Flautist Dr. Prapancham Sita Ram is no more

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Anaconda

Flautist Dr. Prapancham Sita Ram is no more

Post by Anaconda »

Got the news from a family member. Flautist Dr. Prapancham Sita Ram, a disciple of Mali, died in Atlanta today (1st June 2014) while on a visit to U.S. Only last year, we were at his live concert in Boston. My heartfelt condolences to his family. May his soul rest in peace.

PUNARVASU

Re: Flautist Dr. Prapancham Sita Ram is no more

Post by PUNARVASU »

Very sad to hear this. A great loss to the music world. May his soul rest in peace.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

A great loss to the world of music. May his soul rest in peace.

Condolences to his family and students.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A very great loss! May his soul RIP. My deepest condolences to his family and disciples.
Thanjavooran
02 06 2014

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sad, indeed! That too, he was away from home!

A shock to the family, no doubt.

Condolences to the family, friends and students.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Condolences to the family of the artist.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Heartfelt condolences to the family, near and dear. amsharma

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to the family! May his soul RIP!

munirao2001

Dr.Prapancham Seetharam is no more

Post by munirao2001 »

I got a call yesterday from the neighbor of Dr.Prapanchm Seetharam, acclaimed flutist and scholar died due to massive heart attack at Atlanta Airport, en route to his son's residence in US of A, yesterday early hours. He was T.R.Mahalingam's disciple. He was a self made man. He won AIR national competition. He joined AIR as staff artiste in the Ochestra of Ashoka Hotel, Delhi. Later held various posts, including that of Director of programmes. He was also dean of Music department in Padmavathy Arts & Science College, Tirupathi. All the great maestro accompaniments had accompanied him. He had also given jugalbandi concerts with Hindustani stalwarts. His composition for AIR had won Asian award. Music Academy had bestowed TTK award for meritorious service for the cause of Karnatik Music, last year. He had won several other awards in his long musical career spanning six decades.
Our family had a very close association with his family for well over five decades. He had also learnt few compositions from Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao, my father and guru.

munirao2001

mahavishnu

Re: Dr.Prapancham Seetharam is no more

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences. I had the pleasure of listening to him on a number of occasions, most recently a couple of years ago in Toronto.
A very warm and unassuming person.

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

Dr Sitaram was senior colleague and a friend.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

badari

Post by badari »

My sincere condolances to his family.

Praying that his family gains strenght to handle the loss of the beloved one.

tkb

Post by tkb »

Wonderful person and a great Musician! Pranams to this Great Human!

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Deep Condolences.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I guesss he being a student of Flute mali was bit difficult to be noticed . Also in the last 10 to 15 years one usually hears one prominent flautist performing in chennai thats it. I wish I had heard him . Nice writeup of him
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 151605.ece

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

rajeshnat
Prapancham performed with great maestros accompanying him-TNK/LGJ/MSG/MC/AR /Other Maestros and PMI/PR/TKM/USR/VR/DMR/YVR/Other Maestros. Also he performed Jugalbandi concerts with Ustads/Pandits. He truly lived up to his family name of Prapanchm with concert tours all over the Globe.
Prapancham received only TTK Award from MA, not Sangita Kalanidhi or Sangita Kala Acharya despite his services to the cause of KM as a performer, teacher, research scholar and broadcaster, last year! His son and disciple Prapancham Prasanna, CA informed me that he was also given the concert in Dec season by MA.
DD telecast, perhaps his last recording, his concert with MC and USR accompanying him as a tribute.
In the report you have referred, a mention was also made about his gurukulavasa training from Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao, my Guru and Father. My father, serving at AIR and knowing the Great Maestro Mali Sir, arranged Prapancham's study under the guidance of Mali Sir. I am full of memories of my association with this Maestro well over five decades.

munirao2001

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is a recording of his inspired and fun performance of Raghuvamsa Sudha from April of last year: ( please excuse some audience cross talk in the beginning! )
https://soundcloud.com/dabbler126/prapa ... vamsasudha

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

A friend and I were studying together for a mathematics paper during our college days. The exam was slated for the next day. My friend decided that he only had an outside chance of passing the exam, and that any further study that evening would be futile. No, I think he was feeling confident that he would score 35 marks - the minimum required for passing the exam, and the horizon of hope for the academically backward. 35 was his target. If you could somehow manage 32 or 33, so the reasoning went, the examiner would magically wring the other 2 or 3 marks out of your script and dispatch you to freedom. Realistically, he was targeting 32 or 33.

Then, assessing the situation in about a micro second, he announced that he was heading to a Prapancham Sita Ram concert which was being held nearby, and waving away my dire predictions of doom and gloom with a guffaw, headed straight to the concert. I think he sat there the full three hours. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

He passed the exam with the aforesaid minimum mark.

On the day the results were announced, he said to me loudly in Kannada "Gandaantara tolagitu" ("Tragedy averted")!