Savithri Sathyamurthy is no more

Remembering musicians of the recent past
mohan

Savithri Sathyamurthy is no more

Post by mohan »

Violinist and guru, Smt Savithri Sathyamurthy passed away this morning in Bangalore.
She accompanied many leading musicians and was guru to many modern stars like P. Unnikrishnan and RK Shriramkumar. Sincere condolences to her family, friends and students.

Here is a writeup about her from a few years ago http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/02/23/stor ... 250300.htm

PUNARVASU

Re: Savithri Sathyamurthy is no more

Post by PUNARVASU »

Very sad to hear this. May her soul rest in peace. Condolences to her family and students. She was a great guru.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to her family and students. May her soul RIP!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sincere condolences to her family, friends and disciples. Indeed a sad loss to the CM community.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

My deepest Condolences to her family and students. May her soul RIP!
Thanjavooran
03 03 2014

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Condolences to her family and sishya parampara.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

As an old Mumbaite and a close friend of the family(Savitri has accompanied my sister for concerts in Bombay in the early fifties)- I offer--on behalf of the members of my family-- my heartfelt condolences to the family.

Savitri lived in Matunga not far from our house-- so that there would be frequent practice sessions.Her late husband Mr.Satyamurthy was a great but quiet supporter of her music).Another unifying factor was my sister also learned from KVN and Savitri's influence on the vocalists she accompanied was immense-- she epitomised Rajamanikkam Pillai's concise and mellifluos style-Mumbai artistes in the Fifties and Sixties(Savitri,Bombay sisters--Aruna Sairam came later) did not get their due recognition in the Chennai Sabhas--yet Savitri persevered and established herself as a great teacher in Chennai.

Her daughter Anuradha trained by KVN is an excellent singer and I have heard KVN speaking highly of her skills(KVN was a tough taskmaster in his own gentle ways!!) and although I have not heard her in the US I have heard of her excellent teaching skills in Houston which I presume she still lives!!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Yes MKR. Anuradha still lives in Houston. You forgot to mention that she is an excellent dancer as well. I have known her from the 70s when the family lived in Toronto.

MV

Post by MV »

Savithri Sathyamurthy or Chabbi as we used to fondly call her was neighbour, family friend and in a way my first music teacher. I learnt the basics on her lap, so to speak. Our apartments were opposite each other and we literally lived with our doors open, wandering in and out at will. The last time I saw her was more than 10 years ago when I was visiting my parents in Mumbai and she dropped in for a visit as well. I will always remember her as this lively, bright person with her catchy laugh. The world loses one more special person, musician this year. RPI Chabbi

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

My deepest condolences.I have heard her accompanying Dr.S.R in many concerts in the 80's and also others.Even sAketarAman learned from her initially,I think.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Condolences to students, family, friends.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

My heartfelt condolences.

I have been present in many of her teaching sessions. I had observed and marvelled how great a teacher she was. Her devotion to Dr S R and his teaching methods were remarkable and sincere.

Her students will really miss her.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Condolences to the family.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

A writeup of vidushi savithri sathyamurthy by Geetha Ramanathan Bennett

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 756653.ece

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

She is accompanying Dr. S ramanathan here...

Concert 129-Dr S Ramanathan with
Smt_SAvithri_SathyamUrthy-Violin
Dr.Bennett-Mrudhanga

http://www.mediafire.com/view/bdyfczn1r ... nathan.mp3

chitravina ravikiran

Post by chitravina ravikiran »

Unbelievably, I saw this only just now. I pray that her soul may rest in peace. Savithri ji only performed with me once but used to regularly call me as soon as she heard a radio / tv broadcast of mine. She also shared a lot about how she learnt many OVK compositions directly from Shri Needamangalam Krishnamurthy Bhagavatar during his visits to Bombay. She had taught a few of these to disciples like Shri Unnikrishnan.