satyabalu

Latantapriya

Post by satyabalu »

Marachitiyo Ma Ramana-Latantapriya-Yoganarasimha
Can someone explain on this rare raga?

satyabalu

Re: Latantapriya

Post by satyabalu »

Gayathri Girish informs"Marachitivo ma Ramana. Latantapriya is derived from mayamalavagowla. SRMPDS SDPMRS. Sounds very similar to malahari"
Lakshman&others to please provide the list of songs we have in this Rare Raga.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

This scale is also known as karnataka shuddha savEeri.MD's composition EkAmbrEshanAyikE is one I Know.Yes,it is pretty close to malahari;malahari has G in the avarahonam,thats all.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

ganeshkant wrote:This scale is also known as karnataka shuddha savEeri.MD's composition EkAmbrEshanAyikE is one I Know.Yes,it is pretty close to malahari;malahari has G in the avarahonam,thats all.
Few years back When suryaprakash sang a latanthapriya krithi nAdathinal namakku nalam peravE thillai , swarna venkatesha deekshitar krithi , he exactly said the similiarity of karnataka sudda saveri and lathantapriya. There is a touch of pathos in this raga and I like this raga a lot .

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

There is one another rAga pretty close to this is Kannada Bangala.Again MD's composition "renuka devi samrakshitoham" is the only one I have ever heard.DKJ's rendering is sort of bench mark for me.

satyabalu

Latantapriya

Post by satyabalu »

I listened to yoga Narasimhan composition "Marachitivo"in this Raga.understand this is a Janya of MMG(15) SRMPDS SDPMRS.It resembles Malahari .
Last edited by satyabalu on 05 Dec 2014, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Another name for this raga is " karanataka suddha saveri" of M S Dixithar ( "EkAmrEsa nAyikE")

harimau

Post by harimau »

Pasupathy wrote:Another name for this raga is " karanataka suddha saveri" of M S Dixithar ( "EkAmrEsa nAyikE")
Karnataka Suddha Saveri is a janya raga of the first mela, Kanakangi.

The original poster said Latantapriya is a janya of Mayamalavagowlai.

Someone should check with Raganidhi or some such book and clarify.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

satyabalu
U already had a thread created for the same .

Mods,
Merge this please with http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... tantapriya

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

harimau wrote: Pasupathy said : "Another name for this raga is " karanataka suddha saveri" of M S Dixithar ( "EkAmrEsa nAyikE ) "

Karnataka Suddha Saveri is a janya raga of the first mela, Kanakangi.

The original poster said Latantapriya is a janya of Mayamalavagowlai.

Someone should check with Raganidhi or some such book and clarify.
According to Raga Pravaham ( compiled by: D.Pattammal and Dr Dhandapani ), both LP and KSS are janya-s of Kanakangi and have exactly the same arohanam and avarohanam.... SRMPDS and SDPMRS. LP's defn is taken from Sangitha Swara Prasthara Sagaram of Nathamuni Pandithar and KSS' defn is taken from Sangeetha Sampradaya Pradarsini of Subbarama Dikshitar. Hence LP and KSS are just two different names for the same raga.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

If Latantapriya's arohana and avarohana are S R1 M1 P D1 S - S D1 P M1 R1 S, it could be considered a janya of several ragas including Kanakangi and Mayamalavagowla, even Todi. Malahari would be very similar to it, with a G3 added to the avarohana: srmpds-sdpmgrs.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Ranganayaki wrote:If Latantapriya's arohana and avarohana are S R1 M1 P D1 S - S D1 P M1 R1 S, it could be considered a janya of several ragas including Kanakangi and Mayamalavagowla, even Todi. Malahari would be very similar to it, with a G3 added to the avarohana: srmpds-sdpmgrs.
As I remember, if there are several candidates for the mother-raga, the usual convention is to name the very first mELakartha among the candidates as the mother raga. I don't know if there are exceptions to this convention.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Yes, that is there, but it seems to be loosely practiced. Sarasangi is numerically the first in the list of the melas that may be considered as janaka ragas for Hamsadhwani, but is never actually called its janaka raga. I think the numerical order, though it follows a set pattern, is arbitrary, we could very well invert the whole melakarta system and have an equally valid rotation of swara combinations. It is an artificial classification of janya ragas. For me the janaka and janya system of classifying ragas is just an efficient way to discuss and remember the scales. To me it makes no difference which raga (of the several possibilities) Latantapriya is classified under.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

>>For me the janaka and janya system of classifying ragas is just an efficient way to discuss and remember the scales.>> I agree. Also by doing this in this systematic way, we are able to find dual/other names for the same raga in different books, such as the case in point. Otherwise it will be a laborious excercise, in my opinion.

Whether this classification of scales gives the right way to approach the elaboration of the raga , the "colour" of the janaka-raga that should be given to the janya-raga etc...has been debated in learned circles in the past , as I vaguely remember. And is perhaps not a closed book.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Not a closed book, certainly, so I take the point of view which pleases me in keeping with my general thinking on classification according to first melakartha, or bhava connection.

I suppose the theory of Carnatic music has not been formalized, I believe that is a good thing, leaving each practitioner free to interpret. These are probably best left to interpretation, for the greatest sense of life.

I did stress on "To ME" in the last sentence of my previous post.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Pasupathy wrote:
As I remember, if there are several candidates for the mother-raga, the usual convention is to name the very first mELakartha among the candidates as the mother raga. I don't know if there are exceptions to this convention.
The immediate fallout of this convention is that there can be no janya raga from the prathi madhyama melakartha ragas with the madhyamam absent. [-x

Do people give the slightest thought to the implications when they make up these stupid idiotic rules? :-o

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Remember reading an article by Ravikiran arguing for the scrapping of the "lowest match" rule & going by raga bhava. I feel that it makes sense too but may become a daunting task.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote: Karnataka Suddha Saveri is a janya raga of the first mela, Kanakangi.
<some time later>
Do people give the slightest thought to the implications when they make up these stupid idiotic rules? :-o
Obviously they don't

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »