Charulatha Mani - A Raga's journey

Rāga related discussions
RaviSri

Re: Charulatha Mani - A Raga's journey

Post by RaviSri »

Important compositions of Muthuswamy Dikshitar in Dwijavanti include ‘Akhilandeswari’ (the goddess of Thriuvanaikkaval) and ‘Chetasri Balakrishnam’ (composed on Lord Krishna at Guruvayoor kshetra)
Who said 'chEtasri' was composed on Guruvayurappan. There is no internal evidence. It is only a generic kriti on Krishna.

This apart, your assertion that Dwijavanti has similarities with Sahana and Kapi. Sahana yes, but Kapi? How? Dwijavanti has similarities with Sahana, Yadukulakambhoji and Durbar. I hope you will study the various aspects of a raga, especially as given in the SSP before writing.

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Hindolam - Surya - Chandrakauns one after the other. The interludes are all in Hindolam with the appropriate chords highlighting the melody. Another gem from the Maestro.

http://www.saavn.com/p/song/tamil/Manit ... D4xYSwGaFo

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Ilaiyaraaja’s liking for this raga (Hamsadhwani) is evident from the way he has handled ‘Sri Ranga Ranga’ from Mahanadhi. The last lines in the charanams culminate with a phrase that goes like ‘R,R N,P NN P,GPP…’, and such swara patterns are very sound and highly creative.
The one thing we should be very careful in analyzing Raaja sir's songs is sweeping carte blanche - calling this song is this raga etc. definitively. Yes, there are songs he has composed in '100%' Gowlai, Kaanada, Rasikapriya etc.

Raaja sir's songs demand active listening if we are to go into raga guessing mode. E.g. Sri Ranga Ranganathanin starts off in Mohanam (after the initial chanting ends). First interlude is in Mohanam. Hamsadhwani only begins from the first charanam line 'kollidam neer meedhu nartanam aadum'.

The quoted extract from the Hindu article on Hamsadhwani seems to suggest that the song is in the said raga. However mentioning the appearance of Mohanam here would be more accurate and helpful for potentially discerning rasikas to appreciate how these two ragas (which will almost be never sung back to back in a Carnatic concert) have been so well handled without confusing the general listener but yet the N3 leaves the impression that the song is tuned in Hamsadhwani alone - to even some of the discerning rasikas, till one looks into it more keenly.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

RaviSri wrote: This apart, your assertion that Dwijavanti has similarities with Sahana and Kapi. Sahana yes, but Kapi? How? Dwijavanti has similarities with Sahana, Yadukulakambhoji and Durbar.
RaviSri, I do not think of dwijavanti and kApi together either, but here is one intriguing thing. Ms. Charlulatha writes that the Viswaroopam song 'unnai kANamal' is based on Dwijavanthi, but to me it sounded like piloo in some places. piloo and kApi are related, aren't they?

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

I don't listen to the recent film songs so I don't know about the song you have mentioned.

Piloo is what they call Hindustani Kapi in CM. Almost all songs in the original (Karnataka) Kapi have been changed to Hindustani Kapi or more appropriately Piloo by introducing G3 and N3. Unfortunately the original Kapi is almost lost excepting for 'jUtAmu rArE', the nauka charitram song of Thyagaraja, venkaTAchalapatE of Dikshitar ad akhilANDEshwari of Shyama Sastri.

In Dwijavanti, the handling of that raga by the Dhanammal family is different from that by SSI, KVN etc., and mostly resembles the SSP notation. Subbarama Dikshitar has said that besides Yadukulakambhoji, Sahana and Durbar, Dwijavanti has shades of Bhairavi too which I forgot to mention in my last post. Dwijavanti has got nothing to do with (Karnataka) Kapi.

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

clmweb wrote:Notes of Peace - Raga Mukhari
New video on Raga Mukhari (presented in English):
A Raga's Journey - Raga Mukhari (Part 1)

clmweb

Post by clmweb »

Recent additions:

Raga Bilahari
Raga Saveri
Raga Yamunakalyani

Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... aRW8h-9nTt