A get together/meeting to celebrate the life and music of Sri. Vairamangalam S. Lakshminarayanan

Concerts and other events related to CM.
lackukv

A get together/meeting to celebrate the life and music of Sri. Vairamangalam S. Lakshminarayanan

Post by lackukv »

A few of us students of Sri. Vairamangalam S. Lakshminarayanan are planning to get together and have an informal meeting to discuss and celebrate the life and greatness of the vidwan, whose genius filled music never reached many. We would have some friends, students and musicians who were very close to Sri. Vairamangalam say a few words about how he influenced them and their music. We also plan to play clippings of his concert recordings as a first step towards the idea of releasing a CD of his music. If anyone has interesting anecdotes to share about Vairamangalam mama, it would be great if you could attend the meeting and share these with everyone. If you are unable to physically attend the meet, please post your experience/anecdote in this thread and one of us students would be more than happy to read it out. All fans of mama's music, anyone who knew him and all those who would simply like to listen to a sample of his music, are more than welcome to attend the get together. The meet is proposed to be held on August 8th in Besant Nagar, Chennai. More details about timings, venue and agenda of the meeting will be updated in this thread shortly.

Below is a link to a Valaji ragam sung by Sri. Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan, for those who haven't already listened to it.

https://soundcloud.com/lakshmi-vijayara ... lam-valaji

cacm

Re: A get together/meeting to celebrate the life and music of Sri. Vairamangalam S. Lakshminarayanan

Post by cacm »

Dear lackukv,
I congragulate all of you for doing something concrete to perpetuate the memory and musical style of Vidwan Vairamangalam S.Lakshminarayanan . I tried unsuccesfully to bring to public prominence the great contributions of his Guru Sri. T.K. Rangachari (in my annual visits to India). In my days in Chennai till the end of the 1950's the discerning listeners(who were students like me with zero monetary abilities!) used to flock to TKR'S Concerts as we felt we at once got ARI, MMI& GNB in additions to TKR'S ORIGINAL EMBELLISHMENTS IN ONE CONCERT!
Sri. Vairamangalam L was truly a MUSICIAN'S MUSICIAN AS WELL successfully conveyed the EXCELLENCE OF THE SCHOOL to the public at large.
He stunned the audiences in Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana & other locations with his BRILLIANT PERFORMANCES & I STILL remember many of the ones I attended. We should make sure his VIDWAT is brought to the public of today. The idea of bringing out CD'S is a great one. I certainly will do my best to bring to attention these stalwarts & their contributions. BEST WISHES Regs, Dr.V.K.Viswanathan (VKV) :!: :D :) ;)

lackukv

Re: A get together/meeting to celebrate the life and music of Sri. Vairamangalam S. Lakshminarayanan

Post by lackukv »

Thanks a lot for your support and those nice words, VKV Sir :)

An update about details of the get together:

Date: 8th August, 2015
Time: 5 p.m onwards (lasting approximately 2 hours)
Venue: Residence of K. Vijayaraghavan - 1C, 'Ramaniyam Krithika', 16, Thirumurugan Street, Kalakshetra Colony, Chennai - 600090
Contact: Lakshmi - 9962211716 or K. Vijayaraghavan - 9884875691, 24465051

Also, there will be some snacks and refreshments served at the end of the programme. All are welcome!