Suguna Purushothaman, RIP

Remembering musicians of the recent past
harimau

Suguna Purushothaman, RIP

Post by harimau »

With great regret I announce that Smt Suguna Purushothaman, noted musician and composer, passed away around noon today.

CRama

Re: Suguna Purushothaman, RIP

Post by CRama »

Oh God! Can not believe. Always lively, jovial and a treasure house of knowledge. I remember the numerous concerts and lec dems I have heard and a fine composer and Guru. May God give the strength to her family members and disciples to bear this loss. May her soul rest in peace.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

So sad to hear that . A great musician and an extraordinary composer and teacher .

Harimau
If possible can you pass the address where we can pass our homage.

cienu

Post by cienu »

A huge loss to the music world.
Mami was such a gracious lady.
We will miss her cheerful presence.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Very sad indeed.

Mami's sense of humour, her authoritative musical knowledge expressed always with the faint trace of a smile on her lips can never be forgotten. Condolences to her family and the entire music world.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Very sad. Deep condolences. A great loss indeed.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Very sad, and shocking! Was it sudden? Condolences to her family, friends and students.
The Gods will now get ready to hear her pallavis in tAlmAlika and naDai mAlika!

music1

Another Great Loss

Post by music1 »

Smt. Suguna Purushothaman is no more. One of the finest artists from the Musiri school. A Great Loss.

thanjavooran

Re: Another Great Loss

Post by thanjavooran »

A very shocking news. A great loss. RIP
Thanjavooran
25 02 2015

Thalaivarda

Post by Thalaivarda »

Sad. Rest in peace.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sad news. She would have contributed even more to CM had she been granted more years on earth. A special vidushi with pANDityam, grace and imagination. I thought she was recovering well after her illness...

CM indeed has lost a precious vidushi. Condolences to her family, students and friends. I can't but think of the lovely concerts the two Sugunas gave--particularly the one at Cleveland.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

What a great loss! Sincere condolences.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

What a shocking news.... My sincere condolences to her family , friends and rasikas....

cacm

Post by cacm »

REAL LOSS!.......GREAT PERSON& MUSICIAN. WITH HER "CLASSMATE" TRS-EXPERT PALLVI PERSON- who told me when I asked him how to introduce her in CLEVELAND told me THEY (LIKES OF GOVINDARAO & SEVERAL MUSICIANS) WERE SCARED OF HER PALLAVI& RYTHMN EXPERTISE. I introduced her exactly that way!If TRS SAID THAT I SAID I AM NOT FIT TO INTRODUCE HER.Fortunately she has transferred her expertise to K.Gayathri................

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sad to know. Her address is given in Kutchery.com as No. 46, 3rd Street, Abhiramapuram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600018
India

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I am very sad to hear this.

sympathy and condolences to her friend, colleague and co-performer, Suguna Varadachary, to her family, students and rasikas. Her students have had hope in their hearts for her recovery whenever I have enquired: it was not to be.

She sang for one of the Oli Chamber Concerts, without amplification two or three years ago. Her voice was so pure, gentle, and yet never hard to hear. That will be my enduring, and treasured memory of her. I wish I was a real rasika and could recall what she sang.

For the last few years I have had what I call "my trinity" of favourite, extra-special, artists. Now one of them is gone. I feel the loss.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sruti Magazine Blog...
After a brave and prolonged battle, vidushi Suguna Purushothaman succumbed to cancer at Chennai, today. One of the best known disciples of Musiri Subramania Iyer (as well as Semmangudi Srinivasier), she was one of the most loved and sought after guru, besides being an accomplished concert artist and musicologist of a high order. She was known for her happy temperament, great sense of humour and ready wit.

More...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Very sad to hear the news. I still remember her concert I attended in 2009 . Condolences to her family, friends and disciples

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to her family, friends and students! May her soul RIP!

jayachAmarAja

Post by jayachAmarAja »

A great viduShi and person. So sad to hear this news. Condolences to her family, students, and rasikas.

mvishwanathan

Post by mvishwanathan »

Great loss.I thought she was recovering well after seeing her lec dem in Academy with packed audience.
Btw, Her address is in West circular road,Mandaveli - near Kalyan Nagar association.

tkb

Post by tkb »

A great loss to the Carnatic Music Community, in particular for people who are keen learners!

She was a great Guru, a complete Musician and a humble person!

malavi

Post by malavi »

It is really ashocking news. i have known her since she was a scholarship student of Musiri mama.A very knowledjable musician,a great teacher and a wonderful human being. Recently on sivaratri day K Gayatri sang a ragamalika on panchabootha stalangal in five ragas composed by her Guru.it was a very nice one of smt.suguna s compositions.
My heartfelt condolences to her family, students and friends.May her soul rest in peace.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

What an irreparable loss to Carnatic music :(. A musicians' musician for sure. She was a perfect role model for other artists, carrying the weight of her great vidwat so lightly, gently, gracefully and with great humor, making it all look deceptively accessible. Deepest condolences to her family, students, musicians and rasikas.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Echoing the sentiments of the Rasikas here--my late father always used to tell me how much she has imbibed the Musiri Tradition and imparted to her students.She was to attend the Cleveland Aradhana last year but could not because of her illness but she had composed music for the dance dramas ably sung by her disciple K.Gayathri.She held her own against her batchmates in Carnatic College--TKG,TRS et al--the finest class in the College's history.
Most importantly she was a great teacher and her demos were always illuminating and thought-provoking.
A great loss to the Music World.

Condolences to the family and her disciples.

hamsadhwani

Post by hamsadhwani »

I have had the fortune of learning from maami who was not just a guru, but also a great mentor, guide and one of the kindest people I have known. She will be missed by all of us greatly.