Rudrapatna Music Festival & Rudrapatna gets music centre

Concerts and other events related to CM.
SSK

Post by SSK »

Hope a lot of you saw this Fesrtival and unique structure built for music "Saptaswara Dhyana Mandira". Most of you are well aware that Rudrapatnam has contributed significantly to carnatic music. Names such as R.K. Venkatarama Sastry, Rudrapatnam brothers, R K Padmanabha, R K Sriram Kumar are some of the common names that we are familiar with. We probably should bring names of veteran vidwans and vidushis past or present who may not be familiar to world of music.

Also any one attending the festival please post pictures from your camera, reviews of concerts, lec-dems, talks etc. I know vidwans such as Sangeetha Samrat Ravikiran are perfoming over the next several days.

[quote]The Hindu:

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/05/20/stor ... 480300.htm

Karnataka - Hassan

Rudrapatna gets music centre

HASSAN: Ganapathi Sachhidananda Swamiji of Datta Peetha, Mysore, inaugurated the “Saptaswara Dhyana Mandiraâ€

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I see there is a mention in kutcheri buzz about Hasya Sanje ,what is that?
8:00 pm to 10:00 pm - Hasya Sanje – Sri Hiremaglur Kannan & Party

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
It is 'comedy evening'. HirimagaLUru Kannan is known for his discourses. He is in charge of the temple in that town. I did not know he did comedy as well...
Last edited by arasi on 21 May 2008, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Some pictures from the Festival posted on Kutcheribuzz.com
http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/news/200805 ... tna/album/

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arasi wrote:Rajesh,
It is 'comedy evening'. HirimagaLUru Kannan is known for his discourses. He is in charge of the temple in that town. I did not know he did comedy as well...
Normally Hiremagalooru Kannan acts as a moderator in these programs - Some of them are comedy shows, but some are about more serious stuff as well.

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

SSK wrote:Some pictures from the Festival posted on Kutcheribuzz.com
http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/news/200805 ... tna/album/
Thank SSK for the link. I was disappointed that my mother if she took any pictures when she visited Rudrapatna during the festifities...

-Ramakriya

vijay

Post by vijay »

Truly one of CM's great centres. RK Srikantan is another illustrious addition to the list..BTW how come everyone has RK prefixed to their names?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

(My good guess) - Keshavamurthy is a very common name there :)

vijay

Post by vijay »

How come? Is Keshava the main deity in Rudrapatnam ;-)
On a related note I've also wondered about the prevalence of the name, Manjunath, in Karnataka....given its popularity one would expect a major shrine or temple dedicated to the deity somewhere in the region...but I've never been able to figure out where...or even which god the name refers to...

SSK

Post by SSK »

Isn't "Manjunatheswara" the main deity in Dharmasthala?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes...SrI manjunAtha of dhamasthaLa...Vijay see this link for details:

http://www.shridharmasthala.org/

It is a gorgeous temple, and serves as an example of religious harmony - the trustees I think are Jains. One of the few examples where a Hindu temple is run by people of another faith (although according to the Indian Constitution - if I remember lessons learnt in Civics class - the word Hindu encompasses Jains, Buddhists and Sikhs).

I forget - is there a dEvi sannidhi there? (I do not think kanyAkumari here is the ambAL)
Last edited by rshankar on 29 May 2008, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vijay wrote:How come? Is Keshava the main deity in Rudrapatnam ;-)
I do not know if there is a kEShava temple is Rudrapatna. But, Keshava happens to be the "mane dEvaru" [ not sure how to translate :) it - literally house-god ] for a majority of Sanketi families. Rudrapatna among others in Kaveri and hEmavati basins is one of the villages where Sanketi's have lived for generations.

There is a Keshava temple at Kowshika, which is considered as the village where Sanketis first settled.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 30 May 2008, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

rshankar wrote:I forget - is there a dEvi sannidhi there? (I do not think kanyAkumari here is the ambAL)
No, AFAIK.

manju = frost, snow

manjunAtha = The lord of Kailasa, the abode of Snow.

-Ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Ramakriya - I don't remember either.

I think 'mane dEvaru' translates closely to 'kula deivam' - manE is restricted to one particular ancestral home, while 'kulam' is a little more encompassing.

And Vijay, the rudrapaTnam family members are sankEtIs.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramakriya,
manju is also mist, isn't it?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arasi wrote:Ramakriya,
manju is also mist, isn't it?
literally yes ; Since snow is almost unknown in southern latitudes, the same word is applied to snow, ice too in Kannada :)

-Ramakriya

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks all for the clarifications. Did not know that Manjunatha was the main deity in the famous Dharmasthala temple. No wonder the name in so common in those parts! And I suppose Mane Deivaru is something like Kuladeivam for Tamilians

SSK

Post by SSK »

I was hoping some one would post concert clips, pictures, writeups on this festival. But guess what, there is a nice write and a video link at:
http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/news/200805 ... apatna.asp
Check it out.

SSK

Post by SSK »

There is a video link to the event, that I just saw today.

Go to the following URL and below the picture click on the "Click Here to see Video" link. The video is about 22 minutes long, it covers the rather briefly the entire festival. The interesting part to me was the description of the Saptha Swaras and the relation ship to the seven deities from Godess Saraswathi to trinities.

http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/news/200805 ... apatna.asp

The begining parts of the video have some illlustrations in Kannada, but the description of saptha swaras and the deity's is actuall done in Engish for the benefit of listerners, who do not know Kannada. The vision and implementation are really innovative.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Thanks for these links.