TMK sings unaccompanied at Musiri House Concert 17.6.12

Concerts and other events related to CM.
Nick H

TMK sings unaccompanied at Musiri House Concert 17.6.12

Post by Nick H »

An interesting experiment.

As it happens, I have long been thinking that, rather than arguing over his publicly-expressed opinions and his writing style, it is time to give his music a chance, for the first time in a long time. I can't even remember when I last heard him.

Is this the occasion?

I know that there are rasikas to whom the violin and the mridangam are little else but intrusions. I believe that the ear needs some variety in the sounds, some differences in musical texture. I also feel that the inter-artist musical exchanges are very much a part of the experience. On that basis, even if this was one of my favourite artists, I would be feeling the same: can I listen to just one voice for over two hours?

I have about 24 hours to make my mind up :)

varsha

Re: TMK sings unaccompanied at Musiri House Concert 17.6.12

Post by varsha »

Singing unaccompanied (or with minimal accompaniment ) was always THE way .
What has always been seen on a concert stage was THE experiment .
Experiments .. Experiments.... As a matter of fact , a slip of a girl / lady who sang at Sringeri Mutt last month , even paused to let the sparse greying audience know that:
a) there was this definitive book on Tyagraja , which all of us should possess .
b) At another point of the recital , bang in the middle of a krithi , she paused to let us know that there were nine forms of Bhakthi , starting with hmmm...... She peered into her laptop and read them out .

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nick, Did you make it to the a cappella concert?
I heard from someone who attended that it was superb! I love the ambience in the Musiri household, although it has been a couple of decades since I have been to a concert there...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sadly, no I didn't: I spent the afternoon being an amateur electrician around the house.

It would be interesting if any of our members review it here, although no substitute for being there.

An opportunity missed.

And yes, the Musiri house ambience is great. You haven't been for a couple of decades: I have only discovered it in the past few years!

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

I atteneded and it was a fantastic experience.TMK obliged lot of requests that included just an alapanai of bEgada.The highlight was the rAga AlApanais in kalyAni and Bhairavi(SS's svarajathi with just a neraval - superb)and singing of the slokam 'karacharana...' in many rAgas.He started with 'endhukubedhala'in S'bharanam with N@vedhasastra followed by svarams next sang MD's vegavAhini kriti.

The last item was in KeeravANi of S'brahmendraL.

He sang close to 3 hrs.which is not that easy w/o accompaniments.The concert started bit dull and picked up momentum slowly matured into excellence.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

thanks, Ganeshkant. Sounds like a very unique experience. Wish I could have been there!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I had a hunch I might regret missing it.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

His rendition of ehdhavEdulondhu in saraswathi manOhari was superb.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

His rendition of ehdhavEdulondhu in saraswathi manOhari was superb.
And a very apt choice for the Musiri house! [small correction: it is enta vEDukondu]

ram

Post by ram »

mahavishnu wrote:His rendition of ehdhavEdulondhu in saraswathi manOhari was superb.

And a very apt choice for the Musiri house! [small correction: it is enta vEDukondu]
IIRC, it was one of the requests from the Musiri family