kAmavardhini

Rāga related discussions
vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

51 st mela rAga. This is also called panthuvarali.Very prominent rAga which can be elaborated easily to provide various rasas of this rAga.

One remarkable aspect of this raga, although it's called kAmavardhini, we see a couple of songs on Lord Shiva who had reduced Manmatha to ashes using his third eye.

To start with Thyagaraja has composed 'shobAne' a utsava sampradaya keerthana in this rAga.

shambho mahadeva & shiva shiva enarada (Thyagaraja);
rAmanatham bhajeham (Muthuswamy Dikshitar, A composition on lord rAmanatha at Rameshwaram), these 3 songs on Lord Shiva straight away comes to our mind.

rasikas can dwell on this point the relationship between kAmavardhani & Lord Shiva ?

Some of the other popular songs are:
vishAlakshi vishweshi(Dikshitar);sundara tara deham(T);raghuvara(T);ninnu nere(T).

Lakshmanji/rasikas can add to this list other popular songs in this rAga.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 03 Apr 2007, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

manjunath

Lji will be away from forum for few days, meanwhile hope this helps -
http://www.karnatik.com/ragasp.shtml

anduNDaka nE vEga
antaa raamamayam - also aananda bhairavi - BR
ammaa unnaiyE - SNB
appa raama bhakti
candana carcita (ashTapadi) - JD
celiya pai (varNam) - TT
cooDarE celulaara - T
dEva jeevanam - SNB
ennagaanu raama bhajana - BR
garuDagamana raaraa - also shuruTTi - BR
hari hariyanukOvE - T
kaa murugayyaa - KI
karuNaakaram shreekaram - TSV
mangaLam bhavatu - HB
naaradamuni veDalina - T
neeyallavO - PS
ninnE nera - T
nirupama sundaraakaraa - OV
parama paavana - T
raghuvara na - T
saaramE gaani - T
shambhO mahaadEva
sharavaNabhavaananda - HB
shiva shiva shiva
shivaananda kaamavardhani - GNB
shObaanE - T
shrishTi sthityantakaarini - HB
sumacara janaka (taana tillaanaa) - RS
sundaratara dEham
taayE idu daruNam
unadu dayai enai - PS
vaaDEra deivamu - T
vidhiyEmi jEyuduraa - T

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

varuga varuga mA mayileri a composition by Dr Balamurali can be added to the above list.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

List of compositions in kAmavardhini

http://indiamusicinfo.com/songs/raga/kamavardhani.htm

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

DRS- Thanks for this link.This list is exhaustive. In fact, in one National Program of Music Concert, Balamurali sang songs from Nauka Charitram. I vividly remember, the kAmavardhini song mentioned in this link, he sang very elaborately.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo Manjunathji and every one,
I shall be pleased if members and rasikas could spare some time to go thru'my creation in KAAMAVARDHINI (my rendering -and rendering of smt.Rajee Gopalakridhnan-posted in WWW.karnatik.com)and give feed back .The Kriti is in glorification of MAKARAJYOTI -TATWAM.
Ramaraj(vageyakara@gmail.com
)

scheduler

Post by scheduler »

vageyakara wrote:Hallo Manjunathji and every one,
I shall be pleased if members and rasikas could spare some time to go thru'my creation in KAAMAVARDHINI (my rendering -and rendering of smt.Rajee Gopalakridhnan-posted in WWW.karnatik.com)and give feed back .The Kriti is in glorification of MAKARAJYOTI -TATWAM.
Ramaraj(vageyakara@gmail.com
)
Shri rAmaraj is precisely referring this krithi "makarajyOti divya darishanamE" in this url
http://www.karnatik.com/c3507.shtml

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Ramaraj- A lovely melodious kAmavardhani followed by a nice composition. I wish both of you (yourself and Smt.Rajee Gopalakridhnan ) all the very best in your creative pursuits in Karnatik Music.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Thanks a lot Mr.Manjunath for your encomiums. Smt. Rajee is known for her consummate skill to bring out the ingredients of raga Bhaavam, SaahityaBhavam especially of my compositions.Dr.V.V.Srivatsa, Prof.TRS and Prof.Ramachandriah have all made special mention to her renderings.She even excells in presenting vivaadi Ragas and some of my
kritis in the Vivadi raagams were rendered with facility and they all have received widespread appreciation. to mention a few 1.KANAKAANGI 2.GHAMBHEERAVAANI -JANYA OF 30TH MELAM NAAGAANANDINI, 3)CALANAATA 4 NAASIKAA BHOOSHANI 5 RASIKAPRIYA
In which I have composed kritis on different deities

Ramaraj

prashant

Post by prashant »

A song which could do with more popularity is shrI sundara rAjam bhajEham of MD. It's a weighty piece in 2-kaLai chaukam.

I know this must have been answered before, but what is the difference between kAmavardhani and pantuvarALi?

mohan

Post by mohan »

prashant - in modern usage there is no difference between the two.

There is an interesting piece at http://www.chennaionline.com/musicnew/C ... /300th.asp

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

prashant wrote:I know this must have been answered before, but what is the difference between kAmavardhani and pantuvarALi?
kAmavardhini is wrongly called as pantuvarALi. That's all :/

If mEcakalyANi is kalyANi, and dhIraSankarAbharaNa, then shubhapantuvarALi should be pantuvarALi! Not Ramakriya (old name of 51st mELa).

Most of thyAgarAjas kRtis that are sung as mELa 51 are called pantuvarALi in manuscripts. There is also a belief that many of these kRtis morphed into 51st mELa through some Sisyaparmpare of tyAgarAja, and so the misnomer got stuck. (Ref. Dr R Satyanarayana)

-Ramakriya

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

<<kAmavardhini is wrongly called as pantuvarALi. That's all <<

Ramakriya,
Could you please explain. I was under the impression that kamavardhini was the dikshitar equivalent of pantuvarali- just like gamakakriya-poorvi kalyani

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

srinidhi wrote:. I was under the impression that kamavardhini was the dikshitar equivalent of pantuvarali- just like gamakakriya-poorvi kalyani
The vEnkaTamakhi/MD equivalent is kASI rAmakriya, not kAmavardhini. kAmavardhini is the name of the rAga in the sampUrNa mELa system.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

yes DRs sir you are absolutely correct.As per thw KADAPAYAADI sankyaa system the numerical position is 15 and the same is reverted it gives u the pratimadyama parrallel of MAAYAMALAGAULA , which is KAAMAVARDHINI (51st Melam)I request u to kindly view and listen to my kriti Makarajyoti divya dharisaname.
Wherein I have started the pALLAVI Line ma ga ri sa for the saahityam MA KA RA JOti using an appropriate Swaraksharam for the line.
Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 16 Apr 2007, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

If one listens to Sri Manakkal's kAmavardhini http://www.badongo.com/file/2745484 , kAshi ramakriya, the prefix kAshi sounds very correct with Hindusthani touches given in the alapana.

The melas jhala varali , kAmavardhini and shubha pantuvarali have the same swaras but for difference in gAndhara. jhalavarAli has shuddha gAndhara whereas kAmavardhini has anthara gandhara and shubha pantuvarali has sAdharana gAndhara. This might have prompted the raga to be called panthuvarali.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 17 Apr 2007, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Thank you Dr Shrikanth

rajeshnat

Re: kAmavardhini

Post by rajeshnat »

Isn't there supposed to be a difference between the two ragas Pantuvarali(kamavardhini) vs kasiramakriyA.
Harimau said ---> in that the former does not admit of sancharas beyond taara sthayi gandharam

Rajesh looked at Karnatik.com and saw ---->
51 pantuvaraaLi (kaamavardhani) S R1 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S - S N3 D1 P M2 G3 R1 S
kaashiraamakriyaa S G3 R1 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S - S N3 D1 P M1 G3 R1 S

I think we all have agreed there is no difference between Pantuvarali and Kamavardhini- just name change .
Can some expert clarify kasiramakriya and pantuvarali difference?

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

rajeshnat wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a difference between the two ragas Pantuvarali(kamavardhini) vs kasiramakriyA.
Harimau said ---> in that the former does not admit of sancharas beyond taara sthayi gandharam

Rajesh looked at Karnatik.com and saw ---->
51 pantuvaraaLi (kaamavardhani) S R1 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S - S N3 D1 P M2 G3 R1 S
kaashiraamakriyaa S G3 R1 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S - S N3 D1 P M1 G3 R1 S

I think we all have agreed there is no difference between Pantuvarali and Kamavardhini- just name change .
Can some expert clarify kasiramakriya and pantuvarali difference?
I think Ramakriya answered this already but we are still going round and round in circles
ramakriya wrote: kAmavardhini is wrongly called as pantuvarALi. That's all :/

If mEcakalyANi is kalyANi, and dhIraSankarAbharaNa, then shubhapantuvarALi should be pantuvarALi! Not Ramakriya (old name of 51st mELa).

