SRI SURYAPRAKASH CONCERT AT BANGALURU ON 25.9.16

Concerts and other events related to CM.
rshankar

Re: SRI SURYAPRAKASH CONCERT AT BANGALURU ON 25.9.16

Post by rshankar »

Yes, the pallavi sounds very clever! Thank you...
Rsachi wrote:Ravi,
Yes, he sang the padavarnam. I have, in the 80s, thoroughly enjoyed its presentation at Kalakshetra by the likes of Krishnaveni! No less!
I have seen it performed more recently by several kalAkshEtra alumni and have been struck by how identical all the versions are. On the one hand, it's heartening to see Smt. RDA's choreography living on, but on the other hand it does seem a bit fossilized. Anyway, apologies for the digression.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

DEAR RASIKAS,

PHOTOS OF THE CONCERT OF SRI R.SURYAPRAKASH HELD ON 25.09.2016 AT BANGALURU HAVE BEEN TAKEN
BY MY SON SRI KARTHIK NAGESWARAN.

THE DROP BOX LINKS OF THE SAME IS GIVEN BELOW.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0oeyn8vx5xp0 ... KvOsa?dl=0

S.NAGESWARAN.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

DEAR RASIKAS,

THE AUDIO AND VIDEO COPIES ARE EXPECTED IN A DAY OR TWO.

THE LINKS OF THE SAME WILL BE UPLOADED IN DUE COURSE.

S.NAGESWARAN.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Glad to know the event went on very successfully. Waiting eagerly to get the uploads. What was the sahithyam of the pallavi. Did he sing ragam, tanam, in all the ragams.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Truly, experience of rasikas who listened to the Maestro Surya Prakash, Maestro T.R.Sundaresan and immensely talented, very promising and young vidwan Vittal Rangan, was like going to darshan, expecting the tirtham but blessed with panchamrutham. Very soon, all these Vidwans are going to serve us, rasikas panchabhaksha paramanna prasadam, with rasikas unqualified support.

SP has clear vision of aesthetics, both in planning and delivery. The sadhana sampath enables him to translate the ideas in execution and results. He show cased his manodharma to deliver delight. There is discipline, value for lakshya and lakshana in all his renderings, be it alapana, tana, neraval, svarakalpana and pallavi. He showcased his vidwath with thrayi sthayee and kalam, with confidence. His creativity in pallavi composition in respect to MSS Amma, aptly in the presence of Sri Cienu and Ms.Aishwarya Srinivasan (who was in high admiration of svarakalpana-mukthayis and intelligence in pallavi-RTP. With long performance experience, he has very good grasp and intelligence to meet the expectations. He deserves higher appreciation, acceptance and support of rasikas and patrons for his attainment of state of a Great Maestro. The way he started with Todi padavarnam and completed it, tells about his diligent practice. Maestros Gurus used to warn the performing sishyas, 'Todiyai (modalle eduthenna), tondidum, vaadipovai', as taking up todi is a real challenge as the very opening composition.
I desire and expect SP to focus his attention on 1. control on naaseekam, 2. Patanthara Sudhatvam, 3. Value and discipline of temptation of sangati ornamentation, brighas to the composition of Mudduswamy Deekshita, 4. Dasara pada within 32 batdeesa ragas(not in asampoorna/scale) and original varna mettus in karnaparampara, not the popular version of HM (original varnamettu of 'Kangaliddyathako'-Todi-Sri Pada Raya/Rangavittala) and Legend Pandit Bhimsen Joshiji.5.vilamba kala pramana. 6.Visradhi 7. Gamaka pushti (Veenai, gottu ) along with the popular and celebrated Nadasvara style. SP can achieve and rise to become a great maestro, in the very near future.

TRS, gladdened my heart with his ideals of tradition, the jati;teermanam; kuraippu. Naadanubhavam. Tani was very good but his sollus for compositions and singing style of SP (in line, supportive) deserves full praise. I noticed his devotion to Nandikesava and Istadevatha, Vighneswara, by placing the tiny idols near the mridangam and indeed TRS is blessed!

