGJ in rAgashree. Shri TRS was the first to sing as a vocalist the thillAna of shri LGJ (the dEsh one),I heard that in one of TRS recent speeches after LGJ passed away.

One can see Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam originality in the way he starts with malahari krithi,he just takes off exceptionally well.

By any chance if you have more parvathi sources of TRS , please also upload the same as time moves on.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,

The download drop box link of the speech of late Sri TRS at our Rasikas’ forum during the concert of Sri P.B.Srirangachari
Held at my home during 2007 is given below as homage to Sri TRS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpxs07omyuxc1 ... FORUM.divx

S.NAGESWARAN.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nageswaran Sir held the concert in his house, the review of the same concert of PB SrirangAchari is here in in the forum. Every concert day for anyone to stay till 9pm to 10 pm and then go to his home to AnnaNagar - perhaps the only soul who is travelling 40 kms up and down to hear a concert. TRS mAmA is 77 when he speaks in the video snippet in 2007.

On a side note , I think I am asking in the video snippet where I suggest prof TRS mAmA to give a lecture and roughly a year from then there was another lecture by prof trs on the status of telugu prior to K gayathri concert.

Also in the video snippet the person next to TRS mAmA is K Ramaraj who is a vaggeyakkarA who also passed away few years back.

Nageswaran Sir/ Shri Kulkarni,
This video snippet is a real treasure Sir capturing Prof TRS . For many concerts bit later we discontinued video for the sake of budget, but to capture musicians like Prof TRS speaking in video is a real real treasure.Thank you both - now the value of video is priceless.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 20 Oct 2013, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well said Rajesh and thanks Nageswaran.
These are Rasika Gems - unforgettable!

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

I had posted this on FB. Thought I should share it here as well.
I've never had a chance to say this to you in person on how much I admired your music despite meeting you so many times. Your concerts, lec dems and speeches were really useful for not just music student but for rasikas like me too. I cherish listening to each one of your speech on GNB. They did help me a great deal when I wrote my book.

I couldn't stop laughing when you read my book and asked me if I was interested in doing a PhD. Quite unfortunate that people remember you more for the PhD that you guided than for all the musical achievements you scaled over several decades.

To me you are 'the' master of kalpana swarams. I'm sure that even decades later your poruthams will continue to create waves among listeners. Your pallavis are deceptive. One day i will grow to appreciate enough of what you had done with them.

In the limited opportunities I got to interact one on one with you, you flooded me with anecdotes and insights - some controversial, some hilarious and some stunningly profound. Despite not agreeing with you on many things that you said, I knew each and every word you uttered were straight from your heart.

We will miss your presence when a young and upcoming talent takes stage. They will have to sing without your knowing nodding of the head and short and sweet speech at the end of the concert.

RIP Prof. TRS sir.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Beautiful Tribute!
He was of course the all-time master of Kalpana Swaram and a Guru par excellence

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Friends,

This is a belated note but here is a Viruttam and Tamburi Meetidava the same 1994 concert which contains the Mohanam posted earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quw2IIZfyo

Best regards,
Vinay

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

kRti - EndukO bAga teliyadu.

I heard both versions - by TRS and BMK.
While TRS sings only last caraNa, BMK sings all the three caraNas - which is indeed something not ordinarily found in multiple caraNa kRtis.
TRS finishes the song in 4 minutes (of 17 minutes) and BMK finishes - in spite of three caraNas - in 5 minutes (of 22 minutes).

This is a upadESa. The kRti is required to be sung in slow tempo. Further, if at all the kRti is to be sung, it should be sung in full so that the meaning could be properly enunciated and conveyed to the audience. In fact, each word (phrase) of this kRti needs to elaborated. Unfortunately, these considerations do not seem to matter in both cases. They are rushing through the words.

Contrast this with the rendition of kabir's poem 'sunta hai' by Kumar Gandharva posted by me in the lateral thread. What a difference in approach!

I am of the firm opinion, that Carnatic Musicians just do not bother about why vocal music is there at all.

