abhimanamennaDu galguraa - Vivardhani or Kunjari

Rāga related discussions
rahm221

abhimanamennaDu galguraa - Vivardhani or Kunjari

Post by rahm221 »

I heard this song sung by Jesudas. It has 'Thyagaraja' mudhra but I can't find it in Sri T.S. parthasarathy's book. Listed in http://www.karnatik.com/c1356.shtml as a Thyagaraja Krithi. Any Ideas?

maduraimini

Re: abhimanamennaDu galguraa - Vivardhani or Kunjari

Post by maduraimini »

I have heard this song as a child. I thought it was a Patnam Subramaniam Iyer krithi, but I see it in Karnatic .com as a Thyagaraja composition. I also thought the song was in Begada. But Karnatic shows this as raga vivardhani or Kunjari. May be as a child, I was unaware of the ragam, or as a senior don't remember the ragam now!

arasi

Post by arasi »

M&M,
That is another abhimAna--an abhimAnamAna song in an abhimAnamAna rAgam by PaTnam as you say, if I got it right ;)

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Yes, this one is different from the popular Patnam subramania Iyer krithi which is indeed in Begada

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is the version by KJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6xrVll3nT4

Karnatik.com does say there are two raga attributions, Vivardhani or Kunjari

But given the vast differences between the two ragas (e.g. Kunjari is a vivadi raga), it is easy to tell it is not Kunjari that KJY is singing.
He is singing as per the Aro/Ava of Vivardhani (it does have quite a bit of resemblance to Kedara Gowla, doesn't it?)

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

vivardhini is indeed similar to kedaragauLa. srmpS Snpdpmgrs [kedAragaula minus n in Arohanam] It also resembles pratApavarali, to a great extent. There is a genuine composition of tyAgarAja's in vivardhini - vinavE O manasA, which was popular among those trained in Kancipuram - DKP-DKJ, Chittoor.S.Pillai and Mukta-Brinda

This same rAga has a song 'AbhimAnamennaDu rA anathuDani nA pai' composed by a certain MannarguDi Rajagopalayyar as part of one of his harikathA nirUpaNam-s, with the tyAgarAja signature. This is the one sung by KJY. His album is the first instance of the name 'kunjari' to the best of my knowledge. I am not aware of any vivAdi variations of kunjari.

AbhimAnamennaDu galgu rAma amarendra nuta is a different, well known song of Patnam Subrahmanaya Iyer in Begada.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Keerthi. That is quite a bit of information you have imparted. btw, my ref to vivAdi regarding kunjari is based on what karnatik.com says
Aa: S R1 M1 P D2 P S, Av: S N3 D2 P M1 G1 R1 S with the G1R1 being the vivAdi pair
Anyway, as you stated, this KJY rendition has nothing to do with this Aro/Ava.

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

Thanks Keerthi, It is not a Thyagaraja krithi, even though Karnatic.com claims so

vasanthakokilam

This same rAga has a song 'AbhimAnamennaDu rA anathuDani nA pai' composed by a certain MannarguDi Rajagopalayyar as part of one of his harikathA nirUpaNam-s, with the tyAgarAja signature. This is the one sung by KJY.
Keerthi, KJY sings it as 'abhimAnam(e)nnaDu kalgurA anAthuDaina nAdupai nIku'. Still the same as MannarguDi Rajagopalayyar's song?

Rahm221, what Sri. Govindan writes in http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.co ... -raga.html may corroborate your conclusion.

"As per remarks available in the book 'Compositions of Tyagaraja' by Sri TK Govinda Rao, this kRti is believed to be not written by SrI tyAgarAja, but sung by certain lineage of disciples of SrI tyAgarAja."

Govindan also has it as raga Kunjari

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Keerthi, KJY sings it as 'abhimAnam(e)nnaDu kalgurA anAthuDaina nAdupai nIku'. Still the same as MannarguDi Rajagopalayyar's song?
VK,

I left out the galgu rA in my post. However I'm sure it is the same song. [It is also possible that KJY got a different textual variant of the song - nA pai vs nAdu pai is a minor variation]