VR, as was quite evident to all the rasikas, his technique of bowing, fingering, quick grasp, good following in his very good violin accompaniment. He succeeded to win the Senior Vidwans, SP and TRS appreciation. Very minor mistakes were noticed, which with higher sadhana and experience he can easily avoid. He has promise to rise and achieve higher Vidwath.

As RSachi Sir conveyed gratitude to the commitment, dedication and contribution of Sri SN Sir and his family members for the cause of KM's appreciation in his vote of thanks, truly reflecting the rasikas emotions.

Vidulaku mrokkeda, Kovidulaku mrokkeda.

munirao2001

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

rshankar wrote: What was the pallavi sAhitya ?
pallavi line was "Anandini mAm pAhi, sakala dhvani svarUpiNi, sunAda niranjani, vINAvinOdini, sadAvAhini, hamsa-"

sang at hamsAnandini... hamsadhvani svarUpiNi , hamsanAda niranjani, hamsavinOdini sadAvAhini.. at different takes. He did a very complicated, but very well executed trikalam in all 4 ragas. Pretty commendable job. Alapana for hamsAnandi and hamsadhvani were detailed, to some lesser extend for the other two. With the complexities and the intricacies involved, the shift,switch,slide (or whatever) from one to the other were brilliant.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Moderator is requested to shift the thread to Kutcheri Reviews Section.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

A very neat and enjoyable concert and the song details put up by Sri R Sachi.A concert full of Sowkyam from start to Mangalam.I enjoyed the excellent accompaniments of Vittal rangan and Sundaresan.Thanks to Sri Nageswaran Sir for this wonderful concert.

kssr

Post by kssr »

It was really an outstanding concert.
Things that stood out IMO are:
a. Sri. Nageswaran's dedication to music and hospitality.
b. Pleasant feeling on seeing so many friends from this rasikas forum
c. Brilliant violin by Vittala Rangan. Super following. Perfection in maintaining the raga lakshanam. Absolutely good bowing technique.
d. Very good support by Sri.Sundaresan on mridangam. Is he from Chennai. Don't remember seeing him often in Bangalore.
e. The concert had a bright start with the Thodi varnam. Impressive. Saraswathi and the one that followed were Ok. Mohana kalyani Bhuvaneswariya is once again beautiful.
f. The whole of Bhairavi was absolutely heavy and totally enjoyable. That is real bhairavi and the song was also very good.
g. For me personally, the multi ragam RTp is not a favourite. Single or maximum two ragam ones with ragamalika tanam or pallavi or swaram is better. Even if multi ragam, if they are well known clearly recognisable heavy ragams ( probably like the thodi, sankarabharam, dharbar, kalyani ?? that was sung by Ariyakkudi/ TNS,) we find a shape in it. What is Hamsa Vinodhini? Final result is an absolute jumble - a bhel puri. No complaint about the quality of rendition itself. But I am unable to relate and recall later with pleasure, an RTP like that. Definitely it showcases the skill and virtuosity of the artist, I guess.
h. In Bangalore a 3.5 hour concert becomes an over stretch esp when people come from far off places.( We were told that snacks were also arranged after the concert but I managed to slip out.)
i. Secondly a detailed extended virutham after thani and more than 3 hours into the concert is difficult to enjoy.
j. Sri.RSachi gave a good vote of thanks. Many Sanskrit words. Sadly,did not understand.
k. Sri.Suryaprakash is definitely an excellent artist and I hope there will be more opportunities to listen to his concerts in future.
Last edited by kssr on 28 Sep 2016, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

KSSR,
_/\_
I share your reservations about multi-raga esp. lite ragas pallavis. Cleverness or novelty doesn't match depth and recall value of the great ragas. Perhaps it is the rasikas who tempt the singers to offer such bhel-puri RTPs.

This neither an excuse nor a counterpoint, but the moment Suryaprakash switched from Hamsanandi to Hamsadhwani, I guessed his game plan.

To his credit, his notes in each raga were sparkling with purity. With Vittal's help, he was able to cruise from raga to raga easily. The words addressed to MSS, although somewhat contrived, as a tribute showed his reverence.