Live Webcast - SUMITRA VASUDEV - Aug 22 2014

Concerts and other events related to CM.
the_ARTery

Live Webcast - SUMITRA VASUDEV - Aug 22 2014

Post by the_ARTery »

The ARTery is pleased to offer you a LIVE webcast at 1830 IST, Aug 22nd 2014, from PS High School, Mylapore, Chennai

Please tune in to http://www.theartery.in/live-webcast

Dr. V. Raghavan centre for performing arts presents 106th Birth anniv celebrations of Dr. V. Raghavan. Release of biography of Dr. Raghavan and Audio CD Kavikokila Manjari containing Sanskrt verses & stotras by Smt. Sumitra Vasudev

followed by thematic concert SRI TYAGESA MANJARI

Sumitra vasudev - Vocal
Dr Hemalatha - Violin
B Ganapathyraman - Mridangam

Rsachi

Re: Live Webcast - SUMITRA VASUDEV - Aug 22 2014

Post by Rsachi »

Excellent Sanskrit compositions and shlokas rendering by Sumitra Vasudev...she seems to have a flair for Sanskrit!
Cue to 1:10:00 or so...lots of speeches before that.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I Don't know anything about sanskrit <Blush> But I believe that Simithra's doctorate is in a Sanskrit study.

(I was there: the music performance was short but very sweet)

Hello ARTery: well done for the audio quality on this. It is as good as being there was!

(At least it is until it all goes wrong :( )

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Somehow the last few minutes are too loud and distorted on You Tube...don't know why.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I suspect that the lesson is that audio is not something one can put on the stove and leave cooking. It needs monitoring all the time.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is the web site about where you can learn more about Dr. Raghavan. http://www.drvraghavancentre.com/index.html

Though I went in there for Sumitra's music, the speeches were quite enjoyable. I did not know much about Dr. Raghavan and this gave the opportunity to learn about this great scholar of literature, culture and arts. As a bonus, Ms. Nandini's Tamil was so comforting to hear without any of the silly artificiality we typically hear on TV.

The speakers refer to the book 'The Spiritual Heritage of Thyagaraja' by Dr. Raghavan. It is available in archive.org
https://archive.org/stream/SpiritualHer ... 0/mode/2up

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

It is "the Spiritual Heritage of Thyagaraja."
The book is published by Ramakrishna Math. Not the usual publisher of books on Carnatic music!
The reason is that the compilation of songs and meanings was the life-long work of a dedicated man Sri C. Ramanujachari, the saintly man closely associated with the Ramakrishna Mission Students' Home in Madras.
The initial portion of the book, which is a separate book within a book, was written by Dr Raghavan.
The publication has a foreword by Dr Radhakrishnan written in 1958.
I remember Dr. Raghavan's talks on Sanskrit Alankara Shastra in Mysore University in 1960's.

Dr. Raghavan was very influential in the Music Academy.

His article on why the instrument should be called nAgaswara and not nAdhaswara has been reproduced in the Sruti magazine August 2014 issue.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Oops, Yes, it is Heritage Indeed. Fixed now. Thanks. I am reading that book now

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Is this the same Dr. Raghavan who is Smt. Nandini Ramani's father, and the (disputed) author of the benediction, 'maitrIm bhajata akhila hRt jaitrIm'?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Yes sir.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »