Reethigowla / Ritigowla

Rāga related discussions
balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Brahmananadame Paramaguru Pada seva-a beautiful piece of Meesu Krishnier set to tune by Alatoor Venkatesa Iyer.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Brindavana nilaye -OVK.

arunk

Post by arunk »

yes brindAvana nilayE is a superb piece. I have listened to only one recording. Anyway I forgot to mention it

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

One of my favourites is SrI nIlOtpalanAyike, sung in (regular) rItigouLa by BMK and RKS

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

? I thought it was nIlOtpalAmbAm bhajarE that was sung in that rItigowla? I know that is the one Sowmya has sung in D2 rItigowla in that CD set of all those krithis. This one is also sung that way?

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 06 May 2008, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Yes; You can find RKS singing it in the lec-dem on rItigouLa in the following link.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... index.html

BMK's pAThAntara, is almost the same as Sri R K Srikanthan's. It is available in several commercial recordings - and may be available on line. I have not checked.

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

BMK's SrI nIlOtpala nAyikE is supposed to be here, but I am getting a file-not-found error :(

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/sunil/gu ... M--BMK.mp3

-Ramakriya

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:BMK's SrI nIlOtpala nAyikE is supposed to be here, but I am getting a file-not-found error :(

-Ramakriya
I too got an error for BMK as well as Soumya's- that's why I requested in the other thread

arunk

Post by arunk »

ramakriya - Ah! i did not know that (i havent yet had time to listen to the whole lecdem of RKS).

BTW, did you read an article on sangeetham.com long ago by Dr. VV Srivatsa? His argument for nIlOtpalAmbAm to be in D2, and SrI nIlOtpala nAyikE to be the asampUrNa mELa one was the specific choice of words in the latter: "rItigauravE dEshika pradarshita cidrUpiNi nata bhairavE. Of course nIlOtpalAmbAm has rIti kauLinIm. Dr. VVS was giving special importance to the nata bhairavE (although shouldnt have been naTa or naTha to be of importance??? - but still ...). He views it has clues that dIkshitar left as acknowledgement-of and differentiation-between the two rItigowla's during his time. Thus the reference to the D1 rItigowla being similar/part of the 20th sampUrNa mELa etc. The choice of nata bhairavE in this specific krithi cannot be arbitrary and has to have musical significance. It is an intriguing argument.

Suji - i thought you were asking for the one with D1 (i.e. today's nArirItigowla)? I have heard Nityashree also sing SrI nIOtpala nAyikE in the D1 (nAri)rItigowLa.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 06 May 2008, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:ramakriya - Ah! i did not know that (i havent yet had time to listen to the whole lecdem of RKS).

BTW, did you read an article on sangeetham.com long ago by Dr. VV Srivatsa? His argument for nIlOtpalAmbAm to be in D2, and SrI nIlOtpala nAyikE to be the asampUrNa mELa one was the specific choice of latter: "rItigauravE dEshika pradarshita cidrUpiNi nata bhairavE. Of course nIlOtpalAmbAm has rIti kauLinIm. Dr. VVS was giving special importance to the nata bhairavE (although shouldnt have been naTa or naTha to be of importance??? - but still ...). He views it has clues that dIkshitar left as acknowledgement-of and differentiation-between the two rItigowla's during his time. Thus the reference to the D1 rItigowla being similar/part of the 20th sampUrNa mELa etc. The choice of nata bhairavE in this specific krithi cannot be arbitrary and has to have musical significance. It is an intriguing argument.

Suji - i thought you were asking for the one with D1 (i.e. today's nArirItigowla)? I have heard Nityashree also sing SrI nIOtpala nAyikE in the D1 (nAri)rItigowLa.

Arun
With all due respect to Sri V V Srivatsa - I still think *all* compositions of MD in rItigouLa were had only D1; For Muttuswamy Dikshita, rItigouLa was the 20th mELa and it would have only D1. Would MD choose to compose one kriti in shankarAbharaNa and another in dhIra shankarAbharaNa? Or one in kalyANi and another in shAnta kalyANi, calling them as 2 different rAgas? I find the argument about rItigouLa and nArIrItigouLa two different rAgas for MD very similar!

The 'nata bhairavE' phrase may be an indication of the 20th sampUrNa mELa - True. There are other kritis where he has suggested the alternate names as in srI sUlini in shailadESAkshi and pAmarajanapAlinin in sumadyuti.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 06 May 2008, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

the lakshana slokam given in the SSP says "ritigaula", although the ragangam is called "nariritigaula". SRJ mama says this very clearly in one of his lecdems.

IMHO, "rItigauravE dEshika pradarshita cidrUpiNi nata bhairavE." proves nothing.

edit:
ramakriya,
i am sure someone will quote Sivakameswarim, which has the raga mudra "Shanta Kalyana" :lol:
Last edited by venkatpv on 06 May 2008, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

venkat - No one is saying that nArirItigowla is different from rItigowLa in dIkshitar's system. That is sort of irrelevant here. Please read the import of the argument again. The point is whether dIkjshitar *could have* composed in the other rItigowLa which he most probablty wasn't oblivious to given that he interacted with tyAgarAja and his disciples. But again - this is just one argument. Obviously not everyone buys it.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 06 May 2008, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

i doubt it arun, because that goes against the very basis of calling ritigaula the 20th ragangam!

arunk

Post by arunk »

you guys are missing the point. During dIkshitar's time there is no doubt that 2 rItigowlas were in practice. That is not the case for Sankarabharanam and dhIraSankarabharanam. Quoting that is a silly counter argument :)

Now it is certainly possible he did not compose in both rItigowlas - but it is theoretically a possibility. Like I said it is just an argument

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 06 May 2008, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

it is possible, ofcourse! but as i said, it defeats the purpose of calling it the 20th ragangam... thats my opinion.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:. During dIkshitar's time there is no doubt that 2 rItigowlas were in practice. That is not the case for Sankarabharanam and dhIraSankarabharanam. Quoting that is a silly counter argument :)

Now it is certainly possible he did not compose in both rItigowlas - but it is theoretically a possibility. Like I said it is just an argument

Arun
Arun,

Whether the argument is silly ;) or not, there were other instances of rAgas with dual identity during MD's time, but he chose to compose only in those rAgas that are seen in Muddu Venkatamakhi's rAgalakshaNa ( IIRC, abhOgi is the only exception).

My case with shankarAbharaNa and dhIrashankarAbharaNa, and kalyANI and shAntakalyANI, are just to illustrate how thin the difference is ( or non-existent) between rItigouLa and nArIrItigouLa when you look from the angle of MD or MV.

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

ramakriya wrote:My case with shankarAbharaNa and dhIrashankarAbharaNa, and kalyANI and shAntakalyANI, are just to illustrate how thin the difference is ( or non-existent) between rItigouLa and nArIrItigouLa when you look from the angle of MD or MV.
And I did not deny this - but again look at it this angle. This is true ONLY for the D1 rItigowLa. Like I said, whether he composed in it or not, I would assume he wasnt burying his head, and closing ears to the other rItigowLa to believe it did not exist ;)

So during his time, among the music he was exposed to - there WAS a difference between rItigowLa and nArirItgowLa - of course only because there was another raga with the name "rItigowLa" - a raga in which one other composer he respected a lot, was simply was outstanding in. So I repeat this is certainly not the case as Sankaharabharanam vs. dIraSankarabharanam. That would have applied BEFORE the D2 version started showing up. It certainly was not a case like that during MD's time.

PS: to clarify I am not saying that for 100% sure he composed in D2. I dont believe there was 0% possibility either. I am willing to take it to 50% ;)

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 06 May 2008, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:BMK's SrI nIlOtpala nAyikE is supposed to be here, but I am getting a file-not-found error :(

-Ramakriya
try this link. It worked for me
http://sangeethamshare.org/sunil/gurugu ... M--BMK.mp3

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

arunk wrote:I have heard Nityashree also sing SrI nIOtpala nAyikE in the D1 (nAri)rItigowLa.
Yes, a lovely rendition too :)

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Vocalist wrote:
arunk wrote:I have heard Nityashree also sing SrI nIOtpala nAyikE in the D1 (nAri)rItigowLa.
Yes, a lovely rendition too :)
I mean Neelothpalamba - which is in Naririthigowla ;)

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

ramakriya wrote:Yes; You can find RKS singing it in the lec-dem on rItigouLa in the following link.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... index.html

BMK's pAThAntara, is almost the same as Sri R K Srikanthan's. It is available in several commercial recordings - and may be available on line. I have not checked.

-Ramakriya
It is in Kannada!

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Suji Ram wrote:

-Ramakriya
try this link. It worked for me
http://sangeethamshare.org/sunil/gurugu ... M--BMK.mp3
My preconceived idea BMK can not sing MD kritis as much as he could do for Thyagaraja &others has been changed after listening to this link.Thanks.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks Sripathi & Suji Ram :) BMK's voice is in much better form than in his commercially available recordings of this kriti!

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 06 May 2008, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

BMK sings this kriti with such ease that it seems so simple.
I tried(struggling) playing the pallavi and I feel that there are some intricately woven swaras which exist in other renditions I heard. MD kritis have that beauty.

arunk

Post by arunk »

arunk wrote:Suji - i thought you were asking for the one with D1 (i.e. today's nArirItigowla)? I have heard Nityashree also sing SrI nIOtpala nAyikE in the D1 (nAri)rItigowLa.
There is a version of Nityashree singing nIlOtpalAmbAm in nArirItigowLa on sangeethamshare/sangeethaprita
There is also Sowmya's version in D2 rItigowLa (although labelled as nArirItigowLa)

Arent these guys (sangeethapriya) treading in dangerous waters here? I am sure the latter one is a commercial version! Maybe both :rolleyes: - they need to get things under more control

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 06 May 2008, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Yes Arun, I know the nIlOtpalanAyikE versions in S priya are with D2.
I heard D1 versions too. It has a nice effect when the kriti starts with N and goes to D1
I like the veena version of KS the best.
The vocal versions helped me get the sahitya into my head ,D1 or not

arunk

Post by arunk »

suji - i was referring to D1 version of the other krithi nIlOtpalAmbAm - in case you were interested in that too

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

ramakriya wrote:
Thanks Sripathi & Suji Ram :) BMK's voice is in much better form than in his commercially available recordings of this kriti!

-Ramakriya
Sthitilayadikale in charanam -sung exceeding well! words are more clear with mimimal accompaniment sound/volume.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Suji Ram,

Do you have access to the Veena version of the song?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

shripathi_g wrote:Suji Ram,

Do you have access to the Veena version of the song?
will do

markandeyakavi

Post by markandeyakavi »

Hello All,

I am new to this forum. Respectful greetings and salutations to all the fine listeners and musicians present.

A close friend (R Narayanan) has recorded his own alap of Reethi Gowla, at home, on a minirecorder. He is a mano dharma singer, not a professional. The recordings were recently converted to MP3 format.

http://auminfinitecosmoses.com/elements/view/951

I request all to kindly listen and offer your knowledgeable comments about it. I am not a very experienced listener, but I did enjoy these. I felt this is an appropriate place to share. The recordings are not the best quality, but perhaps sufficient for an essential listening.

There are also recordings of other ragas, which you will easily find with a few clicks, starting from here:

http://auminfinitecosmoses.com/categories/view/4

If you wish to, you may post your comments on the site itself (I would encourage that), or share them here with me.

Please accept my apologies, if this unexpected request from a total stranger feels rude or too forthcoming.

Sincerely,

Shyam
Last edited by markandeyakavi on 21 May 2008, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Markandeya wrote:
A close friend (R Narayanan) has recorded his own alap of Reethi Gowla, at home, on a minirecorder. He is a mano dharma singer, not a professional. The recordings were recently converted to MP3 format.

Hearing it .I couldn't believe that such low sruti could be stretched for so long. MDR would have been
stunned if he were to listen.

Member_First

Post by Member_First »

Shri Shankara Naryanan, residing in Nanganallur area(Chennai), too sings like MDR. His voice and sruthi are simlar to MDR.
Last edited by Member_First on 21 May 2008, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

markandeyakavi

Post by markandeyakavi »

Thanks immensely, Purist. Narayanan was very happy to hear your comment.

