Passing away of Visalam-M.S.Amma's loyal help

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Ramasubramanian M.K

Passing away of Visalam-M.S.Amma's loyal help

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I learnt from Cienu's posting on the app that Mrs. Visalam. the lifelong caretaker of MSAmma passed on. She must have been in her Mid eighties.
I saw her last August at the MSS centenary celebrations in Kamaraj Arangam in Chennai. Cheenu and family made sure that VISALM got special recognition and that was the FIRST time I have ever seen Visalam mount the stage other than when she strummed the Tambura for MSAMM's concerts. She seemed to be in good health and we exchanged lots of nostalgic notes about her life and MSAmma.

VISALAM was one person in that Household(she served the family for over 60 years) who never bragged about her association or used her closeness for personal gain or sought help for her relatives or friends. She was so affectionate and duty-bound.In fact without exaggeration I can say she was the ONLY person who never incurred the wrath of MAMA(TS). Mama always used to joke,"Visalam,you better come with us when we pass away because who else can we depend on for reminding us about medication schedule, food restrictions etc. Mama always used her as an example to taunt many of us when we failed in assignments given to us by Mama--he would say "You all should take a lesson. from Visalam.

When Amma,in her last 2 years was enfeebled by Diabetes and failing health she had lots of difficulties in swallowing food. Visalam was the only person who could patiently and gently "coax" MSAmma and no matter how long it took she would patiently ensure that MSAMMa had the minimum intake. Even the most adored Florence Nightingales of the World could not match Visalam's meticulous and totally undemonstrative,selfless. care.
MSAmma in turn would be equally considerate and treated her the same way as she treated Radha and Vijaya.

The many times I spent in Kalki Gardens I used to wonder when Visalam ate or slept. She never rested knew MSAmma's routine well-after the bath the Sambrani and other accoutrements for drying the care etc will be meticulously laid out. Even when there were milling crowds in MSAmma's room with visitors chatting away unmindful of the routines that MSAmma had to observe Visalam would very deftly take care of them without hurting the sentiments of the visitors by her gentle reminders about what MSAmma has to do next. Most "gatekeepers" of celebrities that I have seen would be so possessive and start playing favorites. Visalam would have none of that.

She was only a couple of years older than me and she would always enquire about me and my family. Ofcourse she had tremendous respect for my late mother and my mother likewise would get regular "health bulletins" from Visalam everyday. Sometimes Visalam would call my mother to say MSAmma is not eating and that my Mother should give MSAMMa call. My mother,unresrained or uninhibited by the stature of the celebrity she is dealing with will deliver a stinging sermon to MSAmma over the phone saying she should not make life difficult for Visalam and no matter how difficult she feels in swallowing she should keep the "caretakers' concerns in her mind!! On one such occasion I happened to overhear the tele conversation, I gently chided my Mother for the way she was talking to MSAmma reminding her that she is talking to a BHARAT RATHNA to which my mother shoots back, So what she got the Bharath rathna only recently, I have known her long before that!!

I am truly saddened by the death of a great soul who epitomized unwavering,tirelesst dedication, loyalty as a member of the KALKI Gardens family. It would be no exaggeration to say that both Mama and Mami's lives were enriched and prolonged by Visalam,'s. tender, loving care for over 6 decades.

MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE

rshankar

Re: Passing away of Visalam-M.S.Amma's loyal help

Post by rshankar »

Thank you, Ramesh mama for that touching tribute. May her soul Rest In Peace. My heartfelt condolences to her family and friends, especially, Cienu, his mother and family.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

May god take noble soul in his lotus feet and free her from rebirth. She will continue her service to ms amma and mama in heaven, as per mama's wish...

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

Condolences.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A shining example of selfless souls. She is in heaven now.

Ramesh,
Thanks for your post :) I was happy to see her on stage being honored once before, at the release of the book MS and Radha by Gowri Ramnarayanan. A number of rasikAs who were there may recall the moment...