Manodharma

Rāga related discussions
vgovindan

Manodharma

Post by vgovindan »

I am giving here under two quotes - one from sitarist Nikhil Banerjee (writeup posted under Hindustani Sangeet) and one from Sri AM Sharma. Both these are conflicting. I place these for consideration of our rasikas-

"...None of the movements of alap-playing were taught, for he stated that alap or raga elaboration could only be learned much later, when one had a firm understanding of the ragas acquired through learning many compositions....."

"....for the first time in the history, making the process very strictly 'time-bound and result-oriented' in which the aspirant is assured of becoming able to ........or to sing Swarakalpana or Ragalapana hardly within the span of only one year......"
AM Sharma - (last para of the post)
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 20#p289920

arasi

Re: Manodharma

Post by arasi »

Govindan,
Akellagaru's spirit is indomitable, his determination unshakable. Something we all can admire in a person. It's his methodology with the fire and brim approach which is a bit unnerving. To one who does not have a clue about methodology in music training, it somehow seems to me as if the soul in music can take care of itself (ha!), and it's only the form that children need to be trained in. An excellent tutorial college can help you get top marks in exams, I'm sure, but will it bring the joy of learning in the way of one being a student who goes through the rich experience of being at a university? In sports, this kind of training seems right. Rigorous training, winning being the mantrA. Even there, some talented kids will go their way, finding a non-competitive sport to pursue, without wanting to be an automaton.

I think parents play a part in it too. Let's forget the child for a moment. If the parents are competitive, want quick results to flaunt them as performing children within a short period of time, well, there you go.

When I was a child, I learnt this song at school (in Andhra).

chanda mAma, chanda mAma, chanda mAmA (Oh, moon!)
anda chandAla muddu chanda mAmA! (beautiful, precious moon!)

rOZu rOzukku nIvu nAzUkkugA perugi (how sweetly, gracefully, day by day you grow!)
padnAlgu rOzulaku paNDulAgavtAvu! (in fourteen days, you ripen to a fruit) Make days years for music!

uppongip pOyAvE, chanda mAmA (you are full grown now, brimming)
ullAsamistAvE chanda mAmA! (you give us joy!)

Another image: in films, they can't afford to tell a long story. So they switch from the image of children playing in one frame, to their being adults in the next :)

As you feel, and I do too, if that music isn't going to be a long haul of experience which eventually gives them joy all through their lives, and the parents savor this along with them, whether the children perform or not, it is worth it. Otherwise, they could as well be training for performances which are tantamount to
'train like crazy and reap 'success' speedily' in anything you wish...:)

hanquill

Re: Manodharma

Post by hanquill »

Experts say .it is a combination of two factors:a.deep knowledge of that particular raga&knowing several kritis onthat raga 2application of different approach of raga in a ascending & descending scale 'providing pauses and improvisations wherever necessary,depending on availability of time.