Shree Purandara dasa aradhana , Bay area CA - Saturday Jan 1

Concerts and other events related to CM.
sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Dear devotees,

All are cordially invited to celebrate the legendary Kannada dasa sahitya on the occasion of 443rd death anniversary of the great saint poet Shree Purandara Dasaru on -

Shree Purandara Dasa Aradhane festival
Sat Jan 13, 2007 11AM - 6:30 PM at Sanatan Dharma Kendra, Sunnyvale

148 artists belonging to all age groups are gathering to make this unique program possible for the 4th year under the auspices of SDK.

Please come and enjoy the spirituality, literature, culture,devotion and music all merging during one occasion.

P.S.
1. We are preparing a repertoire of pop quiz questions about the dasa sahitya for those in the audience, who would like to share the wealth of information in tidbits with everyone.

2. Lunch will be provided for nominal cost, all proceeds go to the SDK temple.

3. We renew our request for your generous donation to SDK to ease its growing pains. Cash or cheque are welcome.

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

The pop quiz will be conducted by yours truly! :-)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Feels good to hear. Good luck with the programme and your quiz.

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Thanks DRS.
I hope I will be able to record my musical homage to the saint and post it on the forum.
The inspiration comes from people like yourself who do so much to share the wealth of knowledge you have aquired, through the years, with immense hardwork.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

sridevi,

I will be there too. Let me know if I can assist in anyway.

-Ramakriya

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

sridevi wrote:I hope I will be able to record my musical homage to the saint and post it on the forum.
Please do.
The inspiration comes from people like yourself who do so much to share the wealth of knowledge you have aquired, through the years, with immense hardwork.
Not too many years behind me :D

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

drshrikaanth wrote:Not too many years behind me :D
Hmmmmm... did I make you feel very old? If it is any consolation to you , I think I am right up there with you ( or may be even ahead of you.... Just in sheer age, mind you... )
idoo Mukha stuti alla.. nimma vidwat, saraLatana kanDu beragaagiddeeni.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Hmmmmm... did I make you feel very old?
Sridevi
Yesterday was DRS's birthday.So it was a day on which he added one to his age...:P

Wish you a great time.Looking forward to the recordings.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Can we please have your blessings too....

NZ Carnatic Society will be celeberating DASA Day on 18th Feb 2006 at Fickling convention Center, Auckland, NZ from 2.00pm to 6.00pm. Little more than 50 participants are expected. Small childeren will be grouped to render one or two kritis. The three 3 resident violinsts (yours faithfully included) and 2 mridangists will be working over time in accompanying all these artists. Allocating and grouping srutis is going to be a nightmare...but at the end of the day, we will feel light hearted and blessed having tried our best in celeberating the life of this great Mahan.....Light meals will be provided at the end of the function at a nominal cost. if any of you guys are going to be in NZ ( per chance !!)...please let me know. Accomodation and food guaranteed!!!

Cheers Sam

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Sam

Good luck with the programme. I am sure you and your team are leaving no stone unturned to ensure a smooth running of the event.
We had a good turnout although we could not rope in the accompanists except for a young tabla player who played for over 3 hrs.

Sridevi

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Sridevi,
do post if you have recorded.
There are eager learner on this forum (myself included)

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Thanks Suji.. But I inadvertently placed the recorder very close to the tambura and so the recording is marred by high tambura volume. ( and of course I can detect some errors in my rendition.. as usual..)
I have my practice session recorded if you would like...
I sang
"dasarendare Purandara dasarayya" by VyasaRayaru in praise of his sishya, Purandara daasa.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Do post, Sridevi.

shishyapriya

Post by shishyapriya »

Sridevi,

If you can post the recording sung by you, it will be a feast to people who have not heard the song like me.

Shishyapriya

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Shisyapriya...

I do not have the recording from the event but I will be more than happy to make a recording and post it.
however, on a side note,
For a feast , listen to Bangalore Shankar's rendition on dasa sahithya website and MS Sheela has also sung it very melodiously. ( Mine is a pedestrian fare compared to these great singers.) :)

Thanks

Sridevi
Last edited by sridevi on 27 Feb 2007, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

shishyapriya

Post by shishyapriya »

Sridevi

The Dasa Sahithya website is all in Kannada. I am unable to find the song. Can you please post the direct link for download . The song - dasarendare Purandara dasarayya

