Rāga related discussions
Rsachi

AIR FM100.1 series "Swara Samsara"

Post by Rsachi »

I sent a message just now as follows:

Varshini.Blr@gmail.com..
Cc: rasikas.org

Dear DD- Dr. Raghu,
Congratulations on a beautiful programme called "Swara Samsara" featuring illustrative descriptions of janya ragas of famous ragas called Melakarta/Thaat presented with songs and accompaniment by good musicians. I think this series started a few days back and I have already enjoyed the presentations of Messrs Shankar, Rudrapatnam brothers, four ladies including Amrutha Venkatesh, covering ragas like Harikambhoji, Mayamalavagowla, Kharaharapriya, Khamaj Thaat, Todi etc.
Especially the one on Todi today by Amrutha was very well presented and enjoyable.

I really think this series should be available as a recording. Please think through and let us know how this would be possible. I myself didn't bother to record the programme this far. I understand tomorrow will be Bhairavi Thaat by Vid Hawaldar.

Best wishes,

Sachi R. Sachidananda

The programme is aired from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM on Bangalore 100.1FM.

Rsachi

Re: AIR FM100.1 series "Swara Samsara"

Post by Rsachi »

Dr Nagaraj Hawaldar and son presented Bhairav Thaat today. Very inspiring. Most appropriate for the morning. Covered Bhairav(=Mayamalavagowla) , Ahirbhairav(=Chakravaka), Bairagi Bhairav (a bit like Revathi),... They sang compositions in each raga including a PD Ugabhoga! Ended with Bibhas (=Revagupti).. Very inspiring rendition!
Last edited by Rsachi on 28 Apr 2015, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

I am listening to this as well. Very good initiative. Thodi and Mayamalavagaula were excellent. So was today... Not sure of there is a repeat ? I miss the second half.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

They didn't mention any rebroadcasts yet

Rasikapriya2013

Post by Rasikapriya2013 »

Wow, please do let us know if there is any link that we could go online and listen to.
Any elaboration about the songs chosen and how they connected to support their explanation would be very useful.
Thank you Mr. Sachi and Braindrain !

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Rasikapriya2013,
Tune in at 8:30 AM to Amruthavarshini Bangalore station every day and hope for the best!

Sorry I didn't sit down and make recordings or notes. I have become too lazy. I of course thoroughly enjoy the programmes! Amrutha did some amazing comparisons of Dhanyasi and Todi by singing equivalent phrases alternately. A really tough task!

Rasikapriya2013

Post by Rasikapriya2013 »

Thank you for that info :-).
Will try to tune in and try my luck !

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

another good thing about this is they are giving equal share to both Carnatic and hindustani streams of music. The 'thODi thaat' today and the 'bhairavi thaat' the other day were equally enjoyable, to my very very minimal knowledge. The connect to the 'vedic chant tune' to ' Bairagi Bhairav' ( If I remember correctly ) was new to me.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Bairagi Bhairav (Bhairav Thaat it was) is our Revati...remember Bhagyalakshmi played Veda in Revati?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Today's Swara Samsara on Kalyan Thaat by Pt. Parameshwar Hegde was so melodious! He sings with a fascinating quiver and "dard" in his melodious voice. He covered Bhoop, Sudha Kalyan, Shyam Kalyan, Kedar, and Saraswati (I missed the first 10 min)...

varsha

Post by varsha »

All the bairagi bhairavs o the world put together , pale in ront of what U Srinivas conjures up here .
I like to think of him walking up the steps leading to the Golden doors above , strumming this Primordial tune .

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/f9i5j95ijfkh5h7/us.mp3