Gathibhedapriya

Rāga related discussions
Chapatilover

Gathibhedapriya

Post by Chapatilover »

This might be a totally stupid question but I'll take the risk, I came across a BMK thillana and it is listed as "Gathibhedapriya Ragamalika"...any meaning to this or is gathibhedapriya just the name of a ragam? TY in advance

Rsachi

Re: Gathibhedapriya

Post by Rsachi »

Sir
You will find this track in Sangeethapriya.org
http://sangeethapriya.gotdns.org:8080/c ... FuYS5tcDM=

As the charana clarifies it is a tillana composed by BMK in five ragas and five gatis=nadais
Magurupriya (?)
Rasikapriya
Gayakapriya
Sunadapriya
Kharaharapriya

I will have to eat a whole lot of wholewheat chapatis :D to provoke myself into researching further into each of the nadais=gatis and the lesser known ragas! :D

If you find more info., kindly let me know.

By the way I also found a Google group disc. with this statement:
There is a Carnatic Raga that has the scale S R2 G3 M2 D2 N2 S, I think
it is called Gatibhedapriya... BMK has composed a ragamalika Tillana
whose Pallavi is in this raga.

I think we can safely GI tag this as "Carnatic Innovation".

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Chapatipriya is similar to saappaatturaman. Perhaps there is a Ragam called saappaatturaman.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Raman sir,
You have given an idea to raga creators!
Chapatipriya has the following arohana and avarohana

S P D1 S' / S'D2 P S

A composition could go like this:

Ta tom ta tom taka
Taka dhimi taka jhaNu |P|

Dhi tam taka dhi tam taka
Dhi tam taka dhi dhi dhi tom |AP|

Ni mahimamaye nannu brovave
Chapatipriye Lokanayike. . . |C|

(Cha = S. pa = P. ti = D. With some swarakshara thrown in)

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I listened to this tillana and could not tell the what raga the pallavi was..

Rsachi, he sounded as though he said SATgurupriya (not magurupriya)..

swaras drawn from Vachaspati...

Thanks for the good laugh I had just now.. :)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Ranganayaki,
You're right. he sings mA sadgurupriya.

By the way, Gurupriya is a janya of Vachaspati!!!

Gurupriya S R2 G3 M2 D2 N2 S S N2 D2 M2 G3 R2 S

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Then Gurupriya it is - to answer Chapatilover's :) question, Gatibhedapriya is probably a description of the tillana and not a raga..

Chapatilover, all comments in good fun :). You are a new member! Welcome :) Thanks for the levity you provided.

Can anyone describe the gati/laya elements in this tillana?

srini_pichumani

Post by srini_pichumani »

All,

Yes, it is just figuratively described as "Gatibhedapriya" since it features all the gatis.

The opening raga is indeed Gurupriya -- my impression is that Balamurali gaaru has made it a little easy on the ear by not going all out for a Debussy scale i.e. S R2 G3 M2 D1 N2 S, instead moderating the ascent with a D2 N2 S.

This tillana was released in the 80s on a Sangeetha cassette but Balamurali gaaru himself describes this composition in some detail in his 1979 Milwaukee concert that is available on Sangeethapriya. He mentions it as a (then) recent composition of his and explains the gati/laya elements.

I love this tillana (as I do all of his tillanas, varNams, and most kritis) for the panache with which he renders the different raagams like Rasikapriya, Gayakapriya, Sunaadapriya, although the ta-da-ri ti-da-ri syllabes took some getting used to and the gati transitions have seemingly a tinge of unsteadiness about them !

-Srini.

ps: Similarly, he has composed another tillana called 'ThAyarAgamAlikA" which starts off in Kalyani and goes through interesting s'rutibhedams, including a normal one, others with dropped svarams to create auDuva (pentatonic) raga impressions, and a final sleight-of-hand !

DrMM

Post by DrMM »

DrBMK garu has composed a kirtana -Deivamu neeve sakala prANiki in Raga Gurupriya which is indeed the janya of VAchaspathi(mela no.64). My only regret to some extent in this Tillana is that we do not get an adequate picture of SunAdapriya. Texts mention this raga as a janya of Simhendramadhyama (mela no.57). Is there any other kirtana in this raga?