I repeat the the view of Kumar Gandharva posted in http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22057 (Post No 14)

"Often in the musical tradition one is taught that the lyrics or the poetry of the work is subservient to the mood of the raga. That means every "khayal‟ or "bandish‟ of a raga should sound like the raga from which it is born and not have a distinct identity of its own. Kumarji was among one of the few people who dared to challenge this fixity. For him every lyrical form had its own life and needed to be honored for its own sake, and not alone the sake of the raga."

Vain expectation!

narayan

Post by narayan »

Dear Sri Govindan,
When you say "if at all the krti is to be sung ...", I hope you don't mean that it is better not to sing the krti at all unless it meets the standards you have set out. By that token, very few Tyagaraja songs should be sung by anyone, I think. I am happy at least to have heard some version of this remarkable song in Mohanam, and at least some like me will look for this song and mull over it a little, thanks to TRS. Please do point us to better versions of this song and at least I am game to try to listen to them if I get the chance. I must admit to being one of the uninitiated in the matter of lyrics. I look mainly for raga variations and some mood created by the music, pretty much in the abstract. This itself is enough to keep me going for now. It is true that I may be settling for too little, and must demand more. But given my own limitations, it will take some more time to do that.

TRS's Anyayamu Seyakura, pointed by rajeshnat and others, is a fine example of singing, with leisurely pace, beautiful sangatis and a build up of the caranam conveying the mood of the song (as I understand it). My indirect contact with TRS was enough to stimulate and inspire, in more than one way. I used to know a couple of people who were associated with him in Delhi, and even second hand, the effect he had was considerable. The few times I managed to hear him live (maybe four times, all told) were all intellectually memorable experiences, and now with the recordings that are available, and his students, I trust his positive influence will continue. A remarkable musician indeed.

CHANDRU1955

Post by CHANDRU1955 »

A wonderful personality. Despite his advancing age, he used to visit concerts daily with his TATA Nano
Car.

Even on the fateful day, as usual, he attended the coaching class in Music Academy on Friday the 4th Oct
2013. Very next day, I heard the concert of Malladi Brothers in Music Academy. The brothers said they owe
a lot to TRS.

As usual, he was not given any award.

His rasikas may represent to Central Govt. to confer at least Padma Bhushan to him poshthmously.

CHANDRU1955

Post by CHANDRU1955 »

The condolence meeting was organised in Ramana Kendra.

Music Academy, where TRS worked, should have organized this meeting, but didn't.
It shows Music Academy's original colour highly biased.

CHANDRU1955

Post by CHANDRU1955 »

rajeshnat wrote:In the last friday review of THE HINDU , it was mentioned that a special homage function is going to be held in honour of Prof TRS on Oct 16th,Wednesday. The function is held at ramana kendra, mylapore ,which is behind PS high school closer to the sai baba temple . The speakers for the homage are Smt R Vedavalli , Shri KS kalidas, PSN and Cleveland shri vv sundaram.Also padmaseshadri sisters and salem gayathri Venkatesan(they are disciples of prof trs) are slated to sing post the tributes.

The function starts at 05:30 PM-Wednesday-Oct 16th, Would be grateful if some one posts in particular the speech proceedings.

Music Academy should have organised a special homage for TRS. But it didn't despite TRS worked there. The
Academy showed its original colour.

Mist Melody

Post by Mist Melody »

Great soul!! wonderful musician

varsha

Post by varsha »

a sparkler from the past .Is it Akellaji on the violin ?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Priya sisters sang Enduko Baga Teliyadu in their 2013 Dec Jaya tv Margazhi Maha Utsavam concert.
They sang it very well but only upto the Anupallavi was telecasted and they sang it in TRS bani only and also they did a very involved emotional neraval also.

This was the first time i heard the song and after that i searched and found BMKs version of the same song which did not appeal to me at all after hearing the TRS style singing by Priya sisters.

Fortunately later in youtube in found a video of TRS himself singing the song which was great !