I request you to check Naattai and Thodi too (I know it's off topic, but still)

http://auminfinitecosmoses.com/galleries/view/192

http://auminfinitecosmoses.com/galleries/view/193

All the best to you. Enjoy them!
Last edited by markandeyakavi on 28 May 2008, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

svkashyap

Post by svkashyap »

The following are the excerpts from concert reviews posted by rasikas including myself. One peculiar thing I noticed is, hardly anyone rendering nerval or kalpana swaras in ritigaula though it seems to be season's favorite. Is there any reason for this?

Violin Duet: Lalgudi G.J.R. Krishnan & Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi April 17th
3. nannu viDachi - ritigaula - mischra chApu -Tyagaraga (a)

MSG trio - Bangalore - 01 May 2009
5. janani ninnuvina - misra chapu - reetigowlai - subbaraya sastri (alapana)

Sudha Raghunathan- Fort High School Bangalore 3rd May 2009
... a brief sketch of Ritigowla and the oft repeated Nannu Vidachi.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I have heard artistes sing kalpana swarams for Rithigowla. Singing swaras for Tatwamariya tarama is common. GNB has sung swaram for Raga ratnamalika and Paripalayamam. He is supposed to have sung a RTP in this raga too. MLV, Trichur Ramachandran and Sudha sing swaras for Janani at 'tamasamu'

Quite often Rithigowla (or Anandabhairavi) is not taken as a main piece but rather a slow filling item between the sub-main and main.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 28 Dec 2009, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Thanks to Coolji I have the SSI Reethi Gowla. One of my all time favorite concerts. SSI / Lalgudi* in that concert is simply the best :) decent recording too. If it is not in Sangeethapriya I will upload it if someone requires.

* Should have been Coolji / SSI / Lalgudi :) Ask a song / raga / neraval / swaram etc etc rendition to Coolji and he will *NEVER* disappoint.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The greatest reetigowlai neraval and swaras (especially )singer is Prof TRS, you must listen to that brilliant rAga ratna malichakE( N S ) and tatvamariya tharamA (S).

Mods
Can you merge this thread with parent rAga thread please
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... gowla.html

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

coolkarni wrote: Voleti has sung a 45 minute RTP too in Reethigowla.
can upload if it is not there elsewhere.
Yes please :) !

The GNB RTP I believe was on sangeethapriya.org sometime ago (?) - it isnt a complete one though. There is also a GNB one in Anandabhairavi - superb (bad quality in the beginning, but decent after a while)

I like both MMI's TVS' kalpanaswaras with tatvamaRia. Also SSI's with janani ninnuvina. MDR's slow one with baDalikadhIra.

Arun

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

SSI/LGJ's rIthigowLa is on Sangeethapriya. I'll locate it shortly and post the link.

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

SSI/LGJ's rIthigowLa is on Sangeethapriya. I'll locate it shortly and post the link
Is the entire concert on s'priya?
And here's one more vote for the voleti to be uploaded.

Thanks

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Here's the SSI rItigowLa:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/we3or0

One of my favourites. My access to Sangeethapriya is very poor these days and there are numerous difficulties in downloading, so I've started uploading the entire SSI-LGJ-TS concert with the famed bhairavi swarajathi. Will update with the link when it's done.

Will try to find other rItigowLas with N/S meanwhile. LGJ has played an excellent dwaithamu in his ranjani-mOhanam RTP concert which I have, but I'm not sure if it's commercial. MDR, of course, breathed life into this ragam.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

LGJ's responses are certainly on the money in this clip (and throughout this concert). The entire concert is here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ovy0w5

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Svkashyap and other rIthigowLa lovers, here are a few more:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t9mlqa

This .rar file contains:
(1) MDR MSG PR - nannu viDachi (S)
(2) MDR MC - mama hrudayE (S)
(3) MDR LS VR - baDalikadhIra (R,S)
(4) SSI TNK UKS - janani ninnuvina (R,S)

I also accidentally inserted a Santhanam rendition that I thought had kalpanaswaras but does not. But it's still worth a listen!

Intriguingly, in sifting through my MDR collection, I realised that I do not have a single rIthigowLa by MDR withOUT kalpanaswaras! Even if it's just a brief 2-min spurt at the end, he always sings swaras in the ragam.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

BILAHARI!!
I do not know how to thank you!! Last week, I was very busy listening to MSG's Todi RTP you uploaded. This week, a feast of Reethigowla!! Thanks a lot!! Really nice of you to share your recordings. They are educational and entertaining. Thanks!