Rare raga-Thiagaraja

Rāga related discussions
satyabalu

Rare raga-Thiagaraja

Post by satyabalu »

#Tyagaraja250 - 61. His opera Prahlada Bhakti Vijayam has songs in ragas that he has not used otherwise - paras & ghaNTa are examples
Courtesy Sriram venkatakrishnan.

bhakthim dehi

Re: Rare raga-Thiagaraja

Post by bhakthim dehi »

This detail is correct only regarding pharaz. He has composed many songs in ghanta. Garavimparada, inka yochanaithe, peruku paalu, unnathavuna are a few examples.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I am looking for the Paras krithi, which wasn't in the list on the tribute pages. Can you help?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

SrinathK, I understand you are working on an archive of TyAgaraja's composition, and may be interested in getting a version - any version of the Paras song - Varamaina nEtrotsavamanu. You can find it at this location - Sangeethapriya - TVG - folder # 1975 - TyAgarAjarin Prahlada Bhakti vijayam - isai citram

However a couple of points about this song. It is tyAgaraja's sole composition in Paras, and he has set it in a classical varNameTTu suitable for the daru, and not set it in the kRti type of raga treatment. The older phrases like dd/s, seen in Paras (and occasionally in ardradesi and rAmakriyA) are conspicuous, establishing the vintage worth of the melodic setting. This is the penultimate song of the opera, addressed to the Sun who is rising, towards the end of the opera, for an auspicious culmination of the story.

A note about the current musical setting of this song - All the prevalent versions of this daru, I suspect, are based on Prof Sambamoorthy's notations of the PBV opera. Unfortunately he has made a mistake in notating this composition, and redistributed the sAhiya of some lines over three Avarta-s of the cApu tAla instead of four, thereby mangling the prAsa structure as well as disfiguring the line boundaries for each line/pada of the caraNa-s.

ps - I know that vid. Seeta Rajan and her students have released a commercial record of the opera. I can't remember if it included the full composition along with the padyams etc, or if was just selected songs. Seeta Rajan is a first class mind when it comes to detecting such flaws in notation, and it is highly likely that she would have corrected the setting.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Keerthi - isn't there a complete version of this gEya nATakamu sung by Manda Smt. Sudha Rani and her students (including Smt. Rama)? Do you know how this parAju kRti has fared there?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Ravi,

I will have to check. It is possible that they have set it right.

I remember being very impressed by the prAsa-correct version of brova bhArama that P.Rama sang for a SVBC TV programme. Smt. Pantula Rama and her violinist spouse, both belong to the class of highly intelligent musician-scholars, who have used their taste and feel for sAhitya - alankara, chandas and literature to enrich their musical sensibilities. That lec-demo that HNBhagavan shared is ample proof of this.