Raghupriya

Rāga related discussions
rajeshnat

Raghupriya

Post by rajeshnat »

Keerthi,

Raghupriya I just googled to find it is melakartha #42. Any close overlap to other major ragas. There is a reference to raghupriya with another name ravipriya too . To the best of my knowledge I have not heard it at all.
The below snippets Have 2 references to Raghupriya.
Bhagyalakshmi on Veena Played this wrote: 05 sadAnanda bhakti – Raghupriya – Kotiswarayyar [AS?]
Malladi Brothers sang this wrote: 4.himagirikumArI(raghupriyA i.e ravikriyA(Venakatamakhi scheme of mELAs), Adi, Dikshitar)-A,S at himagirikumArI.....

varsha

Re: Raghupriya

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/SbalchanderRaghupriya

4 tracks here
sbalchander - raghupriya
nookala Raghupriya
khathilakavamsha - raghupriyA - bAlamuraLikrSna
sadAnanda bhakthi - raghupriyA - kOtisvara aiyar

varsha

Post by varsha »

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Varsha has shared links to the known compositions. The pUrvAnga of Raghupriya corresponds to that of varALi; the second half matches that of nATTai or rasikapriya.

There should be a track of Voleti singing HimagirikumAri with tambura alone, with a few sparrows providing background music. The issue with Dr PAni's pAThAntaram (like many others'), is that he disregarded the differences between the linearised scales of the Govinda scheme of melakartas [kanakangi-ratnangi etc] and the asymmetric scales of mudduvenkaTamakhin scheme [kanakAmbari-phenadyuti etc.].

So we have Voleti singing the ravikriyA song in raghupriyA. Very beautiful, nonetheless.

varsha

Post by varsha »

There should be a track of Voleti singing HimagirikumAri The issue with Dr PAni's pAThAntaram (like many others'), is that he disregarded the differences between the linearised scales of the Govinda scheme of melakartas [kanakangi-ratnangi etc] and the asymmetric scales of mudduvenkaTamakhin scheme [kanakAmbari-phenadyuti etc.].

So we have Voleti singing the ravikriyA song in raghupriyA. Very beautiful, nonetheless.
https://archive.org/details/06HimaGiriK ... ADikshitar

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I JUST happened upon this video of Pantula Rama introducing this raga on SVBC and remembered this thread.

The video begins with an interview/discussion which I didn't watch. Pantula Rama's explanation starts around 6:45.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqqq7omFdE#

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Sri Voleti has rendered Raghupriya and the MD Kriti Himagiri Kumari easwari quite a few times in the AIR concerts. A masterly rendition. Beautiful.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

keerthi wrote:Varsha has shared links to the known compositions. The pUrvAnga of Raghupriya corresponds to that of varALi; the second half matches that of nATTai or rasikapriya.

There should be a track of Voleti singing HimagirikumAri with tambura alone, with a few sparrows providing background music. The issue with Dr PAni's pAThAntaram (like many others'), is that he disregarded the differences between the linearised scales of the Govinda scheme of melakartas [kanakangi-ratnangi etc] and the asymmetric scales of mudduvenkaTamakhin scheme [kanakAmbari-phenadyuti etc.].

Yes, the recording without accompaniment is absolutely beautiful.