IFAS -Change of venue

Concerts and other events related to CM.
satyabalu

IFAS -Change of venue

Post by satyabalu »

"Sabha shifts December season venue from T. Nagar to Alwarpet

As the city sabhas put out the concert schedules of the annual December Season – a privately-managed festival of Carnatic music and classical dance concerts that is unique here – one arts organization which used to have a festival in T. Nagar is having it in Alwarpet this year.

Indian Fine Arts Society, one of the oldest arts bodies in the city used to have its December Season concerts at the German Hall in T. Nagar. Since that hall is under renovation and repair and hence the change in venue.

Concerts will now be held at the Ethiraja Kalyana Mantapam on TTK Road in Alwarpet ( near the Hotel Samco traffic signal junction)"

I recollect the leisurely pace of conducting Lec Dem with interesting topics like Kritis in Ragas handled by trinity ...., series on MD by SKA.S Rajam.... Navagraha kritis by SKN R Vedavalli (each one by her disciples Sani rendered by her ). ..also by DKJ ....It is one such sabha that had honored Swarna Venkatess Dikshidhar . How can we forget KVN rendering SWD exclusive kritis there. ! Welcome change in venue .
Last edited by satyabalu on 06 Nov 2014, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: IFAS -Change of venue

Post by rajeshnat »

I wish they had the renovation done before . Personal loss as it is too close to my home , whenever I feel like not travelling much in this margazhi cold i prefer this place , one great advantage is it does not have AC.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

rajeshnat wrote:I wish they had the renovation done before . Personal loss as it is too close to my home , whenever I feel like not travelling much in this margazhi cold i prefer this place , one great advantage is it does not have AC.
But it makes up for it with abundant quantities of slush on the roads from the November rains, a steady supply of rats that have made that building their home and leaky ceilings and mold-y chairs.

After a particularly bad experience last season, I had sworn that I would never return to the IFAS concerts if they were held at German Hall. So, the venue change is welcome. IFAS is such a classic sabha with a long history of service spanning most of the 20th century.

But as Rajesh says, I wish the renovations had been completed in time for the season. I suppose this is not in their control. IFAS is one of those sabhas (like SPSS) that did not invest in a hall when real estate was still affordable for an organization like that.

This is a big loss for T. Nagar. There are so many sabhas in the Mowbrays road area that it is not of special advantage to residents of Alwarpet/Mylapore.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

mahavishnu wrote:
But it makes up for it with abundant quantities of slush on the roads from the November rains, a steady supply of rats that have made that building their home and leaky ceilings and mold-y chairs.

After a particularly bad experience last season, I had sworn that I would never return to the IFAS concerts if they were held at German Hall. So, the venue change is welcome. IFAS is such a classic sabha with a long history of service spanning most of the 20th century.

But as Rajesh says, I wish the renovations had been completed in time for the season. I suppose this is not in their control. IFAS is one of those sabhas (like SPSS) that did not invest in a hall when real estate was still affordable for an organization like that.

This is a big loss for T. Nagar. There are so many sabhas in the Mowbrays road area that it is not of special advantage to residents of Alwarpet/Mylapore.
The whole of habibullah road is low lying and adding to that the near metrowater filling station and also at times poor lighting in the roads. Yes the seats could be better , but there is so much charm in that place with only fan though the fan sound is too much kora kora in the last few years. Their canteen is really good (Is that gnambika), also their lecdems in morning are as good as academy. But for many senior citizens the joy of walking and not crossing the road is such a huge plus -it will be a hell with this year makeshift ethiraj hall. BTW few years back I had a relative function in ethiraj where i heard a crt ,the ethiraj hall is pretty decent.

I wish they renovate without the need of AC and more importantly not jack the prices . That way we can be assured that they will not be in a situation where in they have concerts only when ragasudha hall is available(like the fate of perennial sabhas like nadopasana and sarvani sangeetha sabha) . Chennai is three down already with three perennial sabhas and with it atleast 300 concerts per year are gone.
Best wishes to IFAS

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

As i was browsing kutcheris.com i see the balamandir german hall which i thought was undergoing renovation is taken up by another organization called Musiq from dec 16 to 21. I was thinking this year with renovation work no one can use this place , but this new organization the musiq has taken it . Perhaps some one can clarify
http://www.kutcheris.com/organization.php?id=511