The Music Academy Journals: 1929 to present

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
vasanthakokilam

The Music Academy Journals: 1929 to present

Post by vasanthakokilam »

The Music Academy Journal from 1929 is available on line. It is very interesting to read. I find it gives me a good perspective of the origins of some of the methods and practices adopted by the Music Academy over the years and how things have changed over the years. And it is fun to read what the famous personalities of the past said and how they interacted with each other.

http://issuu.com/themusicacademy

I have started reading from the first journal available, from 1929. (http://issuu.com/themusicacademy/docs/ma_journals_1929).
These are scanned copies of the journals themselves but they are very much readable. The coverage of the conference itself is quite entertaining and in some cases informative. For example, we have discussed in our forum various topics like "Can a song in Trisra Matya be sung in Adi?", "What is madyadi thala" etc. In the first conference, these are some of the topics discussed. It is interesting to see how Sri. T.S. Sabesa Iyer answers the first question. For the second question, though we hear people categorically say that Madyadi tala songs are 1/2 eduppu songs, back in 1929, the answers were not that definite.

Please use this thread to discuss the topics discussed in the journals of the past 90+ years. Mention the year and the page number. You can get a link for each year's journal and so where ever possible provide the link to the specific journal.

If a particular topic that started with the journal grows to be a big discussion, we can move them to a separate thread. So for now, use this thread to discuss any topics mentioned in the journal.

(These scanned copies are hosted in such a way that you have to 'turn' the pages. Hope members find it easy to navigate through the pages. It is not difficult. The default size may be too smal. So click on the page to zoom out. You may have to then move the page with the mouse to see the various portions of the page when it is fully zoomed out. If you have any difficulties with reading, please post here and someone should be able to guide you through.)

mohan

Re: The Music Academy Journal: 1929 to present

Post by mohan »

Excellent stuff ... I wish I had more free time to read all this!
An index of articles from the Music Academy journals to 2009 is available at http://www.musicresearch.in/categorydet ... p?imgid=26

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

How can you extract a piece and post for discussion?

vasanthakokilam

CML: If it is not a lot, you can try typing it in. Provide the link to the journal and the page number for context.
But if it is a big chunk,then take a screen capture, crop it with a program ( like paint on Windows ),upload it to tinypics.com and post the link. I know it is not the most user friendly set of steps.

You can try some OCR programs. Google actually makes their OCR software that they use for Google Books available as part of Google Drive/Google Docs. Download the document( you need to create an issuu account which is free ). Then upload it to Google Drive(https://drive.google.com/#my-drive). In the Google docs upload settings, check 'convert uploaded files to Google Docs format'. Then you can open it and try the 'copy and paste'. But it does not work on images with unclear text. My experience with it for these scanned journal pages have not been good. But you can give it a try.

cmlover

Re: The Music Academy Journals: 1929 to present

Post by cmlover »

VK
Boy! It is complicated.

vasanthakokilam

CML: I agree.

The 1929 issue is short enough that we can take turns to post the text by just typing it in. ( Hope that is OK from a copyright perspective, if not we will drop it ). Crowd source the OCR! It has enough material of interest to capture the moods and situations of the big music personalities of that time and the interactions among them. Those who want to volunteer, please coordinate so we can all type up a page or two at a time. It is only 40 pages.

It is not possible for the rest which are many times bigger but 1929 being the special year, it is worth having the text version of it.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

The easiest thing to do is to create an account, login and download all the journals.

http://issuu.com/themusicacademy/docs

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Ravi Sri Is it possible get the song list of the performers in Academy from 1929.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

KNV, they have not yet put up the souvenirs on their website. I have asked one of the committee members to upload the souvenirs too on their site. The souvenirs contain the programmes. The Academy library housed in the Kasturi Srinivasan hall has all the souvenir copies. You can access these there. I think they are cooperative now. If not, just say whose son you are and that you want to see/foto copy the souvenirs. I think that will do the trick.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Just remembered. K.V. Ramakrishnan of PTI, London, who was a close friend of your father was a regular attendee for many decades and he is supposed to have collected all the souvenirs methodically. You can ask his daughter Sunanda. She might be preserving them as she meticulously preserves all the recordings done by her father.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Thank You Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I am having trouble accessing the site - are these journals in english or tamizh?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

English of course..
They are in the scanned image format..

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cmlover wrote:English of course...
It was not clear - so, now it is worthwhile going to the trouble of making the links work! :-)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The link is
http://issuu.com/themusicacademy
as posted by Vk.
It works, I tested it just now...

vasanthakokilam

RaviSri wrote:The easiest thing to do is to create an account, login and download all the journals.

http://issuu.com/themusicacademy/docs
True, but CML asked about copying and pasting text here for discussion purposes. Have you found any easy way to do that? Or any of the recent ones actually in text format rather than scanned copies of the journals?