Most of thyAgarAjas kRtis that are sung as mELa 51 are called pantuvarALi in manuscripts. There is also a belief that many of these kRtis morphed into 51st mELa through some Sisyaparmpare of tyAgarAja, and so the misnomer got stuck. (Ref. Dr R Satyanarayana)

-Ramakriya

(Kashi)Ramakriya is the old school name of the 51st mela with R1, G3, M2, D1, N3. Kamavardhani is the new name for the same mela, i.e. having the same swara group (R1G3M2D1N3)

some may say Ramakriya eschews the DNS and has only DS. Kamavardhani of course has no such rule. But I will stick my neck out and say that IMHO, Ramakriya and Kamavardhani are melodically the same. Except for the small caveat that when singing MD kritis one must call it Ramakriya and not Kamavardhani (for maintaining historicity).

As an aside, there is an ata tala varnam by Thanjavur Ponniah Pillai in Ramakriya (chalamu jesedi meragadura) that goes up to tara sthayi Ma and to mandra Da (if not lower).

Now to the other question of Pantuvarali, which refers to the 45th mela R1G2M2D1N3. In the older scheme, it got the name Shiva-Pantuvarali, and the new scheme gave it the name Shubhapantuvarali. Very much like Kalyani becoming Shanta Kalyani (old scheme) and Mecha Kalyani (new scheme).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VenkatPV
Till your last post , I was thinking kamavardhini == pantuvarali. And i was thinking KasiRamakriya is different from kamavardhini.

There were few posts with some one explaining kasiramakriya , but i cannot trace those posts . Your posts certainly reveal more about kasiramakriya (please write only as kasiramakriya and do not shorten as ramakriya),thanks and come to forums at pantuvarali frequency.

I am waiting for folks like ravisri, vidya , keerthi and others also to have their say.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

rajeshnat wrote:(please write only as kasiramakriya and do not shorten as ramakriya),
Rajesh,
shortening it has no impact on the meaning. Kashi is only for katapayadi purposes.
rajeshnat wrote:thanks and come to forums at pantuvarali frequency.
ok, now I am confused (and offended! :D). I assume you mean I should post less frequently, like (Shubha) Pantuvarali?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Yes, surprised this is still making rounds :) Anyway, the following post ( which now I figure out is almost 4 years old) throws some light about the nomenclature, and confusion.

https://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... tuvaraali/

bala747

Post by bala747 »

Posting something on this forum after a long absence so I don't know if it has been brought up, but am I the only one who thinks there is a real difference between Dikshithar's Kasiramakriya (Panthuvarali) and 'traditional' Panthuvarali?

I know the swaras are the same. The way Dikshitar handles this raga is surprisingly different from how Thyagaraja and others have.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Please elaborate. Welcome back!

hanquill

Post by hanquill »

I find that :
1.kamavardhani&panthuvarali are one and the same-sampoorna melam
2.kasiramakriya-also same.-under Asampoornam
For all the above swaras are:
Sa ra gu mi pa dha nu sa
All coming under 51 melam.
(There is a printers devil in Vid T.k. Govinda rao ' s book for the MD kriti-"Margasahayeswaram" where it is mentioned .Aroha- sa gu ra mi pa dha nu sa.".) But in the prayoga one can understand it is -"sa ra " and not "sa gu" which is a printers devil.

While on this I would like to metion .In this raga :IN Tyaga swami kriti " sambo mahadeva-in charanam all books wrongly mention as"gopura vasa".It should be "kovur vasa"because the place is " kovur" which is in chennai-near poonthamalli.This is because it is coming under Tyaga swami "kovur pancharatnam".

Suryasriram

Post by Suryasriram »

hanquill wrote:
While on this I would like to metion .In this raga :IN Tyaga swami kriti " sambo mahadeva-in charanam all books wrongly mention as"gopura vasa".It should be "kovur vasa"because the place is " kovur" which is in chennai-near poonthamalli.This is because it is coming under Tyaga swami "kovur pancharatnam".
It is Gopura Vasa. Kovur is the colloquial version of the world Gopura or 'The place of Cows' as the Sthala Purana tells us about Mahalakshmi who came as a cow to worship Mahadeva here.

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Books published during early part of 20 century clearly say Pantuvarali is only subha pantivarali and Svamys krithis are notated (or mentioned) only as Pantuvarali (45 mela).