Thanks,Shishyapriya

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

All

here is my rendition of dasarendare Purandaradasarayya

http://www.rogepost.com/n/1021352106

Bangalore shankar's rendition is at
http://www.dasasahitya.org/DetailedKirP ... Keerthanas

or click on the only song in this list

http://www.dasasahitya.org/home.asp?cas ... category=2

If either does not work,
there is an english search button - put in
dasarendare

shishyapriya

Post by shishyapriya »

Thanks Sridevi. Unfortunately, I was unable to hear your rendition. It says 0 KB. Can you please re-upload

Thanks a lot Sridevi

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

http://www.rogepost.com/n/0263646837

ok.. lets try this

Sridevi

shishyapriya

Post by shishyapriya »

My unceasing Claps to you. Amazing Sridevi. Very nice. What ragam is this ? Do you also have lyrics?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

shishyapriya wrote:My unceasing Claps to you. Amazing Sridevi. Very nice. What ragam is this ? Do you also have lyrics?
Nice kAmbhOji..
Thanks SrIdEvi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sridevi,
Lovely! Thanks for sharing.
Can I trouble you for the lyrics and a running meaning?
THANKS.
Ravi

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

This is a composition of vyAsarAya, on purandara dAsa:

ದಾಸರೆಂದರೆ ಪುರಂದರ ದಾಸರಯ್ಯ
ವಾಸುದೇವ ಕೃಷ್ಣನ್ನ ಸೂಸಿ ಪೂಜಿಸುವ!

dAsarendare purandara dAsarayya
vAsudEva kRShNana sUsi pUjisuva ||pallavi||

grAsakillade pOgi parara manegaLa pokku
dAsanendu tuLasI mAle dharisi
bEsarillade avara kADi bEDi baLalisuta
kAsu gaLisuva puruSha haridAsane ? ||charaNa 1||

yAyivArava mADi viprarige mRShTAnna
prIyadali tanondu koDada lObhi
mAya samsAradalli mamate hecchAgiTTu
gAyanava mADalava haridAsanE ? || charaNa 2||

nItiyellava maretu nigamavEdyana nitya
vAtasutanallihana varNisutali
gIta nartanadinda kRshNanna pUjisuva
pUtAtma purandara dAsarivarayya ! ||charaNa 3||

Meaning:

pallavi : If there is one dAsa, it is purandara dAsa, devotee of vAsudEva kRShNa

charaNa 1: Can one become dAsa by dressing like one, with a tuLasi mAle and go to other's houses asking for alms & money, and trouble them no end?

charNa 2: Does one become haridAsa by doing unchavRtti, and not giving to others in need ? Can one become hari dAsa just by singing, while still being tied to the illusion of samsAra?

charaNa 3: He, purandara dAsa is a real dAsa, who forgets everything, sings and dances taking the name of kRishna, who lives in the heart of vAyu putra madhvAcArya.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 07 Mar 2007, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Thanks... I somehow am not too happy with this rendition/recording .. I feel I need to slow down a bit more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was composed by Sri vyasa rAyaru - in praise of his shisya Purandara dAsa. I am not really good at translations so I will request ramakriya to take this task.

PS:
I had typed up the lyrics and was going to request ramakriya to translate but he beat me to it.. so, thanks ramaprasad avare.
Last edited by sridevi on 07 Mar 2007, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramakriya: thanks!
What a wonderrful definition of a dAsa!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

sridevi avare,

here is the mohana version of dAsarendare which I was metntioning on the ArAdhane day.

http://www.udbhava.com/udbhava/songs.jsp?id=622

2nd song from the bottom.

I see that I forgot one charaNa when I posted the sAhitya earlier, I will edit that post to add the missing charaNa.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 16 Mar 2007, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

Thanks Ramakriya. I cannot wait to listen to it (and decide which one I like better.. :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Added the sAhitya of dAsarendare into the wiki

http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/dasarendare ... -dasarayya

-Ramakriya

meena

Post by meena »

ramakriya thanks :)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

There is also a composition of maisUr vAsudEvAccAr on purandara: ShrI purandaraguruvaram in sarasvati manOhari. Please post an audio clip if available.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Here is a rendition of Purandara Dasa's composition "ParakuMadade" in Saveri raga set to Adi Tala by Prof. Mysore Sri V. Ramarathnam. Presented in Bangalore Gayana Samaja in 1985, in pure carnatic style, accompanied by M. Chandrasekar on violin and Sri Vellore Ramabhadran on Mridangam. Prof. Ramarathnam presents this compositon as the main piece of the concert, with Raga, Swaras and a grand thanyavardham by Sri Vellore Ramabhadran:

http://mysorevramarathnam.org/Concerts/ ... radasa.MP3